One of my four memory channels isn’t functioning

Hey guys,

So, I just bought 32 GB of G.Skill RGB Royal at 3200MHz to replace my 16 GB of Corsair RAM. My problem is that my entire D channel (DIMM slots D1 and D2) on my Asus Rampage VI isn’t working. Now, when I check Bios, only 24 of the 32 GB of memory shows up as useable memory under the hardware monitor’s memory section, but if I go to Tools>Asus SPD information, all of the ram modules do appear there. Also, while windows doesn’t show lol of the modules in task manager (it also says I only have 24 GB), CPU Z says I have 32GB in quad channel. 

I have tested all of my RAM modules as well as the other channels on my motherboard and have absolutely narrowed it down to the D channel DIMMs not working. Since I will be doing a second water cooling loop in my system sometime within the next week, I will make sure that my CPU is perfectly seated and that I do not have bent pins in my socket at that time. I would take a look now, but it’s almost impossible to correctly seat the CPU since the build is extremely heavy (Tower 900 with one custom loop) and unsafe to turn on its back. 

My question to to you guys is: are there any other possible causes, i.e. something other than my CPU being improperly seated and/or bent socket pins? 

You running the latest UEFI?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, zubiecup99 said:

Hey guys,

So, I just bought 32 GB of G.Skill RGB Royal at 3200MHz to replace my 16 GB of Corsair RAM. My problem is that my entire D channel (DIMM slots D1 and D2) on my Asus Rampage VI isn’t working. Now, when I check Bios, only 24 of the 32 GB of memory shows up as useable memory under the hardware monitor’s memory section, but if I go to Tools>Asus SPD information, all of the ram modules do appear there. Also, while windows doesn’t show lol of the modules in task manager (it also says I only have 24 GB), CPU Z says I have 32GB in quad channel. 

I have tested all of my RAM modules as well as the other channels on my motherboard and have absolutely narrowed it down to the D channel DIMMs not working. Since I will be doing a second water cooling loop in my system sometime within the next week, I will make sure that my CPU is perfectly seated and that I do not have bent pins in my socket at that time. I would take a look now, but it’s almost impossible to correctly seat the CPU since the build is extremely heavy (Tower 900 with one custom loop) and unsafe to turn on its back. 

My question to to you guys is: are there any other possible causes, i.e. something other than my CPU being improperly seated and/or bent socket pins? 

I'm sure you tried switching the ram dimms up so try these steps;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/131632/hardware-upgrade-why-windows-cant-see-all-your-ram/amp/

I suggest you try using memtest86 first

Also what widows version are you using?

Hope it helps

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

How many of how many possible slots does Task Manager tell you are populated?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

58 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You running the latest UEFI?

Yes, I am running on the one that was released on 11/29.

59 minutes ago, robinhood22 said:

I'm sure you tried switching the ram dimms up so try these steps;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/131632/hardware-upgrade-why-windows-cant-see-all-your-ram/amp/

I suggest you try using memtest86 first

Also what widows version are you using?

Hope it helps

Yeah, I’ve changed up the ram dimms. I can actually get my system to register all 32 GB if I move the module from D1 to another channel. D1 and D2 are the problem channel right now. 

Im using Windows 10 Pro.

35 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

How many of how many possible slots does Task Manager tell you are populated?

Task Manager says 3/8 slots are being used.

Still, CPU Z disagrees as does my SPU info in Bios as they both show 32GB. However, like I said, the hardware monitor section in Bios says I only have 24GB.

Honestly the sensible thing is to pull the CPU and examine the slot.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Honestly the sensible thing is to pull the CPU and examine the slot.

Yeah, I’m going to have to. I wish I didn’t need to wait. Hopefully, those EK parts will arrive tomorrow, and then I’ll be able to empty out my current loop and take everything apart. I’ll let you know how that goes if I don’t find a solution before that point.