I just want to stream a game to my boyfriend...

All I want to do is stream a game and it's audio to my boyfriend... I've been trying to make this work for years...

I don't want to use twitch because I don't want the delay and I'd rather be private anyway. Years ago I tried to stream to him over Skype which I never got to work in any practical way which I guess doesn't surprise me. We're using Discord now. It's supposed to be able to do this all on it's own with a click of the button but it refuses to send the sound no matter what I do. It comes up with a volume slider when I start the stream but doesn't do anything. His audio comes through fine when he does it... I'm tired of this and I just want something, ANYTHING that works.

Is there a way to fix Discord or another program I can use to stream directly to him?

I'm using Windows 10

3 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

All I want to do is stream a game and it's audio to my boyfriend... I've been trying to make this work for years...

I don't want to use twitch because I don't want the delay and I'd rather be private anyway. Years ago I tried to stream to him over Skype which I never got to work in any practical way which I guess doesn't surprise me. We're using Discord now. It's supposed to be able to do this all on it's own with a click of the button but it refuses to send the sound no matter what I do. It comes up with a volume slider when I start the stream but doesn't do anything. His audio comes through fine when he does it... I'm tired of this and I just want something, ANYTHING that works.

Is there a way to fix Discord or another program I can use to stream directly to him?

I'm using Windows 10

What about something like ZoomMeeting, or one of those Citrix online meeting programs, they join a private room where you are the host and they can see your screen?

About as private and real-time as you can get

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

I'm using Windows 10

Just get a 3.5mm slitter and feed the audio back into the Mic jack? That is, if you are not talking to each other. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Just get a 3.5mm slitter and feed the audio back into the Mic jack? That is, if you are not talking to each other. 

We are talking to each other, that's the problem. plus my headset is USB

Just now, DCWalt said:

We are talking to each other, that's the problem. plus my headset is USB

You could buy a small 3 channel audio mixer... but then still the USB problem... 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

When you share screens on Discord, you're supposed to share the window you want to share, not your monitor. I never used screen sharing on Discord much but my friends have, and this usually works.

Also, I've noticed that Discord automatically lowers the volume of the shared window whenever your main mic is on. Maybe you have your mic threshold at a very high sensitivity, meaning that Discord might be picking up small vibrations from your table and automatically lowering your game audio. Look into Discord's settings for "input sensitivity."

I myself use a virtual audio mixer, Voicemeeter, so I can easily route any audio channel (physical or virtual) to any kind of audio device, including Windows, but that's a hassle to set up and it's quite complicated.

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

You could buy a small 3 channel audio mixer... but then still the USB problem... 

I've tried that before. it's an unwieldy nightmare that never worked

Just now, Buyingbf_ said:

When you share screens on Discord, you're supposed to share the window you want to share, not your monitor. I never used screen sharing on Discord much but my friends have, and this usually works.

Also, I've noticed that Discord automatically lowers the volume of the shared window whenever your main mic is on. Maybe you have your mic threshold at a very high sensitivity, meaning that Discord might be picking up small vibrations from your table and automatically lowering your game audio. Look into Discord's settings for "input sensitivity."

I myself use a virtual audio mixer, Voicemeeter, so I can easily route any audio channel (physical or virtual) to any kind of audio device, including Windows, but that's a hassle to set up and it's quite complicated.

I do share the window not the screen. i've tried several different virtual audio mixers and all of them are a mess. i constantly have to switch windows audio setting around depending on if i'm trying to stream or not and that's IF they work at all or don't cause other problems. one of the reasons we switched to discord in the first place was so I wouldn't have to deal with all that crap because it's just supposed to work inside Discord...

9 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

I do share the window not the screen. i've tried several different virtual audio mixers and all of them are a mess. i constantly have to switch windows audio setting around depending on if i'm trying to stream or not and that's IF they work at all or don't cause other problems. one of the reasons we switched to discord in the first place was so I wouldn't have to deal with all that crap because it's just supposed to work inside Discord...

The virtual audio mixer I use, Voicemeeter Banana, is a blessing to humanity. It's totally free. I might've given the wrong impression by saying "it's a hassle," but the only things you need to do to setup is to install it, restart computer, change Windows audio devices to Voicemeeter's input and output ports, and then you could handle it all through the virtual mixer.

To describe how easy I can route my computer's audio through my mic in ANY kind of call:

Windows is using B1 as my main microphone.

I have a physical microphone on Hardware Input 1 that is routed to B1 with a simple button toggle switch.

I can also route my Windows audio on Virtual Input 1 to connect to B1, with another simple button toggle switch.

Now I have my microphone and Windows on B1, and all my friends can hear my voice and my PC audio.

I may be annoying you to use another virtual audio mixer, seeing your past frustrations with others, but Voicemeeter is seriously a easy to use piece of software. The base version of Voicemeeter (non-Banana) is even more simple.

EDIT: Link to Voicemeeter if you're interested.

5 minutes ago, Buyingbf_ said:

The virtual audio mixer I use, Voicemeeter Banana, is a blessing to humanity. It's totally free. I might've given the wrong impression by saying "it's a hassle," but the only things you need to do to setup is to install it, restart computer, change Windows audio devices to Voicemeeter's input and output ports, and then you could handle it all through the virtual mixer.

To describe how easy I can route my computer's audio through my mic in ANY kind of call:

Windows is using B1 as my main microphone.

I have a physical microphone on Hardware Input 1 that is routed to B1 with a simple button toggle switch.

I can also route my Windows audio on Virtual Input 1 to connect to B1, with another simple button toggle switch.

Now I have my microphone and Windows on B1, and all my friends can hear my voice and my PC audio.

I may be annoying you to use another virtual audio mixer, seeing your past frustrations with others, but Voicemeeter is seriously a easy to use piece of software. The base version of Voicemeeter (non-Banana) is even more simple.

EDIT: Link to Voicemeeter if you're interested.

Banana is the one i downloaded today. all i hear in all the tutorials i look up is how easy it is to use but i can't get it to do crap 

8 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

Banana is the one i downloaded today. all i hear in all the tutorials i look up is how easy it is to use but i can't get it to do crap 

In your Windows settings, do you have your Input device as VoiceMeeter Output (B1)/ AUX Output(B2)?

Are Discord's audio settings also matched with your Window's audio settings?

In the picture, my Windows audio is the leftmost slider.

My main output is going through B1, the slider on the far right in the picture.

Windows is set to go through A1 (my headphones) and through B1 (my mic).

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Edited by Buyingbf_

10 minutes ago, Buyingbf_ said:

In your Windows settings, do you have your Input device as VoiceMeeter Output (B1)/ AUX Output(B2)?

Are Discord's audio settings also matched with your Window's audio settings?

In the picture, my Windows audio is the leftmost slider.

My main output is going through B1, the slider on the far right in the picture.

Windows is set to go through A1 (my headphones) and through B1 (my mic).

Capture.PNG

I'll try it again. if it works, fine but my frustration is:

(1) i don't always use my headset. when i'm not on call i use my audio system and i don't like having to go into windows audio options to switch things around constantly.

(2) when i'm not streaming to him i'll ALSO have to go into the audio settings to bypass the mixer because i obviously don't want to send him all of the audio from my computer all the time.

(3) What drives me most insane is I SHOULDN'T have to use something like this in the first place if discord did what it claims to do. I'm not asking for anything crazy here. this shouldn't be so convoluted. it's not like we don't have the technology to stream a freaking game and audio. there's no reason it has to be this ridicules.

15 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

I'll try it again. if it works, fine but my frustration is:

(1) i don't always use my headset. when i'm not on call i use my audio system and i don't like having to go into windows audio options to switch things around constantly.

(2) when i'm not streaming to him i'll ALSO have to go into the audio settings to bypass the mixer because i obviously don't want to send him all of the audio from my computer all the time.

(3) What drives me most insane is I SHOULDN'T have to use something like this in the first place if discord did what it claims to do. I'm not asking for anything crazy here. this shouldn't be so convoluted. it's not like we don't have the technology to stream a freaking game and audio. there's no reason it has to be this ridicules.

1) You don't have to go into Windows options to manage your setup. You do it through Voicemeeter. If you're using your audio system with your computer, set that as A1, since A1 is your primary audio device. Set your headset on A2 so that there are less problems when disconnecting/reconnecting. You can leave all the toggle switches on.

2) This should be rather easy. When you go into Voicemeeter just turn off the switch that routes your Windows audio to your main mic. Voicemeeter is an extremely light program so if you pin it to your taskbar or something, it can pop up in like half a second.

3) I feel you, mate. I was just like you before I decided to settle on Voicemeeter. Windows and Discord are supposed to be user-friendly, but they can barely provide a proper way of routing computer audio.

11 minutes ago, Buyingbf_ said:

1) You don't have to go into Windows options to manage your setup. You do it through Voicemeeter. If you're using your audio system with your computer, set that as A1, since A1 is your primary audio device. Set your headset on A2 so that there are less problems when disconnecting/reconnecting. You can leave all the toggle switches on.

2) This should be rather easy. When you go into Voicemeeter just turn off the switch the routes your Windows audio to your main mic. Voicemeeter is an extremely light program so if you pin it to your taskbar or something, it can pop up in like half a second.

3) I feel you, mate. I was just like you before I decided to settle on Voicemeeter. Windows and Discord are supposed to be user-friendly, but they can barely provide a proper way of routing computer audio.

i'll try voicemeeter again but discord DOES have a proper way to do it, it just refuses to work like most things on my computer. I used to love computers... now i wish i could live my life without them. everyday there's something new that breaks and i have to spend a week of my life troubleshooting. this is only one of at least five problems i'm trying to fix right now and that's after my whole system completely imploded over Christmas including two hard drives that stopped working for no reason. One of which has years of work on it... sorry, just needed to vent

2 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

i'll try voicemeeter again but discord DOES have a proper way to do it, it just refuses to work like most things on my computer. I used to love computers... now i wish i could live my life without them. everyday there's something new that breaks and i have to spend a week of my life troubleshooting. this is only one of at least five problems i'm trying to fix right now and that's after my whole system completely imploded over Christmas including two hard drives that stopped working for no reason... sorry, just needed to vent

Venting's fine. We all have to do in at some point. I can continue trying to help you with Voicemeeter if it doesn't work.