Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I bought a Ryzen 7 2700x last night, should I return it because of CES next week?

So I have been wanting to build a fully custom PC for a long time now and went full balls to the wall last night and got a lot of stuff, then when I got home I saw a video that said there was a rumor that the next gen ryzen was going to be announced at CES next week and that all the CPU's were getting an extra 2 cores! So this puts me in a hard spot, do I just build my PC now or should I take back the CPU and motherboard and wait for the announcement because the price of both of them should drop? I never really pay attention to CPU pricing, when new CPU's get announced do the prices of last gen chips drop a ton? or do they only drop a lot when the new chips are avalible? 

 

If the price drop isn't going to be huge then I will probably just bite the bullet and build it now because the store is an hour away, but if it is a big drop then I guess I can wait another week. ;-;

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a really solid CPU and if you got it for a good price, thats more justification. You should probably just keep it, and if the Zen 2 CPU's are as cheap as the leaks speculate, then you'll be able to justify getting a new CPU since it would be cheap and compatible with your motherboard.

 

Stick around and wait for CES, though. The thing is, you might have to wait a long to get a hold for Zen 2 CPU's.

current pc

i7-8086k (@stock)

evga clc 280 aio

gigabyte aorus z390 pro

oloy warhawk 3000mhz rgb (light blue colorway)

evga gtx 1070 ti ftw

t force delta rgb 250gb ssd

western digital caviar blue 1tb hdd

fractal design meshify c black (w/ blue front panel)

seasonic m12ii evo 620w (gross)

 asus mg248qr 1080p 144hz

dell 1905fp 1024p 60hz 

corsair k55 wired keyboard

logitech g305 wireless mouse

cosair void pro rgb wireless headset

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd return it. Even if it turns out that you arent buying the new CPUs anyway, there should be quite a price cut on the current stuff.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Peter Dozal said:

So I have been wanting to build a fully custom PC for a long time now and went full balls to the wall last night and got a lot of stuff, then when I got home I saw a video that said there was a rumor that the next gen ryzen was going to be announced at CES next week and that all the CPU's were getting an extra 2 cores! So this puts me in a hard spot, do I just build my PC now or should I take back the CPU and motherboard and wait for the announcement because the price of both of them should drop? I never really pay attention to CPU pricing, when new CPU's get announced do the prices of last gen chips drop a ton? or do they only drop a lot when the new chips are avalible? 

 

If the price drop isn't going to be huge then I will probably just bite the bullet and build it now because the store is an hour away, but if it is a big drop then I guess I can wait another week. ;-;

i would wait. i think it would be well worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peter Dozal said:

.

im gonna have to go with return if you experience buyer's remorse with CES, the performance difference is likely huge. Also, new, likely better motherboards.

zen 2 could be up to a 40% bump over zen+

9900k 1.39v 5.2avx 5.0 ring 96C 205w 1.01v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5575 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 15-15-15-33-320-24 ddr4100  bdie 1.5v 45C 1.25sa/1.21io  ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 325w 69C stock voltage (bad ocer) ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3866 cl16 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I'd return it. Even if it turns out that you arent buying the new CPUs anyway, there should be quite a price cut on the current stuff.

Oh yeah! You're right, I didn't think about that.

current pc

i7-8086k (@stock)

evga clc 280 aio

gigabyte aorus z390 pro

oloy warhawk 3000mhz rgb (light blue colorway)

evga gtx 1070 ti ftw

t force delta rgb 250gb ssd

western digital caviar blue 1tb hdd

fractal design meshify c black (w/ blue front panel)

seasonic m12ii evo 620w (gross)

 asus mg248qr 1080p 144hz

dell 1905fp 1024p 60hz 

corsair k55 wired keyboard

logitech g305 wireless mouse

cosair void pro rgb wireless headset

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna assume you're like me, where you've been waiting so long you just don't give a shit if you sink a bit more into it. If you always wait for new tech, you'll be waiting forever. I'm gonna guess you have a motherboard that is compatible with the next gen cpu's, and if so, just keep what you have. By the time the new cpu's are available on the market, you'd be well annoyed with how long it took. If you feel the upgrade is worth it for you, then go for it once they finally come out. You could absolutely flip the 2700x (and maybe even your current mobo) on Ebay when you do upgrade.

 

Though I do agree with return and rebuy once the price cuts hit, we still don't know how long that could all take.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xg32 said:

im gonna have to go with return if you experience buyer's remorse with CES, the performance difference is likely huge. Also, new, likely better motherboards.

You are probably right, its just really bad timing ugh I want to build it so badly haha, I guess I will just return it and wait and see. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peter Dozal said:

You are probably right, its just really bad timing ugh I want to build it so badly haha, I guess I will just return it and wait and see. ?

What motherboard did you end up buying? The Zen 2 CPU's will probably need beefier motherboards.

current pc

i7-8086k (@stock)

evga clc 280 aio

gigabyte aorus z390 pro

oloy warhawk 3000mhz rgb (light blue colorway)

evga gtx 1070 ti ftw

t force delta rgb 250gb ssd

western digital caviar blue 1tb hdd

fractal design meshify c black (w/ blue front panel)

seasonic m12ii evo 620w (gross)

 asus mg248qr 1080p 144hz

dell 1905fp 1024p 60hz 

corsair k55 wired keyboard

logitech g305 wireless mouse

cosair void pro rgb wireless headset

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I'd return it. Even if it turns out that you arent buying the new CPUs anyway, there should be quite a price cut on the current stuff.

I know this is the rational thing to do, but im having a hard time convincing myself to do it. haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mxk. said:

What motherboard did you end up buying? The Zen 2 CPU's will probably need beefier motherboards.

I got the Asus Prime x470-Pro its really nice but yeah if I am going to return the chip then i should also return the motherboard because from gen one to gen two there were new motherboards that worked better with gen 2. So that will probably happen again

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Peter Dozal said:

So I have been wanting to build a fully custom PC for a long time now and went full balls to the wall last night and got a lot of stuff, then when I got home I saw a video that said there was a rumor that the next gen ryzen was going to be announced at CES next week and that all the CPU's were getting an extra 2 cores! So this puts me in a hard spot, do I just build my PC now or should I take back the CPU and motherboard and wait for the announcement because the price of both of them should drop? I never really pay attention to CPU pricing, when new CPU's get announced do the prices of last gen chips drop a ton? or do they only drop a lot when the new chips are avalible? 

 

If the price drop isn't going to be huge then I will probably just bite the bullet and build it now because the store is an hour away, but if it is a big drop then I guess I can wait another week. ;-;

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd return it. Zen 2 CPUs are going to take forever and a day to be released, then good luck finding one of the high-end SKUs for the first couple of weeks. However, that 2700X is going to see a price cut after CES. The price of a new 2700X will likely come down some in the days following CES, and the used market will tank right before Zen 2 drops as people try to dump their old chips so they can grab the presumptive 3700X.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Peter Dozal said:

I got the Asus Prime x470-Pro its really nice but yeah if I am going to return the chip then i should also return the motherboard because from gen one to gen two there were new motherboards that worked better with gen 2. So that will probably happen again

 

I mean if you have the best x470 mobo, then you'd be fine upgrading, but your board isn't the crosshair hero x470. If you end up buying the 2700x after the price cuts, use the saved money for a better motherboard.

current pc

i7-8086k (@stock)

evga clc 280 aio

gigabyte aorus z390 pro

oloy warhawk 3000mhz rgb (light blue colorway)

evga gtx 1070 ti ftw

t force delta rgb 250gb ssd

western digital caviar blue 1tb hdd

fractal design meshify c black (w/ blue front panel)

seasonic m12ii evo 620w (gross)

 asus mg248qr 1080p 144hz

dell 1905fp 1024p 60hz 

corsair k55 wired keyboard

logitech g305 wireless mouse

cosair void pro rgb wireless headset

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd return it. Zen 2 CPUs are going to take forever and a day to be released, then good luck finding one of the high-end SKUs for the first couple of weeks. However, that 2700X is going to see a price cut after CES. The price of a new 2700X will likely come down some in the days following CES, and the used market will tank right before Zen 2 drops as people try to dump their old chips so they can grab the presumptive 3700X.

yeah, that's very sound logic thanks for the advice. I am just tired of waiting haha! but its only a week and I have to wait for my ram to come in the mail anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peter Dozal said:

yeah, that's very sound logic thanks for the advice. I am just tired of waiting haha! but its only a week and I have to wait for my ram to come in the mail anyway. 

Also, hang on to that board just in case you go with a 2700X. The Prime 470-Pro is one of the best in terms of power delivery and VRMs, and that's really important with an 8-core CPU.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Also, hang on to that board just in case you go with a 2700X. The Prime 470-Pro is one of the best in terms of power delivery and VRMs, and that's really important with an 8-core CPU.

Well, I figured I would take both back and just rebuy them after the next gen chip announcement because I would think they both would drop in price. I think the motherboard would drop in price because when gen 2 ryzen came out they released all new motherboards for those chips so that might happen again with gen 3.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Also, hang on to that board just in case you go with a 2700X. The Prime 470-Pro is one of the best in terms of power delivery and VRMs, and that's really important with an 8-core CPU.

It's really not

 

xda4pmf92pw11.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Peter Dozal said:

.

i plan to do a zen 2 build with the fastest memory it supports (because of the way zen's designed), i'd even return that motherboard (memory support) also and go for an optimized build when everything comes out, zen 1 and + will seem so slow in 5 months...

9900k 1.39v 5.2avx 5.0 ring 96C 205w 1.01v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5575 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 15-15-15-33-320-24 ddr4100  bdie 1.5v 45C 1.25sa/1.21io  ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 325w 69C stock voltage (bad ocer) ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3866 cl16 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity could the OP just settle for a C7H when price cuts hit? Would it be viable for Zen 2 or would it still be better to get the motherboards released with the Zen 2 CPUs?

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

 

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

 

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xandredu said:

Out of curiosity could the OP just settle for a C7H when price cuts hit? Would it be viable for Zen 2 or would it still be better to get the motherboards released with the Zen 2 CPUs?

CH7 should be fine, I'm banking on that since that's the reason I got mine. VRMs are utter overkill for a 2700X anyways, should handle Zen 2 chips easily. I assume AMD won't force a chipset upgrade for compatibility either, with a BIOS update it should be compatible. 

X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - just need the motivation/time to actually install them) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - ATI HD4870 512MB - 525GB MX300 + 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

CH7 should be fine, I'm banking on that since that's the reason I got mine. VRMs are utter overkill for a 2700X anyways, should handle Zen 2 chips easily. I assume AMD won't force a chipset upgrade for compatibility either, with a BIOS update it should be compatible. 

This is what I was thinking that's why I've been holding off for a bit and waiting for C7H prices to fall. After I read that the VRMs on the C7H were overkill I thought it would be capable to deal with Zen 2.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

 

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

 

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×