I Have No Idea Where To Plug These Little Fuckers In

Go to solution Solved by Swarlos,
59 minutes ago, hbmcd02 said:

Hi LTT community,

This is my first time on this site, and I am desperate. I love Linus' videos so I felt like this might be a good place to post.

I am currently knee-deep in my first PC build, which I've been excited for since this last summer when I first started saving up the $1,400 it eventually took me to buy this. The important parts of the build are as follows: Asus Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 motherboard, Deepcool Tesseract SW ATX Mid Tower case, and EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Cert ATX power supply. Now here's my issue, I have no god damn clue where to plug in all these fucking cords.

I'm only able to find places where I think the USB cords should go, and the headers for the 20-pin motherboard power supply and the CPU. I cannot find any type of diagram or guide that'll show me where to put ANY OF THESE CORDS. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO CALL THEM. PLUGS? Fucking, MODULAR COMPUTER SNAKES? I'm beyond lost. 

Thank you for reading this. I've been staring at my motherboard for so long looking for a place to plug in all these things. There isn't even something I can find that will tell me which modular cords I do and don't need. There's just a bunch of confusing, unlabeled cords and a bunch of headers on my motherboard that say RGB_HEADER and TPM.

Thank you SO MUCH,

hbmcd02

First builds can be overwhelming to do on your own, just take a breath.  As Slottr said above, your motherboard manual is your friend for telling you where to plug things in, but if you don't know what they are called it makes it more difficult.

There's CPU Power (EPS 12v) that plugs into the motherboard, usually near the top left of the motherboard.  The connector is a block of 8 pins (2 rows, 4 columns),  the power supply cable is probably labeled CPU and is probably broken into 2 4pin connectors that you plug in together.

There's motherboard power, the big one, you said 20-pin, but I think it's 24 pin.

You didn't mention a graphics card, but if that needs power directly from the power supply in addition to the power from the PCIe slot, it will likely be a 6 or 8pin connector labeled PCIE.

If you have a 2.5" SSD or 3.5" hard drive they will take SATA power and SATA data cables.  SATA power cables are likely in a chain of 3 or 4 all on one cable to the PSU.  SATA data cables go directly from the SSD or HDD to the motherboard.  The SATA data cable slots on the motherboard are on the bottom right, they are angled to the side so you may not see them at a glance if you don't know where to look.

The big blue cable from the case is for USB 3.  That plugs in at either of the headers labeled U31G1_12 or U31G1_34.

The 4pin USB2 cable plugs in at USB910 or USB1112.  The header is designed to support 2 USB 2.0 connections, but since your case only has one you'll only fill half of it. Consult your motherboard manual.

Also consult your motherboard manual for the other small cables from the case, the power button, reset button, front audio jacks, etc are all described in the motherboard manual.

Hi LTT community,

This is my first time on this site, and I am desperate. I love Linus' videos so I felt like this might be a good place to post.

I am currently knee-deep in my first PC build, which I've been excited for since this last summer when I first started saving up the $1,400 it eventually took me to buy this. The important parts of the build are as follows: Asus Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 motherboard, Deepcool Tesseract SW ATX Mid Tower case, and EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Cert ATX power supply. Now here's my issue, I have no god damn clue where to plug in all these fucking cords.

I'm only able to find places where I think the USB cords should go, and the headers for the 20-pin motherboard power supply and the CPU. I cannot find any type of diagram or guide that'll show me where to put ANY OF THESE CORDS. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO CALL THEM. PLUGS? Fucking, MODULAR COMPUTER SNAKES? I'm beyond lost. 

Thank you for reading this. I've been staring at my motherboard for so long looking for a place to plug in all these things. There isn't even something I can find that will tell me which modular cords I do and don't need. There's just a bunch of confusing, unlabeled cords and a bunch of headers on my motherboard that say RGB_HEADER and TPM.

Thank you SO MUCH,

hbmcd02

12 minutes ago, hbmcd02 said:

Hi LTT community,

Thank you SO MUCH,

hbmcd02

RGB header is for the RGB.
TPM is for a secure boot feature. It's hardware encryption.
You don't have to use either of them if you don't have anything to plug into it.

It's not a race to the bottom.

19 minutes ago, hbmcd02 said:

Hi LTT community,

Thank you SO MUCH,

hbmcd02

plug it where it fits.

59 minutes ago, hbmcd02 said:

Hi LTT community,

Thank you SO MUCH,

hbmcd02

First builds can be overwhelming to do on your own, just take a breath.  As Slottr said above, your motherboard manual is your friend for telling you where to plug things in, but if you don't know what they are called it makes it more difficult.

There's CPU Power (EPS 12v) that plugs into the motherboard, usually near the top left of the motherboard.  The connector is a block of 8 pins (2 rows, 4 columns),  the power supply cable is probably labeled CPU and is probably broken into 2 4pin connectors that you plug in together.

There's motherboard power, the big one, you said 20-pin, but I think it's 24 pin.

You didn't mention a graphics card, but if that needs power directly from the power supply in addition to the power from the PCIe slot, it will likely be a 6 or 8pin connector labeled PCIE.

If you have a 2.5" SSD or 3.5" hard drive they will take SATA power and SATA data cables.  SATA power cables are likely in a chain of 3 or 4 all on one cable to the PSU.  SATA data cables go directly from the SSD or HDD to the motherboard.  The SATA data cable slots on the motherboard are on the bottom right, they are angled to the side so you may not see them at a glance if you don't know where to look.

The big blue cable from the case is for USB 3.  That plugs in at either of the headers labeled U31G1_12 or U31G1_34.

The 4pin USB2 cable plugs in at USB910 or USB1112.  The header is designed to support 2 USB 2.0 connections, but since your case only has one you'll only fill half of it. Consult your motherboard manual.

Also consult your motherboard manual for the other small cables from the case, the power button, reset button, front audio jacks, etc are all described in the motherboard manual.