Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stupid proofing my plans

So I'm planning on a new build/upgrading. I am just doing a little for now, so only looking to spend £400 tops and will upgrade my GPU later on.

So my current build is getting pretty sad.

CPU: I5 4590

CPU COOLER: Stock

GPU: GTX 660 OEM

RAM: 12GB DDR3 (one stick died a couple weeks ago)

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H

STORAGE: 2x1TB HDDs, Seagate barracudas I think

PSU: Corsair RM550X

CASE: Coolermaster something or other, Not looking to keep

And a bog standard CD Drive

I'm looking to change to:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo

GPU: Keeping the 660 for now

RAM: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz

MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4

STORAGE: Keeping my 2x1TB HDDs and will maybe grab an SSD further down the line

PSU: Hoping to keep the Corsair RM550X

CASE: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower

And throw in the same CD Drive

So I'm mostly just looking for reassurance that the parts I'm hoping to keep will be fine, mainly the PSU as I'm sure the GPU, CD Drive and Storage shouldn't be a problem, but I have a tendency to overlook things that I don't realise until I everything is in front of me.

Here is the plan on the new parts through PC Partpicker, any recommendations on changing anything out? 

The GPU is what's weak, throw a 1070 in your current system.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Wait for 3rd gen Ryzen to drop prices of current stuff further. Also dual channel memory is what you want but can't get with a single stick, 2x8GB sets are much better deals.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The GPU is what's weak, throw a 1070 in your current system.

I do plan on throwing a 1070 or 1060 in at some point, its just my CPU and RAM are a necessity at the moment for After Effects and Arnold

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Wait for 3rd gen Ryzen to drop prices of current stuff further. Also dual channel memory is what you want but can't get with a single stick, 2x8GB sets are much better deals.

Will the (expected) announcement on Wednesday alone drop prices do you think? As I don't really want to wait much longer to upgrade as starting college again and needing the upgrade for productivity and rendering improvements.

I wouldn't buy first gen Ryzen unless there's a really good deal on an 8-core chip.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

15 minutes ago, TheTimeWinder said:

I'm looking to change to:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo

GPU: Keeping the 660 for now

RAM: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz

MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4

STORAGE: Keeping my 2x1TB HDDs and will maybe grab an SSD further down the line

PSU: Hoping to keep the Corsair RM550X

CASE: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower

And throw in the same CD Drive

would get the 2600 or 1600, x chips aren't worth it imo

no need, except if you want to do heavier overclocks, then I'll recommend the arctic freezer 33 esports one

580 would be nice down the line, or whatever is availible then

is fine, you could also look into ripjaws, as they are normally a little more expensive, but have lower cas latency

would highly recommend getting a ssd

should be possible

look into the focus g and mb511 rgb I would say

yeah, you're still using that?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Wait untill after CES. We will probably have more info on upcomming launches of CPUs and GPUs

wednesday to be specific

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

wednesday to be specific

Pretty much. Does AMD only have their opening event or more?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Pretty much. Does AMD only have their opening event or more?

don't really know. I heared they had a keynote then

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

would get the 2600 or 1600, x chips aren't worth it imo

no need, except if you want to do heavier overclocks, then I'll recommend the arctic freezer 33 esports one

580 would be nice down the line, or whatever is availible then

is fine, you could also look into ripjaws, as they are normally a little more expensive, but have lower cas latency

would highly recommend getting a ssd

should be possible

look into the focus g and mb511 rgb I would say

yeah, you're still using that?

The 1600x is about £10 cheaper than the 1600, so I just slapped it on assuming no real downfall.

I've never really looked at Cas Latency and its performance impacts, is it worth paying more for lower?

I'll definitely be getting an SSD down the line.

Thanks for the advice!

4 minutes ago, TheTimeWinder said:

The 1600x is about £10 cheaper than the 1600, so I just slapped it on assuming no real downfall.

I've never really looked at Cas Latency and its performance impacts, is it worth paying more for lower?

I'll definitely be getting an SSD down the line.

Thanks for the advice!

what about the 2600?

it does give some difference, not huge ones, but normally ripjaws with cl15 are about 10 bucks more, so that's why

couldn't agree less

what about the 2600?

it does give some difference, not huge ones, but normally ripjaws with cl15 are about 10 bucks more, so that's why

couldn't agree less

I may go with the 2600, its £20ish more, but I think comes with a stock cooler taking away the need for the Hyper TX3, and of course could drop more after the announcements on Wednesday. And I found some Vengence LPX 2x8gb sticks at 3000Mhz with a Cas latency of 16, so I think the Dual channel should be worth the extra little bit of money, but I'm realising prices of things are super weird over here in England right now compared to the US

5 minutes ago, TheTimeWinder said:

I may go with the 2600, its £20ish more, but I think comes with a stock cooler taking away the need for the Hyper TX3, and of course could drop more after the announcements on Wednesday. And I found some Vengence LPX 2x8gb sticks at 3000Mhz with a Cas latency of 16, so I think the Dual channel should be worth the extra little bit of money, but I'm realising prices of things are super weird over here in England right now compared to the US

yeah, then you haven't seen dutch pricing yet... is definitly worth the money, but you might be able to find a kit of ripjaws with cas15 if you're lucky

yeah, then you haven't seen dutch pricing yet... is definitly worth the money, but you might be able to find a kit of ripjaws with cas15 if you're lucky

Ahh right, well thanks for all the help man, gonna wait for the coming Wednesday and see what happens to prices! :D

Just now, TheTimeWinder said:

Ahh right, well thanks for all the help man, gonna wait for the coming Wednesday and see what happens to prices! :D

i don't freakin know. If there are going to be 16 cores on those r9's, i'll probebly burn down my 8600k...

/jk I love my baby