Is There a Lot of Bottle-necking in my Current Setup?

So I've recently been thinking a lot about upgrading to a Ryzen 2700x, but looking back at exactly how my current PC is performing, I see less and less of a need to do so, however there could be a potential issue with bottlenecks in my current system. I have an fx-8350 CPU and a GTX 1080 Ti for a graphics card in my current build, so am I experiencing or should be experiencing a lot of bottle-necking with this setup, or is it good enough that it's not worth saving up the money to get a newer CPU?

Upgrade it , fx8350 wont keep the pace of that 1080ti, at least a Ryzen 2600, now are cheap, and you cant compare that gen frequency with nowadays

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

I would think that build is very badly bottlenecked by the CPU, your performance ought to increase a lot with a new CPU. Consider something when the new Ryzen 3000 series comes out.

Just so you know, you can check if there's a bottleneck by opening task manager and see if your CPU is pegged at 100% when gaming.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

that sounds like one heck of a bottleneck (oh boy that sounds good)

I would recommend a change to at least a 2600/8400 for less bottlenecking

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I would think that build is very badly bottlenecked by the CPU, your performance ought to increase a lot with a new CPU. Consider something when the new Ryzen 3000 series comes out.

Just so you know, you can check if there's a bottleneck by opening task manager and see if your CPU is pegged at 100% when gaming.

I checked and no, I don't reach 100%, and I'm still able to get up to that 60 FPS mark in all the games I tried with v-sync.

3 minutes ago, avrona said:

I checked and no, I don't reach 100%, and I'm still able to get up to that 60 FPS mark in all the games I tried with v-sync.

60fps isn't really demanding for a 1080ti, I bet it's not being used at 100% either. Chances are you'd have been alright with a 1070 or 1070ti for your performance. Do you play at 1440p?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

60fps isn't really demanding for a 1080ti, I bet it's not being used at 100% either. Chances are you'd have been alright with a 1070 or 1070ti for your performance. Do you play at 1440p?

I play at 2160.

Just now, avrona said:

I play at 2160.

So, 2160x1080? Yeah the 1080ti is super overkill, no wonder the 1080ti isn't being bottlenecked. If you were to push something like 4K or 144Hz, your CPU would be showing its age immediately.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

So, 2160x1080? Yeah the 1080ti is super overkill, no wonder the 1080ti isn't being bottlenecked. If you were to push something like 4K or 144Hz, your CPU would be showing its age immediately.

No not 2160x1080, 2160 as in 4k, so 3840x2160.

2 minutes ago, avrona said:

No not 2160x1080, 2160 as in 4k, so 3840x2160.

Yeah that was my bad, it's 2160 vs 2560 and so I always confuse them. Well, that's pretty good performance for an FX CPU honestly, what games do you play and what's it overclocked to?

Primary PC:

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah that was my bad, it's 2160 vs 2560 and so I always confuse them. Well, that's pretty good performance for an FX CPU honestly, what games do you play and what's it overclocked to?

The games I play vary in how demanding they are, from Overwatch being at a constant 60fps (all the games I mention are with v-sync), R6 Siege between 40 and 60, For Honour at around 50-60, Minecraft at a solid 60, and that's pretty much all I play right now. And it's not overclocked at all.

1 minute ago, avrona said:

The games play vary in how demanding they are, from Overwatch being at a constant 60fps (all the games I mention are with v-sync), R6 Siege between 40 and 60, For Honour at around 50-60, Minecraft at a solid 60, and that's pretty much all I play right now. And it's not overclocked at all.

Oh, that's pretty much as expected. Personally I wouldn't want dips to 40 mid game in something like R6, but if you're fine with the gameplay experience and graphics fidelity, then there's no reason to upgrade.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Oh, that's pretty much as expected. Personally I wouldn't want dips to 40 mid game in something like R6, but if you're fine with the gameplay experience and graphics fidelity, then there's no reason to upgrade.

Especially seeing how my monitor is a 60Hz one anyway, and those dips into the mid-low 40s are rare anyway, I'm just seeing less and less reason to upgrade, so I don't know if it's just people underestimating the power of a not overclocked 8350 or something that is causing so many people to tell me I really need to upgrade it. In a previous post I made, someone even said I have "The worst PC ever" ?.

5 minutes ago, avrona said:

Especially seeing how my monitor is a 60Hz one anyway, and those dips into the mid-low 40s are rare anyway, I'm just seeing less and less reason to upgrade, so I don't know if it's just people underestimating the power of a not overclocked 8350 or something that is causing so many people to tell me I really need to upgrade it. In a previous post I made, someone even said I have "The worst PC ever" ?.

Modern games do not like FX CPUs, because of the way they're structured. They share an fpu between cores, so compute power is gimped, and obviously the really old architecture that couldn't even compete with Intel's offerings at the time doesn't do it any favors. Your current performance is good and all, and not usually expected given the age. Most wouldn't put such an expensive GPU with such a cheap CPU.

Primary PC:

You could upgrade your FX-8350 to an FX-9370 (6% faster) or an FX-9590 (13% faster).

You can sell your FX-8350 for around £60. The FX-9370 is around £80 to buy.

Probably not worth the hassle, though.

19 hours ago, kingmustard said:

You could upgrade your FX-8350 to an FX-9370 (6% faster) or an FX-9590 (13% faster).

You can sell your FX-8350 for around £60. The FX-9370 is around £80 to buy.

Probably not worth the hassle, though.

Is it worth spending all that money just for a small update though, especially since I'm not planning on even selling my old CPU if I upgrade? Wouldn't it be better to save up a bit more for a Ryzen?

8 minutes ago, avrona said:

Is it worth spending all that money just for a small update though, especially since I'm not planning on even selling my old CPU if I upgrade? Wouldn't it be better to save up a bit more for a Ryzen?

Without a doubt.

Or an Intel Core.

Just now, kingmustard said:

Without a doubt.

Or an Intel Core.

I'm more of a AMD person when it comes to CPUs, especially since I do other things, not just gaming, on this PC.