Torn between Ryzen 2700x and 8700k

I intend to build a PC that will mainly be used for 3d modeling and rendering. I will be using Sketchup, Rhino (w/ Grasshopper), 3dsMax, AutoCAD, and rendering in Corona from 3dsMax. I would rather be able to navigate complex 3d models smoothly than render quickly. Some of the simulations and operations I run in Rhino and 3dsMax can be fairly complex.

I attempted to get some answers via the r/BuildAPC subreddit, but I just became more torn on whether to go with the tried-and-true 8700k or the Ryzen 2 route (2700x). For instance, this source show the 2700x consistenly performing better than the 8700k, yet this source shows the 8700k ahead. From my understanding, Ryzen 3's will be launched in the coming months with the possibility of being compatible with Ryzen 2 motherboards—this makes them an intriguing option.

This is my current build. My budget is ~$2000 USD.

Either cpu would work great for your use case, as far as the benchmarks go, I would ask what gpu they were using because I know a professional workstation gpu would help performance in alot of those workloads as opposed to a gaming gpu!

Just now, alright_MEATBAGS said:

Either cpu would work great for your use case, as far as the benchmarks go, I would ask what gpu they were using because I know a professional workstation gpu would help performance in alot of those workloads as opposed to a gaming gpu!

I plan on going with a Quadro P4000

Just now, FrankGehry said:

I plan on going with a Quadro P4000

Then either cpu is going to work great and I doubt in real world use there is even a noticeable difference! So, I would go with whatever platform is cheaper!

In general, 8700k will win in gaming, Adobe suite workloads and other single thread bound workloads, and 2700x will win at everything else.

In your case, a 2700x is probably the better option.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

wait untill after CES before pulling any trigger. 

new CPUs are rumoured to be teased/announched.

Could I go ahead and buy my GPU, coolers, RAM, etc?

1 minute ago, FrankGehry said:

essentially, yes. as long as it is a newer Cooler and the ram is 3000/3200mhz (which you should be buying regardless)

amd alternative

intel alternative

8 minutes ago, FrankGehry said:

Unless you stumble upon an amazing deal, or you plan on getting ryzen 2 and then later upgrading to ryzen 3 given motherboard compatabilty, I dont see why you would buy any of the other components right now if you're going to be without a cpu.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

amd alternative

intel alternative

I appreciate the build break-down. I should've mentioned this, but I already have a Corsair Carbide 400q case. Would the AMD build be compatible with that?

I appreciate the build break-down. I should've mentioned this, but I already have a Corsair Carbide 400q case. Would the AMD build be compatible with that?

oh, no problem I don't see why not

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh, no problem I don't see why not

One more question...Why is the Windows 10 operating system showing a price of only $15?

One more question...Why is the Windows 10 operating system showing a price of only $15?

because gray market exists. I just set a manual price to show you how fed up the microsoft pricing is

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because gray market exists. I just set a manual price to show you how fed up the microsoft pricing is

Gotcha

19 hours ago, BabyPCMR said:

Unless you stumble upon an amazing deal, or you plan on getting ryzen 2 and then later upgrading to ryzen 3 given motherboard compatabilty, I dont see why you would buy any of the other components right now if you're going to be without a cpu.

As far as motherboard compatibility goes between Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPU's, is it pretty well agreed upon that the the soon-to-be- released 3000 CPU's will work in X470 boards?

As far as I know, yes. I was just questioning whether it would be wise to buy components now instead of waiting for the ryzen chips to release and then buying everything at once.

I wouldn't buy anything until CES.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case