PC randomly restarting with no error, started happening after nvidia drivers update but it still happens after a clean windows install. I'm losing my

Dr.Galarga

Alright guys, first off, thanks for taking the time to help out.

My specs:

Asus Crosshair Hero VI (cant remember the bios version, but its not the latest one, since last time I checked some users were reporting bugs and the one I had was working fine).

Ryzen 1700x (not OCd) with a Noctua NH-D15 (both fans on).

Asus ROG 1080ti (not OCd, manually at least)

Corsair 2x8gb 3200mhz running at 2933 (could not get them to post with 3200 and I get headaches when trying to mess around with BIOS settings for ram...)

Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD.
EVGA Supernova G2 1200w

Latest version of Win10.

Now, some background first, I've had this system for about 15 months or so, definitely less than a year and a half. And it's been flawless up until a few weeks ago.

I'm not one to update drivers just because, if it ain't broke dont fix it, and all of that. But I had missed a few months of updates on the GPU side and I wanted to play the latest games, so I figured I should update to get the best performance and stability possible. BIG MISTAKE.

Sometime after I updated to the latest nvidia drivers my pc would just fuck it all and restart, sometimes the screen would freeze, I would still get audio on my headphones, and I had to manually restart it. Most of the time though it was just BOOM BLACK SCREEN and off it went. One time and one time only it said something about my CPU was overheating when windows was booting up, but thats hard to believe as A)I'm running a good cooler. B)I'm not OCd. C)I immediately checked the air being exhausted behind the CPU and it was not even warm, barely room temperature, so all good there, nowhere near "hot" temps.

I decided to just go ahead and do a clean install of Win10 since I keep good backups and it would only take me about 3 hours to get back up and running, and while the resets have been less frequent (maybe one a day or so, whereas before I was getting them every 10 minutes) they still happen...(I did install the appropriate Nvidia drivers, instead of letting win10 do its automatic thingy)

So, I'm at a loss and hoping someone can lend a hand with this.

Many thanks, once again.

13 minutes ago, Dr.Galarga said:

One time and one time only it said something about my CPU was overheating when windows was booting up, but thats hard to believe as A)I'm running a good cooler. B)I'm not OCd. C)I immediately checked the air being exhausted behind the CPU and it was not even warm, barely room temperature, so all good there, nowhere near "hot" temps.

Download a CPU temp monitoring program such as HWInfo64 to check your CPU temps. There may be a problem with the cooler installation, thermal paste, fans, etc that is causing the CPU to overheat.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Download a CPU temp monitoring program such as HWInfo64 to check your CPU temps. There may be a problem with the cooler installation, thermal paste, fans, etc that is causing the CPU to overheat.

I did for a while just to be sure, like I mentioned, the CPU never got hot, during extended gaming (which is about the most demanding thing I do) It hardly got to 57c. 

What about the GPU temperatures? Are they normal as well?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

45 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What about the GPU temperatures? Are they normal as well?

Yeahp, as far as I can tell everything is normal, I have not installed afterburner or the like since doing the clean windows 10 install (I dont really need it TBH) but im 99% sure temps are dandy, I run every game at 1080 and most of the time the GPU does not even spin up. 

EDIT: I know its not temp related because the resets also happen while idling at desktop.

By any chance have you tried to uninstall the new drivers and re install the older drivers?

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

18 hours ago, Psybadek said:

By any chance have you tried to uninstall the new drivers and re install the older drivers?

Hey, thing is, I'm not sure exactly what version of the drivers I should install (appreciate tips on that), and even then, it would be quite annoying to not be able to use the latest drivers and get as much performance as possible from my card.

For example, RE2 is coming out soon and I would like to play it with the latest drivers and all, it would be a damn tragedy to play it with outdated and unstable drivers.

But I get what you are saying!

1 hour ago, Dr.Galarga said:

Hey, thing is, I'm not sure exactly what version of the drivers I should install (appreciate tips on that), and even then, it would be quite annoying to not be able to use the latest drivers and get as much performance as possible from my card.

For example, RE2 is coming out soon and I would like to play it with the latest drivers and all, it would be a damn tragedy to play it with outdated and unstable drivers.

But I get what you are saying!

No problem. Typically I was try and use the previous version before the current. I typically though keep all the old drivers just in case I need to revert back. Sometimes these things happen and it's good to go back until they release a new version to fix these issues. Other than that I totally get that you would want to be current for the latest games.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Alright, an update.

I've managed to replicate the issue when running furmark, it'll run for 2 or 3 minutes, and when the GPU reaches 70c or so, the system will restart.

Tomorrow I'll try the GPU in another PCIe slot, and see if that keeps happening. I'm also open to any other idea, also, let me know if you guys want some extra info from the event viewer or something. 

I'm sincerely hoping the GPU is not at fault since its pretty new, but its still under warranty. Another thing I could try is to update my BIOS version, as I have not done that in a while, though I find it weird, since this same BIOS had been running this GPU without issues for more than a year.