Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What to do to prepare for Parts swap

So I'm going to be swapping out my old motherboard (MSI b150I Pro Gaming AC), my processor(I5-6400) and my cooler. And upgrading to a new Z370 Motherboard, I7-8700 and a new cooler. Memory express will be mounting the processor to the motherboard along with the cooler. I need to know what I will need to do before swapping the parts out, and any driver/ Program downloads to do to put on a USB stick. This is the first time I have ever done anything Like this. Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Frozenanjel said:

So I'm going to be swapping out my old motherboard (MSI b150I Pro Gaming AC), my processor(I5-6400) and my cooler. And upgrading to a new Z370 Motherboard, I7-8700 and a new cooler. Memory express will be mounting the processor to the motherboard along with the cooler. I need to know what I will need to do before swapping the parts out, and any driver/ Program downloads to do to put on a USB stick. This is the first time I have ever done anything Like this. Thanks.

I'd download the wireless LAN driver from here to ensure that you don't get stuck if Windows is unable to use its built-in network drivers. Other than that, you should be fine, though I will always suggest that you install a clean version of Windows when upgrading something as significant as your chipset. You can create a Windows installation tool on a blank USB drive with the software here.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16GB (2x8) Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 10 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

You should do a clean install, but before you need to do this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Also back up all your files.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

You should do a clean install, but before you need to do this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Also back up all your files.

Backup all my files? I am using an ssd as a boot drive and a hard drive for all my storage. Do I need to backup both? or just whats on the ssd

1 minute ago, Frozenanjel said:

Backup all my files? I am using an ssd as a boot drive and a hard drive for all my storage. Do I need to backup both? or just whats on the ssd

Oh well then you can just unplug your HDD while clean isntalling windows on the SSD then.

Anything on the SSD you want to keep just paste it over to the HDD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Frozenanjel said:

As long as you are careful to select the correct drive while installing, just the ssd. 

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

2 minutes ago, Fez_Boy said:

As long as you are careful to select the correct drive while installing, just the ssd. 

Nope.

Windows often screws up and puts system partitions on other drives, regardless of what you select.

Then if you ever unplug those other drives windows will fail to boot.

You should ALWAYS unplug all drives except one when installing windows.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Oh well then you can just unplug your HDD while clean isntalling windows on the SSD then.

Anything on the SSD you want to keep just paste it over to the HDD.

Okay, will everything on the HDD be compatible with the new install of windows? I mostly use the pc for games and I don't want to have to re-download a terabyte of games

2 minutes ago, Frozenanjel said:

Okay, will everything on the HDD be compatible with the new install of windows? I mostly use the pc for games and I don't want to have to re-download a terabyte of games

You will need to tell steam or whatever launcher where the location of the games is but it should detect them.

Programs (like steam) need to be reinstalled.

Also remove any passwords on your account to make things easier, otherwise you will run into permissions issues trying to access the HDD on the new install.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

You will need to tell steam or whatever launcher where the location of the games is but it should detect them.

Programs (like steam) need to be reinstalled.

Also remove any passwords on your account to make things easier, otherwise you will run into permissions issues trying to access the HDD on the new install.

You mean like passwords for my login to windows right?

6 minutes ago, Frozenanjel said:

You mean like passwords for my login to windows right?

Yeah, cause otherwise you need to do some workarounds to get access to the files again.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah, cause otherwise you need to do some workarounds to get access to the files again.

Good to know, how do I get a hold of "drivers" for my new motherboard? I am not 100% sure which motherboard I am getting, so would I need to download them before I swap out the parts?

22 minutes ago, Frozenanjel said:

Good to know, how do I get a hold of "drivers" for my new motherboard? I am not 100% sure which motherboard I am getting, so would I need to download them before I swap out the parts?

When you clean install windows it should install everything for you.

Just check for windows updates.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

I'd download the wireless LAN driver from here to ensure that you don't get stuck if Windows is unable to use its built-in network drivers. Other than that, you should be fine, though I will always suggest that you install a clean version of Windows when upgrading something as significant as your chipset. You can create a Windows installation tool on a blank USB drive with the software here.

lan drivers aren't the issues with win10 most likely :)

1 hour ago, Frozenanjel said:

slightly off topic, but I highly recommend to always have a backup of all data you don't want to loose on an external drive. Harddrives and SSDs can fail, they are not forever.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC