Discussing BitTorrent

Hi guys, just wondering if it was ok to discuss issues regarding bittorrent?

If it is ok to talk about them, where would I open a topic? I'm having an issue at the moment that DOES NOT involve downloading illegal content.

Thanks!

My Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 5600x  |  Corsair H100i GTX  |  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming  |  32GB Samsung DDR4 3600MHz  |  ASUS RTX 3070 ROG Strix  |  WD Black 240GB NVMe  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 2TB Samsung Enterprise SSD  |  WD Black 1.5TB   |  3x NZXT Aer RGB 140MM  |  Seasonic Focus 750w   |  NZXT H500 Elite   |  Windows 10 Pro

My Home Server: AMD Ryzen 1400x  |  Gigabyte Aurora B550 Elite  |  32Gb Samsung DDR3 3200Mhz  |  HP RTX 2060 6GB  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro  |  2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB | 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB |  2x WD Green 2TB  |  Corsair CX650m  | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows Server 2022

Just now, VegetableStu said:

fire away o_o

Thanks!

My Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 5600x  |  Corsair H100i GTX  |  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming  |  32GB Samsung DDR4 3600MHz  |  ASUS RTX 3070 ROG Strix  |  WD Black 240GB NVMe  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 2TB Samsung Enterprise SSD  |  WD Black 1.5TB   |  3x NZXT Aer RGB 140MM  |  Seasonic Focus 750w   |  NZXT H500 Elite   |  Windows 10 Pro

My Home Server: AMD Ryzen 1400x  |  Gigabyte Aurora B550 Elite  |  32Gb Samsung DDR3 3200Mhz  |  HP RTX 2060 6GB  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro  |  2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB | 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB |  2x WD Green 2TB  |  Corsair CX650m  | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows Server 2022

So long as you don't discuss about any illegal content that could be in the torrents (not saying you are, but just for reference), talking about anything with torrents is completely fine.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

So I have a torrent client running in a Ubuntu server at the moment which is failing to download over a OpenVPN connection. But this isn't your typical "how to fix torrent speeds" question.

I have tested the exact same client and torrent file on a Windows 10 machine with the same uPnP settings enabled, passing through the same OpenVPN tunnel and the same ports opened on the OS firewall (using the UFW firewall on the linux server), and the download works perfectly.

Realistically, the only difference is the OS.

The symptoms are the download would climb in speed for about 5-10 seconds before falling back down to 0kb/s, even though it would be connected to plenty of seeders. So it almost seems like it's being throttled, but why is Linux affected and not Windows?

Just looking for any ideas that come to mind or anything else I could try.

FYI - The OpenVPN tunnel is established on a pfSense firewall and done via LAN traffic redirect, I have no OVPN clients running on the hosts.

3 hours ago, KingCollins said:

So I have a torrent client running in a Ubuntu server at the moment which is failing to download over a OpenVPN connection. But this isn't your typical "how to fix torrent speeds" question. 

I have tested the exact same client and torrent file on a Windows 10 machine with the same uPnP settings enabled, passing through the same OpenVPN tunnel and the same ports opened on the OS firewall (using the UFW firewall on the linux server), and the download works perfectly. 

Realistically, the only difference is the OS.

The symptoms are the download would climb in speed for about 5-10 seconds before falling back down to 0kb/s, even though it would be connected to plenty of seeders. So it almost seems like it's being throttled, but why is Linux affected and not Windows? 

Just looking for any ideas that come to mind or anything else I could try.

FYI - The OpenVPN tunnel is established on a pfSense firewall and done via LAN traffic redirect, I have no OVPN clients running on the hosts.

Do you have any other issues with throughput on the same network adapter? Possible driver issue causing the connection to drop. Might be worth trying a download through the OpenVPN tunnel using a different client or download manager.

33 minutes ago, w0rlock said:

Do you have any other issues with throughput on the same network adapter? Possible driver issue causing the connection to drop. Might be worth trying a download through the OpenVPN tunnel using a different client or download manager.

Thanks for your reply!

I can confirm that throughput is working fine through the VPN as seen from a speedtest I ran below.

root@ubuntu:/home/# curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from M247 Europe SRL (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Vispa (Manchester) [6.08 km]: 84.606 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 182.64 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 22.24 Mbit/s

Also, when I disable the VPN completely, the torrent still fails to download, so I think it's defiantly the linux bittorrent client. 

Dam . . . 

Back to the drawing board

2 minutes ago, w0rlock said:

Which client are you using?

I'm using qBittorrent. I've always loved it as it works flawlessly on Windows, but might have to rethink it now. I swore not to go back to uTorrent.

Why dont you looking into something like Deluge or rtorrent.

You can even get a front end web client for rtorrent called rutorrent.

Deluge you can install from most repos or if you are going rtorrent look into some of the install scripts. Highly recommend rtorrent.

3 minutes ago, KingCollins said:

I'm using qBittorrent. I've always loved it as it works flawlessly on Windows, but might have to rethink it now. I swore not to go back to uTorrent.

Have you tried with Transmission?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, w0rlock said:

Why dont you looking into something like Deluge or rtorrent.

You can even get a front end web client for rtorrent called rutorrent.

Deluge you can install from most repos or if you are going rtorrent look into some of the install scripts. Highly recommend rtorrent.

I used rTorrent for about 10 years until I discovered Deluge. Everything I had to custom screw around with to get working with rTorrent. Such as WebUI, automatic downloads based off RSS, and then sorting downloads based on content was nothing but a pain in rTorrent (even if i did eventually have all working)

Deluge offers basically identical feature set, but more "out of the box" for users who don't want to spend their life customizing stuff.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

1 minute ago, Sprawlie said:

I used rTorrent for about 10 years until I discovered Deluge. Everything I had to custom screw around with to get working with rTorrent. Such as WebUI, automatic downloads based off RSS, and then sorting downloads based on content was nothing but a pain in rTorrent (even if i did eventually have all working)

Deluge offers basically identical feature set, but more "out of the box" for users who don't want to spend their life customizing stuff.

I run rtorrent-ps without the front end. I must admit it isn't the most 'user' friendly.

Ive had mine setup many years now. Ive tried Deluge but found the resources usage too high when having a lot of 'seeding' torrents active.

Had a quick look into both clients and unfortunately I am unable to use rTorrent for reasons I cannot discuss on the thread.

But I did notice I had installed a custom version of qBottorrent called qbittorrent-nox which is a server side only client (WebUI only), so I'm gonna reinstall the standard version, and if that doesn't work I'll go with Deluge :) 

Just now, w0rlock said:

I run rtorrent-ps without the front end. I must admit it isn't the most 'user' friendly.

Ive had mine setup many years now. Ive tried Deluge but found the resources usage too high when having a lot of 'seeding' torrents active.

Fair enough, I don't have too many seeds going at once. I've setup Deluge to upload 2x what I download and then stop immediately. I have really crappy upstream so its not like I let a lot run outbound at the same time.

rTorrent is really REALLY great if you want a lot of scripting and customizability of what it does. But if you're looking for run of the mill with some advanced features, Deluge does cover it. However I haven't found it too bad resource wise. Memory is minuscule, and I've got plenty to spare. I just found on my latest server build (about 4 months ago) I was capable of getting Deluge to do everything I was already doing in rTorrent, but only took me a few seconds, versus the hours of scripting I had to do on the old server

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

Hey guys, looks like I somehow fixed this issue by simply uninstalling the application and dependent libraries and reinstalling them! It's still the same custom version qbittorrent-nox (nox stands for No X Support, so it's build for a headless server with a WebUI only). 

I hate when something is resolved and you don't know how it's fixed, but looks like this is the case!

Thanks for all your suggestions and replies :) 

22 minutes ago, KingCollins said:

Hey guys, looks like I somehow fixed this issue by simply uninstalling the application and dependent libraries and reinstalling them! It's still the same custom version qbittorrent-nox (nox stands for No X Support, so it's build for a headless server with a WebUI only).  

I hate when something is resolved and you don't know how it's fixed, but looks like this is the case! 

Thanks for all your suggestions and replies :) 

Glad to hear your problem is fixed, Might of been a library file was not copied successfully or that another had installed a modified library.

Just make sure everything else still works and if it does then think about it no more :)