Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help !! Graphics 720p vs 1080p HP Pavillion

LucaGio9

Hi guys !!

I have a problem. I am currently running an HP Pavilion dv6 PC with an i3 Arrandale 2 core with a motherboard HP 144a. I have already placed an SSD 240..but the graphics are Arrandale Intel HD graphics 2,68GB

The question is two part: 

Can I upgrade the graphics card so I can obtain 1080p

can I use a FULL HD MONITOR with a 1920 x 1080p AND IF so, how would I see the resolution given the graphics card I have now? will it be pixeled? the monitor I am thinking of purchasing is 27Inch  Samsung...

if anyone can tell me if these upgrades can be done..this would be a GREAT Xmas gift.

thanks, guys !! 

Oh and greetings from Italy 

To be honest rather than throwing money away at this clearly outdated system, you'd be better off buying/building a new PC. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

To be honest rather than throwing money away at this clearly outdated system, you'd be better off buying/building a new PC. 

and it's a laptop...

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

and it's a laptop...

So it is :)

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I don't have the money atm to do so...ergo my question...I live on a fixed income..sadly

Technically you can do it with a external PCIe adapter which would connect to your mPCIe connector inside your laptop, wi-fi module is usually plugged in there, some models have two or more connectors. For that to work you would need a GPU, of course, PCIe adapter like EXP Beast etc, full desktop PSU, and it takes some work not to have cable mess on your table. There could be issues if used on laptop monitor itself but should work just fine if plugged in the external monitor which u intend to do with some performance loss over the full PCIe 16x slot on normal motherboards.

Would i recommend it,no, but if u insist on going that route i would go with a GTX 750Ti or similar,especially if u are on a tight budget, just to make some stuff playable. Hopefully this helps. 

1 minute ago, filippalfi said:

Technically you can do it with a external PCIe adapter which would connect to your mPCIe connector inside your laptop, wi-fi module is usually plugged in there, some models have two or more connectors. For that to work you would need a GPU, of course, PCIe adapter like EXP Beast etc, full desktop PSU, and it takes some work not to have cable mess on your table. There could be issues if used on laptop monitor itself but should work just fine if plugged in the external monitor which u intend to do with some performance loss over the full PCIe 16x slot on normal motherboards.

Would i recommend it,no, but if u insist on going that route i would go with a GTX 750Ti or similar,especially if u are on a tight budget, just to make some stuff playable. Hopefully this helps. 

thansk for the idea I will check it out !!

Just now, PacketMan said:

I'll go with the "Don't even bother" comment

Too much money for so little upgrade, and you won't recover your inversion

would a i7 with dedicated graphics with say 2 or 4 GB and 8 or 16GB RAM WOULD DO BETTER ? 

1 minute ago, LucaGio9 said:

would a i7 with dedicated graphics with say 2 or 4 GB and 8 or 16GB RAM WOULD DO BETTER ? 

which dedicated card? It would, yeah. 

1 minute ago, LucaGio9 said:

can you upgrade the CPU in your laptop in the first place? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Current Rig - i7 6950X - EVGA X99 Classified - 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 - 2060 Super FE - 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB WD Blue SSD + 1TB MX500 - LG WH14NS40 BluRay Drive - EVGA 1000W G3 - Corsair Air 540 - Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000 (rear) + 3x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (radiator) - LG 27UK650-W (27" 4K60hz) - Custom CPU/GPU Loop w/single 360mm rad - Windows 10

Project Rig (WIP) - Xeon I forgot the name of - NH-L12S - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 4x4GB 2800MHz DDR4 - WX2100 2GB - 256GB 960 Evo - Flex-ATX PSU - Old Dell OEM case - Noctua 80mm fans - probably will be windows

Daily Devices:

(work laptop) MacBook Pro 15,4 - i7 4980HQ - 16GB DDR3L - Iris Pro/Radeon R9 M370X 2GB - 1TB SSD - macOS 12.3 Monterey   

iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB - iOS 15.4

4 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

laptop? no laptop iGPU is good enough for gaming I'd say

even a shitty desktop (FX 6300, 8GB RAM, GT1030) would do the trick rather than spending money on low ending laptops if you want to play videogames

I used to have an MSI i5 4200H, 4GB RAM and a GT840, and it worked really fine for the little gaming I did back in the day, I sold it like 4 years ago for about 400 euros, you could get one of those for about 250 euros now?

Thats true, prebuilts with Haswells are quite cheap now with 4460s, stick the 1050Ti in and ure good to go with not that much cash spent. 

4 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

laptop? no laptop iGPU is good enough for gaming I'd say

even a shitty desktop (FX 6300, 8GB RAM, GT1030) would do the trick rather than spending money on low ending laptops if you want to play videogames

I used to have an MSI i5 4200H, 4GB RAM and a GT840, and it worked really fine for the little gaming I did back in the day, I sold it like 4 years ago for about 400 euros, you could get one of those for about 250 euros now?

Packetman: saludos de italia (si hablo castellano) anyways I will reply in English for the rest of the crew.... I am debating wheter to get a desktpo or laptop..is not so much gaming I want to do but FULL HD MOVIES AND OPEN SEVERAL PROGRAMS SUCH AS GOOGLE CHROME (hogs RAM) and say a video editor, word ect..you get the idea... 

Just now, LucaGio9 said:

Packetman: saludos de italia (si hablo castellano) anyways I will reply in English for the rest of the crew.... I am debating wheter to get a desktpo or laptop..is not so much gaming I want to do but FULL HD MOVIES AND OPEN SEVERAL PROGRAMS SUCH AS GOOGLE CHROME (hogs RAM) and say a video editor, word ect..you get the idea... 

Yeah, then getting a prebuilt office machine with an i5 of some sort would do good, get a GPU, put it in and ure ready to go. Lenovo M83 mini towers with Haswell CPUs are quite cheap nowadays. 

32 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Saludos compañero!

As @filippalfi said, prebuilts systems are really cheap right now, you could get a 2nd to 4th gen Intel CPU (i5, even i7) and 4GB of RAM (you could debloat Windows, google it for more info) for very little money, and for gaming it really depends on the game, but for casual and classic gaming (Bioshock, Dead Island, Telltales, Assassins Creed 1, 2, 3, 4...) you could get a used GTX 660Ti, a GTX 750Ti or a GTX 950, those are similar performance so the cheaper you can get, the better, also you could look for AMD "beasts" (HD7870, those ones) with great performance for so little money but, again, it depends on the games you'll play

If you don't need a laptop, you can just buy a crappy office PC with the mentioned and find good deals on used GPUs

You can web browsing, watch FHD movies and some video editors with very little hardware, some cheap old gaming PC like this one (just to make it clear) or a used laptop

How much do you plan on spending? You can get a pretty sweat rig like this or getting a lower ending APU like this, I recommend you the channel LowSpecGamer, who reviewed that APU

If you find it interesting, I can guarantee you that an i5 6600 with no dedicated GPU can handle pretty good videogames (for example, played Borderlands 2 at 720p and low settings, bioshock the same, dead island the same) and it can handle everything and more

Basically, just find something that could run the game you want to play at 720p/1080p and medium settings, getting 60 fps and sure it will last you long for other games

Hope you find this information useful and get a nice computer!

can I contact you via Whatsapp so I can get more ideas and not bore everyone else?