scrapyard wars price/performance from a select year?

i think it would be cool to see a scrapyard wars where the goal is to go for price/performance, but only hardware from a specific year, say 2011, can be used. 

this year for example creates an interesting build, because the GTX 580 was released in 2010, and the 680 in 2012. that leaves the 590, which is a 375W dual-gpu card.

so we'll see obscure hardware that's not regularly used in scrapyard wars. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i think it would be cool to see a scrapyard wars where the goal is to go for price/performance, but only hardware from a specific year, say 2011, can be used. 

this year for example creates an interesting build, because the GTX 580 was released in 2010, and the 680 in 2012. that leaves the 590, which is a 375W dual-gpu card.

This would actually be quite an interesting concept, maybe if you wanna go really hardcore go for early 2000's or something to really make it a challenge to find decent working hardware that could be 15 years old for example

1 hour ago, Big Boi Lime said:

This would actually be quite an interesting concept, maybe if you wanna go really hardcore go for early 2000's or something to really make it a challenge to find decent working hardware that could be 15 years old for example

well it has to be benchmarked somehow... 

She/Her

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

well it has to be benchmarked somehow... 

it could work almost as a how does 15 year old tech hold up to today's demands or something like that? and then chuck in a few older games maybe to see how they perform there, just something to really mix it up from the norm of generally being cosmetic challenges rather than hardware challenges

But they havn't even released a scrapyard wars episode in like 5 months are they even going to continue? (i havnt looked at tweets and such but yea if you guys know can you tell me)

7 minutes ago, AlbatroZZZ said:

But they havn't even released a scrapyard wars episode in like 5 months are they even going to continue? (i havnt looked at tweets and such but yea if you guys know can you tell me)

Generally its a one off series they do which is around 3-5 episodes long, rather than say a weekly/monthly thing so the likely hood is we wont see another one till mid 2019 I'd imagine, or a "tech quiet" period of the year so they still have something that will gain them high viewership consistently.

Just now, campy said:

Anything older becomes super rare and expensive. 

i can get a complete functioning pc from the late 90's for free. i've done it. someone just gave it away. 

She/Her

Just now, campy said:

But was it an actual good performer or comprised of anything unique?

i can grab old dell dimensions with Pentium 3's and Basic video cards all week off the street, but you don't see a lot of early 2000's gaming pcs pop up in dumpsters

it's a pentium 3 so nothing really special. 

and you're wrong there. over here i can get an athlon 64 x2 or core 2 duo system for like €50. 

as for the videocards i can get 9800GTX's and GTX 285's for €20. 

She/Her

On 1/3/2019 at 6:47 AM, firelighter487 said:

Looking for serial numbers all day long at the scrap heep!

But can it run Crysis?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

17 hours ago, campy said:

10-12 year old tech maybe, nvidia 200 series, 9 series, even maybe the 8 series stuff could do SOME things in 2019 but not much

And even then, only the super high end options from their generations would be up to the task at all even with light stuff like CS:GO

Older than that and you run into entirely unusable territory. 

Not to mention as you go older and more high end things get extremely expensive. Nvidia FX 5950 Ultras regularly sell for 200-300$ on eBay. 6800GT AGP cards can be wallet removing buys.

Not to mention things like boards that can support larger quantities of ram to get at least 4-6gb for modern usage, Era power supplies that still work, CPU coolers, drives, etc 

Building an old school early 2000's PC can cost as much as a modern PC build. I paid 100$ for my Ultra x-connect psu from 2002, 50$ for my k7v3m motherboard, 20$ for a thermaltake dragon orb cooler, 20$ for 1gb of 266mhz ddr, my evga GeForce4 ti 4600 came in a lot but I've had people offer me 150$ for it, 120$ for an audigy 2zs sound card, 80$ a piece for WD raptor 10k rpm hard drives...

If they were to actively pursue this idea they would be realistically limited to around 2007 to 2010. Anything older becomes super rare and expensive. Anything newer gets really boring since it's not that interesting.

I understand the obvious limitations but I was going for a rough time frame more than anything, I think as well for the younger audience or people like myself who have only really been into PC tech in the last 4-5 years it could be a great education of older tech, but I think the challenge of finding all the parts would be a great part of the challenge, they seem to find an abundance of tech every series, it always boils down to their budget, I like the idea of making it extremely challenging and pushing them to test their knowledge, I wouldn't expect the PC to run Fortnite on ultra settings at 4K or something like that, but it would be great to see how much the tech has come along IMO. (P.S. I don't play Fortnite but its what the cool kids play apparently).

3 minutes ago, campy said:

It would just be very difficult and time consuming content to make. It couldn't be timed like they usually are because they can grab anything. Limit to a certain era and options diminish.

And as mentioned, the early 2000's would be almost impossible.

ita just not LTT style content 

I never believed for a second they would actually do this, just one of those concepts that would be cool to watch but like you say, very time consuming and limiting, also Lord Linus would probably be disgusted at the lack of performance enhancing RGB to even consider it. 

i think linus mentioned that scrapyard wars was becoming to time consuming and didnt pay off that much but just in case they do decide to make another one i would like to see a real episode of scrapyard wars, ready? here the rule: no...budget!!! literally 0 dollars budget. get it? scrapyard wars. let them search for gifted hardware and whoever finds the best wins. maybe they could collect free hardware "junk" and resell. anyway my guess would be that we would end up with some geforce 2 systems or older. agp, ide, and floppy drives. and then let them battle it out like turtles at the race track. id love to see linus trying to get like 30 more mhz in some desperate attempt to beat luke.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I think it would be super cool to organize a series abroad. No US or Canada, but somewhere else, like Asia, or EU countries. It can also become a series which involves viewers if properly moderated. Investment can be huge of course but I wouldn’t count the pay off just in terms of views of the series. There are tons of people who got to know LTT through scrapyard wars that generate revenues for each video. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 11:03 PM, cluelessgenius said:

i think linus mentioned that scrapyard wars was becoming to time consuming and didnt pay off that much but just in case they do decide to make another one i would like to see a real episode of scrapyard wars, ready? here the rule: no...budget!!! literally 0 dollars budget. get it? scrapyard wars. let them search for gifted hardware and whoever finds the best wins. maybe they could collect free hardware "junk" and resell. anyway my guess would be that we would end up with some geforce 2 systems or older. agp, ide, and floppy drives. and then let them battle it out like turtles at the race track. id love to see linus trying to get like 30 more mhz in some desperate attempt to beat luke.

Yeah I had a similar thought. They should so the one they had been thinking about... as in build the best one they can on whatever influence they have. Except instead of just free brand new gear from the manufacturer... it has to be used hardware.

I think taking on Tech Yes City and Hardware Unboxed in Australia would be cool too.

4 minutes ago, Brodz said:

Yeah I had a similar thought. They should so the one they had been thinking about... as in build the best one they can on whatever influence they have. Except instead of just free brand new gear from the manufacturer... it has to be used hardware.

I think taking on Tech Yes City and Hardware Unboxed in Australia would be cool too.

well no i wasnt suggesting using influence. thats gonna be boring if they end up with decent hardware. i really want a throwback episode with some really old tech and them struggling to make it run the best it can with the  most ghetto-ish rigs possible

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3