TAZ 5 Dual Extruder V3 Questions

DaveKerk

Hey everyone,

I recently received my Lulzbot TAZ Dual Extruder V3 (DE for the rest of the post) upgrade for my TAZ 5 and had a few questions:

I want to print Carbon Fiber filament with my TAZ 5 and bought two hardened steel nozzles to replace the default ones.

Is it possible to replace the nozzles on the DE?
If so, how would I ensure that both nozzles are level with each other?
I do already have both hardened steel nozzles so would it be worth it to replace both nozzles? With the second extruder being only for support and less abrasive materials I don't know if the hardened steel would be worth it to replace the default nozzle. Or should I save it to replace the primary extruder when the first one wears down? Do note, I already have both nozzles.

Thanks for any help,
David K.

I think your question is better suited for Lulzbot's forum (assuming they have one) or the product page for the DE v3, but I'm assuming you should be able to swap the nozzles just fine. 

As far as I know there is no disadvantage for running a hardened nozzle other than cost over a standard one, so I would replace both of the nozzles if it was my machine.

ASU

15 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I think your question is better suited for Lulzbot's forum (assuming they have one) or the product page for the DE v3, but I'm assuming you should be able to swap the nozzles just fine. 

As far as I know there is no disadvantage for running a hardened nozzle other than cost over a standard one, so I would replace both of the nozzles if it was my machine.

Thank you for the input. I did indeed also post this question over there at the same time I did here. Just waiting for a reply on that thread over there.

Brass nozzles will wear out quickly if you print with (very) abrasive materials. I've not printed with carbon fiber myself, but I'd guess it's somewhere in between? Not as abrasive as e.g metal, but more than woodfill I'd say, so it'd definitely be worth it to switch to a hardened nozzle if you see yourself printing with abrasive stuff regularly. Whether or not you do both is up to you. If you'll never be printing abrasive filaments form the second extruder, then no, it's not necessary to replace it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB