Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

are all sata cables the same?

nelska

upgrading my harddrive from hhd to ssd im worried if the connector itself is fast enough? is there anyway to know.. the ports a sata 3 port but i duno if the connector is a sata 3 connector cable. i duno if there's a difference in the cords themselves. thanks.

They are all the same. Just buy a SATA 3 cable if that's what your hardware uses.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

upgrading my harddrive from hhd to ssd im worried if the connector itself is fast enough? is there anyway to know.. the ports a sata 3 port but i duno if the connector is a sata 3 connector cable. i duno if there's a difference in the cords themselves. thanks.

Doesn't matter, sata 3 and 6 cables pump out the same performance.

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

They're usually the same, you'd probably be able to find out quick if you plug it in and try to use it. They're often labelled what revision they are, and presumably you're looking for SATA III 6Gb/sec. It'll have either of those labels on it. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, robinhood22 said:

Doesn't matter, sata 3 and 6 cables pump out the same performance.

I had a hard drive crippled by a SATA ii interface, always get the highest SATA revision possible

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

ok so your saying the cord isnt gunna matter because online they are saying sata 2 vs sata 3 but they arent differentiating between just the port or the cable and the port needs to be 3.

Just now, fasauceome said:

I had a hard drive crippled by a SATA ii interface, always get the highest SATA revision possible

i have the sata 3 interface but i wasnt sure if the cable was interchangeable between without consequence

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

i have the sata 3 interface but i wasnt sure if the cable was interchangeable between without consequence

If the cable is SATA III and the port is SATA III, you're good as you can be

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

ok so your saying the cord isnt gunna matter because online they are saying sata 2 vs sata 3 but they arent differentiating between just the port or the cable and the port needs to be 3.

You can use a SATA 1 cable for a SATA 3 drive but, instead of 6Gb/s you'd be getting maximum of 1.5Gb/s with the SATA 1 cable.

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah you're right but testing showed faster speeds than rated between 3 and 6...I quote:

"Our results confirm that despite the faster hardware available today, there is still no performance difference between SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/scables. The SATA 3Gb/s revision only supports transfer speeds around 300MB/s, yet we saw transfer speeds up to 500 MB/s with each cable that we tested."

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance-Revisited-183/

My PC is a fast boyo:

6700K - 32GB - 1080 - 256GB EVO

^^You don't need more info than this right?^^

I have cables from before 2011 and they run my SATA 3 SSD at SATA 3 speeds. In other words I get what was advertised on the SSD box despite using cables I bought over 7 years ago.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

a cabel is a cabel right i think, it is just some copper leading from one end too the other end, but i dont know if they have added more thicknes on the wires for bether bandwith or sheild for lower noise on the higher catogery marked sata cables

inn my girlfriends system i am using some old sata cabels from 2006 ish for her ssd, and inn benchmark it run fine so i dont think it is a diffrent

3 minutes ago, NIneEyeRon said:

I have cables from before 2011 and they run my SATA 3 SSD at SATA 3 speeds. In other words I get what was advertised on the SSD box despite using cables I bought over 7 years ago.

then i shouldnt worry about getting new cables then. thanks! I wonder if theres any software to test?

then i shouldnt worry about getting new cables then. thanks! I wonder if theres any software to test?

i have used AS SSD Benchmark

7 minutes ago, nelska said:

I wonder if theres any software to test?

You can use CrystalDiskMark for a quick speed test. Just download the Standard version unless you want to get the Anime one which is called Shizuku.

Spoiler

firefox_UhotiI7Pjl.png.f0cff263c18a01ac3dd6b2676a2f4c6a.png

22 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

You can use a SATA 1 cable for a SATA 3 drive but, instead of 6Gb/s you'd be getting maximum of 1.5Gb/s with the SATA 1 cable.

The pinouts between so-called SATA I, II, and III cables are all the same. While the cable might technically only be verified for SATA I, it may also work at SATA III speeds totally fine. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

19 minutes ago, now254 said:

a cabel is a cabel right i think, it is just some copper leading from one end too the other end, but i dont know if they have added more thicknes on the wires for bether bandwith or sheild for lower noise on the higher catogery marked sata cables

inn my girlfriends system i am using some old sata cabels from 2006 ish for her ssd, and inn benchmark it run fine so i dont think it is a diffrent

The main thing is if they were manufactured to a specification that hasn't changed over the generations, there shouldn't be a difference. But from a marketing standpoint, there's no way to prove that the cables work with the higher revision unless the manufacturer went out of their way to grab old cables they have left over, and tested them. But I doubt they would do that, since that might also discourage additional sales of SATA cables.

Unless of course, they sold those cables with new packaging after verifying they work at the higher speeds. So while there might not be a technical difference between them, they weren't verified to work at the higher speeds.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

same

10 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

You can use CrystalDiskMark for a quick speed test. Just download the Standard version unless you want to get the Anime one which is called Shizuku.

Reveal hidden contents

firefox_UhotiI7Pjl.png.f0cff263c18a01ac3dd6b2676a2f4c6a.png

just did the hhd is running about 150 read and write and the ssd is running about 550 read and 450 write. does this sound correctish? thanks. and what about optical drives?.. does anyone know how fast they read? im sure write isnt important here.

33 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

An interface is not a cable. The technical differences between SATA interfaces is on the receiving ends, not necessarily the interfaces or cables themselves.

1 minute ago, nelska said:

just did the hhd is running about 150 read and write and the ssd is running about 550 read and 450 write. does this sound correctish? thanks. and what about optical drives?.. does anyone know how fast they read? im sure write isnt important here.

You're good. Optical drives are much slower than even mechanical hard drives. Even Blu-ray drives could get away with a SATA I interface.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You're good. Optical drives are much slower than even mechanical hard drives. Even Blu-ray drives could get away with a SATA I interface.

alright then! nothing to worry about. ty!

• 2 years later...
On 1/3/2019 at 6:23 AM, nelska said:

yes all the sata cables are same. I suggest you to buy Sata -iii. Its speed is 6 gbps.  It will work perfectly.  

https://www.fineask.xyz/are-all-sata-cables-the-same/

Here you will get a perfect answer.

8 hours ago, Fineask said:

yes all the sata cables are same. I suggest you to buy Sata -iii. Its speed is 6 gbps.  It will work perfectly.  

https://www.fineask.xyz/are-all-sata-cables-the-same/

Here you will get a perfect answer.

I ended up buying a m.2 ssd. which has optane genie if necessary. which i will do in a future build my current cpu doesnt support it.