Did I choose a Wrong PSU Wattage?

Stormseeker9

Hi all,

I built my first rig start of December and I just did a check via the cooler master tool and its spitting out a whole different wattage then Pcpartpicker spitted out to me a month ago. (ws around 400watts if I remember correctly)

I currently have a RM550x, but seeing what cooler masters tool is recommending, it seems There is 0 headroom what so ever. Should I upgrade, or is it ok to leave as is? (has run fine so far no random reboots or crashes) Also note that I choose a coolermaster model for AIO as they dont show the X52.

2700x @ 4.1 1.3325v

b450 gaming pro carbon

rtx2070 armour +186Mhz/+500mhz

16 GB ddr4 3200mhz LPX

970 evo / 860 evo

3 case fans

NZXT kraken X52

Rm550x

Thanks for any help in advance

Please see enclosed screenshots.

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 1.20.34 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 1.20.26 pm.png

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

You have around 100-200W of headroom, depending on load. It's not very common for CPU and GPU to operate at 100% load at the same time

It is common knowledge that PSU calculators suck sacks of donkey balls and should never ever be used

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

6 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

You have around 100-200W of headroom, depending on load. It's not very common for CPU and GPU to operate at 100% load at the same time

It is common knowledge that PSU calculators suck sacks of donkey balls and should never ever be used

Well my apologies for not knowing this. Just wanted to double check here on the forum what you guys think (ea Do i have enough headroom/not enough etc)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

11 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Well my apologies for not knowing this. Just wanted to double check here on the forum what you guys think (ea Do i have enough headroom/not enough etc)

No need to apologize. 

The sole reason why those PSU calculators exist is to sell people higher wattage, more expensive PSUs

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Please see enclosed screenshots.

Urgh, that's cancer.

Those things overestimate by 50-100%...

So get get yourself a device that measures the input power of the PSU...

And do not trust a business that makes money with the affiliate links that has a reason to overestimate the power consumption...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Depends on the calculator. The PCPartpicker calculator give a realistic estimate of roughly 340W. To me that's reasonable.

@Stormseeker9

A 500W psu is actually a good match. OCing the 2700X does increase wattage drastically but only under very specific loads. Shouldn't be more than another 50W. The 2070 isn't that power hungry either and the OC is mild. Maybe another 30-40W. In basically all use cases you will only max out one of your components. During gaming that Ryzen 7 won't be that busy. You want the 2070 to max out for most FPS and best quality. The CPU will probably not go beyond 30-40% thanks to the plain number of cores that aren't needed and most likely not even utilized during gaming. That means your gaming load is probably below 300W. Your psu is fine.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

@bowrilla thanks for your answer. I currently have the RM550x so good to know I’m good. 

Also so good to know not to trust those calculators  now haha