Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC was damaged but...

madac97

I had my pc was hooked up to my daughters oculus rift vr and my dog decided to start barking like stupid and ran through the hdmi cable pulling my computer off of the shelf and falling about 5 feet to the floor and I wasn't at home at the time but my daughter was shaken up but not seriously hurt. All though she is ok the rift hdmi cable was really damaged and my computer will not turn on anymore. This sucks because my daughter bought the rift with the money she got from christmas but can the hdmi cable possibly be cut off and the end of another hdmi be reattached to it to work? If anything I would like to get the rift fixed because she is devastated about that being damaged.

As for my computer I will most likely not be able to afford to fix it but how would I test parts of the computer to see what is salvageable? I just put a gtx 1060 6gb card, 256gb nvme, msi z97 krait mb, 650 watt power supply, a newer case and installed an aio cooler on it which cost more than enough that I will not be able to replace it at all. I don't have another desktop to test any of it on unless there is a way without one. I am pretty sure the power supply is literally done for as I pulled it out and plugged it in on it's own and no lights on the back at all when the switch is turned to the on position. Could it just be the power supply that was damaged? and is it worth it to replace or borrow one to diagnose the rest of the computer?

Thank you

If the primary OS drive is the SSD, then we can rule out HDD failure.

As for the rest,  just do some basic trouble shooting.

Pull it apart , visualy inspect everything, give the PSU a gentle rattle to see if anything has broken loose inside.

if all looks good try plugging everything in and turning it on.

If it still doesnt work, i think the only thing at that point that could be broken is the PSU.

CPU , RAM, Motherboard, is unlikely to be borken from a sudden shock, unless u were runnign a large air cooler heatsink, which u r not.

The GPU 'could' be damaged, but u can visualy inspect that.

the only other thing i can think of besides a HDD failure (u didnt mention having a HDD), or PSU failure, is if the AIO leaked onto the system whilst it was on.

I think its likely to be either the PSU, or simply somthing coming loose and re-seating all connections may be the simple fix.

As for the Rift cable, i have no idea how its connected inside, it could be a detachable connection insid the rift, in which case it would be a simple matter of replacing it but would require some disassembly...otherwise i would contact Oculus and see what they say, im sure its a common issue.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Start with the power supply. Buy one from a store with a good return policy. 

Oh and for the PSU , u can bridge the green and a black wire (check online for a full guide), and plug in a molex fan to see if it works, without having to have the motherboard or any components connected.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So I pulled the psu out and there is no parts rattling around or anything and then I proceeded to use the bypass plugin to turn it on, the psu fan started working so I  plugged a fan header into one of the molex connectors and they all turned on and ran just fine. So the psu is functional. I am pretty sure the damage is motherboard related because when I plugged the psu back into it there was nothing happening again. The weird thing though is that when I had the motherboard plugged in and also connected the molex and the fans back up the fan header didn't turn on either and no fan spin from the psu or the case fans with the mb and cpu plugs in. 

I don't know, psu works, plugged into the motherboard nothing works. Took gpu out, took hdd out, even unmounted the nvme ssd, unplugged everything from the board and jumped it with a screwdriver and still nothing. I am totally f'ed. There has to be something wrong with the mb and or the cpu, which I have not unmounted just yet but the mb is f'ed up I'm pretty sure of that and now to find another computer to test the hdd and the gpu and see if they were damaged as well, hopefully not (fingers crossed that something besides the fan hub and fans aren't damaged)

@madac97

Its possible the massive jolt somehow unseated the CPU.

try reseating it, along with everythign else.

From a fall the most likely thing to be damaged is the GPU / PCI-e slots.
I would check them both first.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Are the LED's on your mobo still lighting up when the 24pin connector is installed and PSU switched on? (not booting, just the passive LED's that show standby power)

The best way is to literally pull everything out of the case and off the board.  No RAM, CPU, nothing.

Attach the 24pin connector to the board, turn on the PSU for standby power.  If the LED's light up, then your board is probably fine.  If they don't, the board is probably dead.

Yeah I tried everything suggested and mb bare plugged in and no light, nothing. Even the psu plugged in doesn't spin up at all. Mb dead as a door nail, bent pci express and all. 

And man the z97 lga1150 boards are few and far between and when I do find one they want more than I can afford for it.

Seeing as I have no way to check the gpu or anything else until I can find someone to run them on a system for me or just wait to buy a new computer and check the rest on the new one, hopefully after we do our taxes this year.

Thanks for all the help with this