NVIDIA slapped with class action lawsuit over crypto crash.

wONKEyeYEs

I find it hard to work up any sympathy for the wealthy (>$100,000) investors represented in this lawsuit.

Big business and big money are usually lacking in, moral stature, yeah that's the ticket.

I just hope that NVIDIA doesn't get mortally wounded as a result.

A monopoly doesn't serve the consumer.

Schall Law Firm is handling the case against NVIDIA, and wants investors who spent over $100,000 to join its class action lawsuit.

The firm said: "According to the Complaint, the Company made false and misleading statements to the market.

NVIDIA touted its ability to monitor the cryptocurrency market and make rapid changes to its business as necessary.

The Company claimed to be "masters at managing our channel, and we understand the channel very well."

NVIDIA also claimed to the market that any drop off in demand for its GPUs amongst cryptocurrency miners

would not negatively impact the Company's business because of strong demand for GPUs from the gaming market.

Based on these facts, the Company's public statements were false and materially misleading throughout the class period.

When the market learned the truth about NVIDIA, investors suffered damages".

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64292/nvidia-slapped-class-action-lawsuit-over-crypto-crash/index.html

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

"Warning: Trading products such as crypto currency involves substantial risk of loss and may not be suitable for all investors. Trading such products is risky and you may lose all of your invested capital."

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Unless they signed some contract stating they the stocks won't drop, I don't see what backing they have.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

My 10 nvda shares currently sitting at -22%. Can I get a payout too?

I totally get the lawsuit though. Nvidia bet BIG on crypto and ensured everyone that it is sticking around and will help the company. AMD actually understood that the cryto surge was just a bubble and told investors not to look to much into gpu sales due to crypto.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

People are blaming Nvidia for the crypto crash?

No, they are blaming them for promising it won't crash. He lead investors to think the sales from crypto were stable.

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wait what, People are blaming Nvidia for the crypto crash? No one really expected the crypto market to completely crash as it was way too unpredictable, if you invested over $100K into such an unstable market that isn't the companies fault.

Speak for yourself. I saw it as a forgone conclusion. A bit like.... well.... ever other hair-brained trading fad.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

I'll be watching this case closely. Im a law student, may bring it up to my prof and see what he has to say.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

It's the same thing as with what happened to Elon Musk after he made public statements that Tesla has secured funding to buy-back Tesla shares and take the company private. A company is responsible to make accurate and good-faith representations of their business performance and expectations to their investors.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:13 AM, Delicieuxz said:

Well, a tweet that misled investors putting large amounts of private money at risk and which violated US securities law that's there to protect investors.

Musk is still in control of Tesla, and maybe the time away from extra responsibilities will actually be good for him and the company.

If Nvidia made over-promising statements to their investors to get them to invest more money into the business, then Nvidia could face consequences for it.

Investing being a gambling business is one thing. But a company or person mis-representing their position and knowledge about the market to get more money out of people who end up being screwed over by that mis-representation is another thing. The market can't be predicted and Nvidia isn't responsible to make the market perform a particular way. But, a company is in control of how they represent their business to their investors, and a company mis-representing their known future prospects is not a natural part of the risk of investing and is fraud.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

All NVIDIA said was they were able to move quick enough to be able to avoid damages from changes in crypto mining.  So far it appears that is true.  This is just another law firm trying to cash in on gullible/amateur investors who bought stocks just before a big dip in the market.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So the entire market is going down, not Nvidia stock or due to the crypto market. Yea I think they are going to lose this one. Wasting more of their money.

Edit:

To most of the above comments, this is about Nvidia stock price and investing in the company not crypto currency or trading of it.

I'm all in favor of Nvidia being brought down a few pegs, but this is just dumb. Anyone could have looked at the stocks and seen that it was way too high to stay there. We all knew crypto was going to crash eventually.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Edit:

To most of the above comments, this is about Nvidia stock price and investing in the company not crypto currency or trading of it.

Exactly.

This isn't about people who invested in crypto, it's about people who invested in NVIDIA stock which went down due to high inventory.

Basically they are blaming NVIDIA for making too many GPU's.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

3 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

volatile investment

That's an understatement...

3 hours ago, Imbellis said:

Unless they signed some contract stating they the stocks won't drop, I don't see what backing they have.

Their backing is that they are betting that Nvidia doesn't want to spend the next decade in court fighting a group of many people who apparently have enough money to lose $100,000+ investments and then hire expensive lawyers to complain about it to.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

22 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

NVIDIA stock which went down due to high inventory.

It wasn't high inventory that caused the stock price to fall, it was the entire market falling.  If nvidia has an issue at the moment that we can speculate about,  it's that they are slightly more exposed to market than AMD (due to size and having there latest product only just on the market while zen is already established).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

It wasn't high inventory that caused the stock price to fall, it was the entire market falling.  If nvidia has an issue at the moment that we can speculate about,  it's that they are slightly more exposed to market than AMD (due to size and having there latest product only just on the market while zen is already established).

Fair enough, I wasn't really paying attention recently, the last thing I remember are those articles reporting that they had too high inventory (the ones where CEO explained why this is happening) and that the stock price dropped.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

any losses nvidia loss will be transferred to its customers......though raising its prices....

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

All NVIDIA said was they were able to move quick enough to be able to avoid damages from changes in crypto mining.  So far it appears that is true.  This is just another law firm trying to cash in on gullible/amateur investors who bought stocks just before a big dip in the market.

The lawsuit alleges that Nvidia claimed that GPU demand from the gaming market was strong enough that any changes in crypto-currency mining habits wouldn't negatively impact overall GPU demand.

https://schallfirm.com/cases/nvidia-corporation/

NVIDIA also claimed to the market that any drop off in demand for its GPUs amongst cryptocurrency miners would not negatively impact the Company’s business because of strong demand for GPUs from the gaming market. Based on these facts, the Company’s public statements were false and materially misleading throughout the class period. When the market learned the truth about NVIDIA, investors suffered damages.

Of course, that's total BS and the only reason why GPUs weren't staying on store shelves and why people were rushing out to buy five $1,300 GPUs at once was to make each of them earn back multiples of their shelf-price through crypto-currency mining.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

9 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Fair enough, I wasn't really paying attention recently, the last thing I remember are those articles reporting that they had too high inventory (the ones where CEO explained why this is happening) and that the stock price dropped.

I think the issue with a lot of these situations is that there are too many web magazines and youtube/social media celebrities that are fighting for clicks and views, the end result is we have more generalization, more sensationalism and less education in the more complex parts of tech.  It's fine for Ian cutress, Jay or Linus et al to talk about the technical side of a product, but once they start talking about markets, stock prices and channel stock etc, all it does is confuse people and then we start to draw conclusion on either irrelevant data or moot coincidences.   

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

The lawsuit alleges that Nvidia claimed the bulk of the demand for GPUs was from the gaming market, not the crypto-currency market, and that therefore a change in crypto-currency mining habits wouldn't impact GPU demand.

https://schallfirm.com/cases/nvidia-corporation/

They can allege what ever they want.   Nvidia stock price fell inline with the market, Any difference in severity can more easily be linked to new product reception, being a larger company and not having any CPU market share to buffer the fall.   So unless they have some proof that Nvidia inventory is sufficient to cause any of these issues it's just a bunch of dead beat investors being sucked in by a law firm needing cash. 

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

They can allege what ever they want.   Nvidia stock price fell inline with the market, Any difference in severity can more easily be linked to new product reception, being a larger company and not having any CPU market share to buffer the fall.   So unless they have some proof that Nvidia inventory is sufficient to cause any of these issues it's just a bunch of dead beat investors being sucked in by a law firm needing cash. 

Following Crypto Mining Crash, GPU Producer Nvidia Worst Performer in S&P 500

If Nvidia was the worst performer, then they didn't fall in-line with the market. And if "the market" is being defined as just AMD and Nvidia, then the drop for both companies indicates that crypto-currency mining was indeed a big factor in the high share price, which would give evidence that any claim made by Nvidia that the gaming market was the primary source of GPU demand is false.

52 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Their backing is that they are betting that Nvidia doesn't want to spend the next decade in court fighting a group of many people who apparently have enough money to lose $100,000+ investments and then hire expensive lawyers to complain about it to.

They probably do not have to pay for the lawyers up front.  Since they get a percentage of the settlement a lot of liability lawyers do not charge unless they win.