What is a workstation exactly?

Simply_AR

I was trying to look around to see what a workstation is but I am still lost on what it is and what it is mainly used for. As it is practically guaranteed at this point that I am going to major in Marketing whenever I go study at whatever college I choose, I was wondering if I would ever need a workstation. Of course this is dependent on what it is primarily used for but it never hurts to ask and know what it is.

(I've had this profile picture since Middle School haha. One of these days I gotta do a cleanup on all my accounts Ive had since middle school)

A workstation is a name you can give to a system meant for a specific 'work' scenario. Usually people use this term when referring to a PC meant for video/photo editing, 3D modeling, etc. A quite specific work scenario.

Of course it's just kind of a nickname for a PC, because a general PC could be your workstation too..

So asking if you need a workstation is really an open question. Do you need a PC for what you are doing? Or would it at least speed up your work? If so, get a PC meant for your purpose (e.g. pick parts that work best for the program(s) you'll be using.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

when people today refer to "Workstations" they tend to generally refer to a computer that is somewhere between a desktop, and a server. They will often have server like robust components such as Xeons, ECC RAM (but not required too), and tend to be aimed at doing heavier processing, like you'd want from a server, but on a more local desktop solution.

however really anything you sit and work at that is designed for specific work task is a workstation. 

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

It's pretty much just marketing. So the work stations either will/won't come with discrete GPU dependent on what the buyer wants.

There is really no difference between a workstation or gaming machine, except some internals are configured differently in some cases.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

You don’t need a workstation for your studies. Most people don’t require a workstation.

A workstation pc is for people that do very demanding work on their pc, like animation, rendering, etc, stuff that needs REAL power to do.

I am faster than 80% of all snakes

cpu: AMD Fx-8350

motherboard: GIGABYTE 970 (am3+)

RAM: 16gb ddr3 adata

gpu: AMD xfx rx 560 2gb

psu: 500w

storage: 1tb hdd

I am what you call “budget gamer”

A "Workstation PC" is just a PC more oriented towards profesional tasks usually involving powerful hardware to complete it.

You can get quite far today without investing in more expencive HEDT hardware. 

"xeon", "threadripper", and "quadro" are all chips that intel, AMD, and Nvidia produce designed for workstations.

Just now, poochyena said:

"xeon", "threadripper", and "quadro" are all chips that intel, AMD, and Nvidia produce designed for workstations.

Don't forget the associated pricetags to match...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Correct me if I am wrong, however I think this term was more relevant when there was a larger difference between gaming and editing systems