Server crashing during large file transfer (solved)

So i own a dell power edge t610, i upgraded the raid controller, when i was testing the file transfers first everything seemed to work perfectly, i transferred 90GB of files to 4 different drives as my old controller was giving me issues. i had no issues, so i powered off my server, put it back in my room and started it up, left it on for a few hours before i went to work on it, well i was backing up my files to my backup drive and next thing you know it, my server froze and reboots

the new controller i installed is a perc H700

so i am going down the list and running out of options here and hope a new OS install will fix this issue but i do not feel like to reconfigure everything again as this took me days to get everything set up

im running windows server 2012 r2 i have done a clean boot, update firmware driver to the raid card, there is no one on my server, server is up to date on updates, the bios has been updated, still i faced this issue. it worked before no problems and now this, any idea what it can be or any ideas i can use to fix this server before i just reinstall the OS, please help and thank you

server Specs

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

2 CPUs xeon 4 core X5550

32GB DDR3 RAM

1  146GB HDD

2  1TB HDD

2  4TB HDD

so an update i decided to run my backup OS from a exturnal hard drive and come to find out the issue still there so its in the hardware area. this is going to make me lose my mind, XD so anyone know anything of the raid card i have to get it working fine againhere is what card i have

Dell perc h700

its the 512MB model

xxfvx_1_1.png

Edited by LASERWOLF452

Another update. Just im sitting here trying to think. When i had my server upgraded to the h700 i had no internet or anything connected to the server and i was getting successful file transfers. So i did the same thing i unplugged the network cable and surprisingly. The damn thing works. So what is the issue here now. I cant have my server hooked up to the internet.???? If any one had this issue what can it be there is no exturnal network cards on this thing just 2 1gigabit ports. I will try a firmware update on this but if anyone knows what is the issue please help. I post an update if the firmware works or not 

Well im calling it a night if anyone knows something please help still facing the issue unless i inplug the network

1 hour ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

Well im calling it a night if anyone knows something please help still facing the issue unless i inplug the network

Check the heat on that heatsink, make sure there is airflow over it because they actually do get really hot. I've seen two different things happen when a RAID card gets too hot; Massive performance loss or server reboot.

Which slot is the card installed in? Anywhere near the network controller on the motherboard?

Re-seat everything (other than CPU), that can help, and check the iDRAC logs because there should be something in there for the freeze and reboot though it might not actually help.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Check the heat on that heatsink, make sure there is airflow over it because they actually do get really hot. I've seen two different things happen when a RAID card gets too hot; Massive performance loss or server reboot.

Which slot is the card installed in? Anywhere near the network controller on the motherboard?

Re-seat everything (other than CPU), that can help, and check the iDRAC logs because there should be something in there for the freeze and reboot though it might not actually help.

Thank you for your response. Once i get home i will do that and let you know i will go over all my connections. The card is located on the top of the motherboard. Where the old one was at. I never had any issues with the old one other then it wont work with my 4tb drives. It kept erroring out like it thinks it ran out of space cause it can only see 2tb out of the 4..i will also take a snap shot of the inside of the server so you can see how everything is set up. If worst comes to worst i just buy a network card and stick it in the pci slots

13 minutes ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

It kept erroring out like it thinks it ran out of space cause it can only see 2tb out of the 4

Older SAS cards can only address up to 2TB so that is probably what you were encountering.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Older SAS cards can only address up to 2TB so that is probably what you were encountering.

Yup i learned it the hard way. So thats y i upgraded to the dell perc h700 cause i want to use my 4tb drives and move files for my home network. One 4tb is the main drive for media and the second is for backups incase the first fails. 

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Ok i am home. When i was at work i got a friend that knows about servers but i don't have much to talk to him about it. He mentioned that the server is in hba mode (somthing along those lines) and it needed to be set to IT mode and its a setting in the bios. If i said a name wrong this was all fast to me in between breaks. I be taking the server out my room here in a few, get a pic of the inside. Post it plus i be testing it to see if it could be heat. Hope hooking the server to my network hub with no internet access will still trigger the crash. My room is to small for this trouble shooting process XD. I do thank you for your time to help me

If there us a setting in the server somewhere i would like to know what it is to make my controller and network play nice

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

here are both pics, 

the raid card is above the first CPU at the top of the case

the ethernetports are on the right side of the second CPU so this will give you an idea how things are plugged in, i also made a small chage to the card, there was a cord that came with the raid card (not the battery one) and had no idea where it gose so i left it there so i dont lose it XD but i moved it just incase that was the issue so i post here  soon with an update

_DSC1830.JPG

_DSC1832.JPG

So lets say if i was to get hired for google and they asked me to replace a raid controller with no knowledge cause they hear im good at fixing desktop computers. I would lose my damn job XD so can anyone just bash my head into a fire extinguisher cause i need it for how dumb i can be with servers. There was an extra wire that came with my server card. Had no idea what it was used for so im like forget it i plug it in so i dont lose it and leave the other end alone. Well after doing 3 test, heat test (had side panel off. Yes fans are installed just so i can test the heat on the card. Runs normal. And yes i did removed that wire. Then the second test with side panel shut then the 3rd with the wire installed. After the 3rd test. It crashed. So if anyone is new to raid cards and it comes with everything but not all will work or has a place. Leave it the hell alone and away from the damn card. Im going to find a wall and put a hole in it with my head XD

So a dumb question. What is that wire used for

Also have a good laugh

Capture+_2019-01-02-19-19-21.png

45 minutes ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

So a dumb question. What is that wire used for

Looks like it's this to me

https://www.disctech.com/Dell-9WJK6-Cable-for-the-PowerEdge-T110

LED cable for front panel to display health status.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Looks like it's this to me

LED cable for front panel to display health status.

The link don't work but sounds ligit. Not going to take the server apart again till later. I do thank you for helping me

8 minutes ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

The link don't work but sounds ligit. Not going to take the server apart again till later. I do thank you for helping me

Looks like the link had been cut short

That one should work if you're interested still but it's literally just a picture of the cable with the product description. 

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That one should work if you're interested still but it's literally just a picture of the cable with the product description. 

still failed so i took the words Dell 9WJK6 Cable  for the Power Edge and found the site but ya i see it i wanted to look at it. at least i know what its used for but hey my server works, i keep the cord tho, as of now i dont see any real use for it. if anything ware to happen it be 2 things, dead battery or a fried chip, either way if there is a problem it wont boot my OS or the server will no longer sees the card

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

well i hate to say this but it did it again. so its to what you said before, guess i was in a cool enough room for it not to act up so when i went back to my remote desktop it lost connection, i knew its the same problem so i took the side panel off and felt the chip, hot to the touch. i stuck a fan on the side of my server that is hitting the chip, doing another transfer, doing fine, guess i need a fan for the chip.. any suggestions, there is no ware where air can hit this chip and i dont have a place for this server other then my room

2 minutes ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

well i hate to say this but it did it again. so its to what you said before, guess i was in a cool enough room for it not to act up so when i went back to my remote desktop it lost connection, i knew its the same problem so i took the side panel off and felt the chip, hot to the touch. i stuck a fan on the side of my server that is hitting the chip, doing another transfer, doing fine, guess i need a fan for the chip.. any suggestions, there is no ware where air can hit this chip and i dont have a place for this server other then my room

There is one other thing I would suggest, cleaning off all that dust. Long shot but I had a problem where the dust would absorb moisture and prevent the computer from turning on at all, might be something similar.

image.thumb.png.e7b17cc7da47cea61208ecf96e09bc6d.png

Does that section of the shroud have a fan to blow across the PCIe slots? I'm thinking no since it would be too close for a full length card.

You could also move the card to one of the other PCIe slots to give it more free air space, that might be enough to keep it cool though realistically those newer cards are designed to have airflow over the heatsink. 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

There is one other thing I would suggest, cleaning off all that dust. Long shot but I had a problem where the dust would absorb moisture and prevent the computer from turning on at all, might be something similar.

image.thumb.png.e7b17cc7da47cea61208ecf96e09bc6d.png

Does that section of the shroud have a fan to blow across the PCIe slots? I'm thinking no since it would be too close for a full length card.

You could also move the card to one of the other PCIe slots to give it more free air space, that might be enough to keep it cool though realistically those newer cards are designed to have airflow over the heatsink. 

sadly no there is no fan there by that thing, 2 i know about the dust but this is a server and not a desktop so far you see where my knowledge is with this server stuff XD

the only things i dusted off was the fans, ram, CPU heat sinks and the air flow thing that has 2 fans in it, was afraid to take the system completely apart to clean it and come to find out i F***ed something up as a server environment is way different then a PC, i try not to mess up this server as i got it on a good deal and always wanted to own a server for educational purposes and make it a home networking media server. its hard to come by a good server at a good price with the power i have installed into it

guess i found my learning path. trouble shooting XD

if cleaning is as simple as cleaning a PC if you do say that, i have one question cause i did not wont to take out the CPUs and have an issue later cause i wanted to re thermal paste them after i fully clean the heat sinks. what is a good thermal pate for a server or can i use the one i own. i would show a pic but i lost it somewhere XD. if im not mistaken its high grade stuff

wile i waite im going to move the card to another slot. if it still over heats can i just buy a fan for it and what be a good choise for this case or can i buy one and attach it to teh card

3 minutes ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

if cleaning is as simple as cleaning a PC if you do say that, i have one question cause i did not wont to take out the CPUs and have an issue later cause i wanted to re thermal paste them after i fully clean the heat sinks. what is a good thermal pate for a server or can i use the one i own. i would show a pic but i lost it somewhere XD. if im not mistaken its high grade stuff

I wouldn't do a complete clean just a light dust off behind the CPU by the motherboard I/O ports.

4 minutes ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

wile i waite im going to move the card to another slot. if it still over heats can i just buy a fan for it and what be a good choise for this case or can i buy one and attach it to teh card

I'd just go for a fan blowing air over it, anything would do but something you know you'd be able to mount in some way. I find double sided outdoor tape to work really well and come off cleanly. Stick the fan to one of the PCIe slot covers or something. First I'd try and find a way to prove it's the RAID card over heating, LSI MegaRAID Storage Manager would be able to give you the actual temp readout of the card.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I wouldn't do a complete clean just a light dust off behind the CPU by the motherboard I/O ports.

I'd just go for a fan blowing air over it, anything would do but something you know you'd be able to mount in some way. I find double sided outdoor tape to work really well and come off cleanly. Stick the fan to one of the PCIe slot covers or something. First I'd try and find a way to prove it's the RAID card over heating, LSI MegaRAID Storage Manager would be able to give you the actual temp readout of the card.

Ok well i give it a shot but having the server back in my room made it clear its a heating issue. Blowing my fan into the side of the server. I was able to transfer 100gb if fikes successfully. Now when i did move the card i ran into an issue. Wires are to short so im going to have to buy longer ones cause it wont go nowhere but the original slot and no way to tuck the wires under the fan system. I place the card back and give you 2 screen shots. One with the side panel on and one with the side off with a fan blowing in the system to see different temps

If the card was to still over heat i rig up something in there when i get new longer cables 

Keep in mind my room is warmer then the rest of my place. Sucks to share a place cause i would put the server in a better place 

Edited by LASERWOLF452

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

ok i got the software, how do i get it to show temps so i can show you when i do a file transfer, server runs fine if there is no large transfers at all

8 minutes ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

ok i got the software, how do i get it to show temps so i can show you when i do a file transfer, server runs fine if there is no large transfers at all

On the physical tab select the controller itself and it's a little ways down the properties.

image.png.f5dfc576cc533d7b4e9289991f1e5c23.png

1 minute ago, LASERWOLF452 said:

ok so i did go to the right place, sadly no chip temp here

Well that sucks, not listed somewhere else on there maybe? Not a big deal, if you know it works fine with fan blowing on it and doesn't without the fan then pretty much all you need to know anyway.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Well that sucks, not listed somewhere else on there maybe? Not a big deal, if you know it works fine with fan blowing on it and doesn't without the fan then pretty much all you need to know anyway.

yup, just to find my issue was not relied on software as you see, its the hard way XD useily its better to see it for your self then the software tell you. if only i can find a fan with a IDE power port then rig it in a angle of the server so the air bounces off from the roof of the case onto the heat sink or if this way works just aim it at the bottom of the chip