Window 10 OEM moving on same drive

OmicronEta

I currently have a laptop with Windows 8.1 Home and was wanting to upgrade it to Windows 10. I do currently have a spare Windows 10 OEM key and sata sdd. I later would like to put this ssd in a more powerful machine. I have heard that Windows OEM keys cannot be transferred to another machine and was wondering if this was true if it was on the same drive(ie moving the drive over to the new system). Can it be done this way, or should I just pony up for a retail key?

Home Base : Ryzen 5 2400G - ASROCK HDV R4.0 B450M -  Corsair Vengance Pro RGB 2x8GB @3200Mhz - Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT - WB Black (2018) 500GB NVME SSD - 250GB WD (P.O.S.) HDD - 250GB LITEONIT SSD - Cougar MX330 ATX Tower - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GQ 750W Gold- Razer Deathaddder Elite - Corsair K55 RGB Keyboard

2 minutes ago, OmicronEta said:

I currently have a laptop with Windows 8.1 Home and was wanting to upgrade it to Windows 10. I do currently have a spare Windows 10 OEM key and sata sdd. I later would like to put this ssd in a more powerful machine. I have heard that Windows OEM keys cannot be transferred to another machine and was wondering if this was true if it was on the same drive(ie moving the drive over to the new system). Can it be done this way, or should I just pony up for a retail key?

You should still be able to get a free upgrade from Windows 10

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Otherwise

https://youtu.be/vvwjq3Zi3wE

1) No it's not true.

You can move the key anywhere you want.

All you need to do is this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

2) You don't need to use your spare windows 10 key, you can use your 8.1 key to activate windows 10 no problem.

Just use a keyfinder if the key isn't on the sticker on the bottom of your laptop.

3) You should never just "move a drive" to a new system, you should always clean install windows when the motherboard is changing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh and yes, oem is locked to the hardware in your machine.

• If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 license carries the retail rights from which it was derived – can be transferred. But under Microsoft’s rules, you are only entitled to a one time transfer.
  • If you upgraded from an OEM Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 license, these are licenses that come preinstalled on a new computer from a manufacturer, and then your Windows 10 license maintains the OEM rights – cannot be transferred.
  • If you have a full retail copy of Windows 10, you can transfer it as many times as you want.
  • If you performed an Easy Upgrade to the Windows 10 Pro Pack from Windows 10 Home, you can transfer it using Digital Licensing. This is possible because of the Pro Pack, while an upgrade, is a retail license attached to the Microsoft Account used to purchase it.

From www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/amp/