Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, i want to build this PC... and i need help

Hey, everyone!

It's been (i think) a decade since i last build a PC by myself, and now, i want to do it again, but i'm really out of touch with today's technology. So i thought i'd come here to ask for help from the people that know much more than me about this stuff. Based on what i can afford (2.200 USD, or 1.500.000 CLP) and what i have aviable at the moment in the local markets, i made this small list that i would like to share with you to get your imput:

• CPU: Intel® CPU Core i7-8700 3.2GHz (1151-v2).
  • Mother board: Asus® M/B Intel TUF B360M-PLUS Gaming (1151-v2)
  • RAM: Kingston® DDR4 16GB 2400MHz (2X 8GB) HyperX FURY Black.
  • SSD: WD®  SSD 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Black.
  • HDD: Seagate® hard drive 2TB Sata3 7200 rpm 64MB Barracuda
  • Power supply: Seasonic® Fuente Poder 750W Focus Plus 80Plus Gold Full Modular.
  • GPU: Asus® Video AMD VEGA64 O8GB OC ROG Strix Gaming.

Also, i have a monitor and a case that i have in mind, but, i think those are not that hard to get right. Oh, and also, i would like to play the latest games on 1080p at 144hz with max or ultra settings (I mostly play overwatch and some adventure games like tomb raider).

Is there anthing i should buy different? better? can i find something similar for better value?

I'd really appreciate if you could help me with this stuff.

Thank you.

I would get a rtx 2070 instead of a Vega 64. I would likely get a gtx 1080 over a Vega 64 as well. Vega 64 is kinda a bad card tbh. The Vega 56 wasn't bad but was never at the correct price. 

If you cared so much about your money, an intel system is not for you.

You can have similar performance using a Ryzen 2600 and will cost you a lot less.

To have 144hz full settings, vega 64 won't cut it, you need at least GTX 1070ti or 1080.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

7 minutes ago, Amenefes said:

Hey, everyone!

It's been (i think) a decade since i last build a PC by myself, and now, i want to do it again, but i'm really out of touch with today's technology. So i thought i'd come here to ask for help from the people that know much more than me about this stuff. Based on what i can afford (2.200 USD, or 1.500.000 CLP) and what i have aviable at the moment in the local markets, i made this small list that i would like to share with you to get your imput:

• Power supply: Seasonic® Fuente Poder 750W Focus Plus 80Plus Gold Full Modular.

Also, i have a monitor and a case that i have in mind, but, i think those are not that hard to get right. Oh, and also, i would like to play the latest games on 1080p at 144hz with max or ultra settings (I mostly play overwatch and some adventure games like tomb raider).

Is there anthing i should buy different? better? can i find something similar for better value?

Thank you.

Not a bad system that you have there but i noticed that you have a none K processor. This is still good but the stock cooler is pants. What I would do is pick up cheap one like the 212 evo or the cryo C7 . Both of these are good options

Looks good, however you might want to look into faster RAM (generally it isn't much more to jump up to 3000mhz) and a larger SSD. Or get a smaller SSD, and grab a significantly larger one in a few months when the prices drop.

I'd also consider waiting a few weeks. AMD is supposed to reveal their new line up at CES, and if rumors are true, it looks like it'll be very formidable.

If they release the rumored video cards, they'll blow the socks off the Vega64 at a significantly lower price point.

Welcome to the forum!

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Nvidia cards just tend to be better around that range of performance, and I would really just go to AMD for the budget cards. I forgot some things on the list, but here.

25 minutes ago, Amenefes said:

I would change this setup to a Ryzen 5 2600X or Ryzen 7 2700(X) (x-variant is a viable choice as well if you're specifically looking for a chip that will overclock a bit better than the others). That way you could save a little more money to put towards your GPU and potentially have more cores and thus greater multi-core performance if that's something you'd benefit from. Your motherboard would change to a B450 motherboard then too, potentially saving you a few more bucks.

29 minutes ago, Amenefes said:

SSD: WD®  SSD 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Black.

For about $8 more you can get a Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD that's considerably faster, so I'd recommend that over the WD black drive.

30 minutes ago, Amenefes said:

GPU: Asus® Video AMD VEGA64 O8GB OC ROG Strix Gaming.

As others have said, you could get a GTX 1080 for cheaper that may perform better in some titles. However, if AMD's FreeSync technology is something you're looking for, then I would stick with the Vega 64.

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would get a rtx 2070 instead of a Vega 64. I would likely get a gtx 1080 over a Vega 64 as well. Vega 64 is kinda a bad card tbh. The Vega 56 wasn't bad but was never at the correct price. 

I just went through this exact thing and ordered the Liquid Cooled Vega 64 from Newegg and according to the latest benchmarks it IS IF FACT better than the 1080! And it's on par with the 2070. Don't buy Invidia if you're using a Freesync monitor. The LC Vega 64 will be more than adequate for 4k 60hz/1440p 120hz gaming when combined with Freesync.

Stop spreading false information.

Pricing is also much better now. The LC Vega 64 I ordered was cheaper than any new 1080 I could find and the same price as the cheapest 2070 and the 2070 doesn't prove worthy of losing Freesync. 2080/1080 TI, yes. 1080/2070, NO!.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

4 hours ago, Amenefes said:

Hey, everyone!

Thank you.

Get the Liquid Cooled Vega 64 from Newegg, but order like TODAY to get it for $499. Totally worth it and better than the Strix/Nitro/Red Devil. Either way, you are more than fine with the Vega 64 for 1080p 144hz all day every day! Even 1440p 144hz is probably fine with Freesync. I just ordered the Liquid Cooled Vega 64 after doing much research between that, the 1080 and the 2070. I have a 4k Freesync monitor so the Vega makes the most sense. Plus a lot of the RTX cards looks like they have issues (not sure if fixed but I'm not risking it when there's no need). The upgraded Drivers for Vega should be plentiful.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. I feel like i got the information i need. Once i finish the build i will put it in here.

Peace.