Moving OS to SSD from SSHD

kann

hi guys,

I just got a laptop which had sshd installed in it, so i installed an additional NVME SSD in it and wanted to move my OS to it.

What are the best and easiest ways to do it. I'm not as computer savvy so you might have to tel me in detail a little bit how to do it.

Thank you.

Just now, kann said:

What are the best and easiest ways to do it. I'm not as computer savvy so you might have to tel me in detail a little bit how to do it.

You can clone your OS, apps, and files to your new SSD using Macrium Reflect. It's recommended for beginners. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Your options are:

• Using a data migration tool and hope its smart enough to account for capacity differences
  • Install Windows on the SSD, move your data over, and format the SSHD when you're done.

If you purchased a Samsung SSD, they have a data migration tool that's easy to use and accounts for capacity differences.

9 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

You can clone your OS, apps, and files to your new SSD using Macrium Reflect. It's recommended for beginners. 

thanks.

can i do that with the free version. Also, do i need to change any boot settings if i do that. can i format the disk if it migrates the data successfully.

12 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Your options are:

• Using a data migration tool and hope its smart enough to account for capacity differences
  • Install Windows on the SSD, move your data over, and format the SSHD when you're done.

If you purchased a Samsung SSD, they have a data migration tool that's easy to use and accounts for capacity differences.

what do you mean by capacity differece. i have adata 256GB SSD.

3 minutes ago, kann said:

what do you mean by capacity differece. i have adata 256GB SSD.

Your SSHD is likely 1TB with a partition of close to that size. A naive cloning tool won't attempt the clone because you can't fit a 1TB drive into a 256GB one. Ones that are smart enough to account for this will only tell you it's not possible because the amount of used space is over the capacity of the destination drive.

17 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Your options are:

Do you mean the samsung Magician software? - will do the SSD -> M.2 move sometime this year also including a bigger M.2 than the SSD... Both presumably Samsung drives - Planning to even get an enterprise grade M.2 from them.

You are allowed to have animated avatars on LTT, but - try to have images like "userbars" in the signature - no chance...

Excels last cell is XFD1048576 and once was IV65536.

(if you want to have the most effective mousepad - use a colored matte floor tile)

6 minutes ago, paradonym said:

Do you mean the samsung Magician software? - will do the SSD -> M.2 move sometime this year also including a bigger M.2 than the SSD... Both presumably Samsung drives - Planning to even get an enterprise grade M.2 from them.

The Data Migration tool works if the destination device is a Samsung one. It doesn't matter what the source device is.