AT&T nerfing its 5G network, Speedtest results are similar to 4G

captain_to_fire

Source: https://www.androidauthority.com/5g-speedtest-att-938865/ 

5g-speedtest.jpg

Reddit user “mwb6d” posted an image of their Netgear Nighthawk 5G Hotspot connected to AT&T’s 5G network. The user then posted two screenshots: a 5G speedtest using the Nighthawk in Indianapolis directly across the street from a low cell tower, and then a test using the same equipment in the same spot, but with the Nighthawk on LTE instead. 

You’ll immediately notice that the two speedtests are very similar to one another. They both have the exact same ping time and their download speeds are in the same ballpark. The only big difference between 5G and 4G, it seems, is upload speed: the 5G speedtest shows that 5G uploads are more than twice as fast as 4G.

Why are these speedtests so similar? Shouldn’t the 5G test be crazy fast, or at the very least much faster than the 4G test?

Oh boy. Remember the overhyped promise of AT&T’s 5G network? It looks like the overpriced Netgear hotspot is off to a bad start. 

Granted those speeds are still crazy fast but not as fast as advertised not to mention not worth it for a $499 hotspot and a $70 monthly fee for a pathetic 15GB data plan. For a next generation network, the only advantage you’re getting is slightly faster upload speeds but don’t get started on streaming a game with it because you’ll be capped to 15GB. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Fun fact: that download speed is nearly twice as fast as Australia's maximum consumer NBN speeds...when on one of the few fiber parts of it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, captain_to_fire said:

carriers like AT&T faking 5G makes actual 5G (5G NR) less exciting 

Between these stories and the reports from OnePlus,

It sounds like 5G is still a while a way from being viable or even affordable.

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Fun fact: that download speed is nearly twice as fast as Australia's maximum consumer NBN speeds...when on one of the few fiber parts of it.

Just ran a SpeedTest and can confirm, not currently on NBN though.

Screenshot_2.png.4ffc79b2dbb111df1620de9cf4c5c576.png

Man I don't realize just how bad our internet is until we compare it directly.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Just ran a SpeedTest and can confirm, not currently on NBN though.

Screenshot_2.png.4ffc79b2dbb111df1620de9cf4c5c576.png

Man I don't realize just how bad our internet is until we compare it directly.

No wonder @leadeater is gloating on how NZ internet is better. xD /jk 

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

No wonder @leadeater is gloating on how NZ internet is betterxD /jk  

Yeah well I've had worse so...it could be worse...but only just. ?

7 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

It sounds like 5G is still a while a way from being viable or even affordable.

When our wireless carriers started rolling out LTE, prices for phone plans didn’t change but in exchange they killed unlimited data plans after a year and a half. With 5G they can in theory keep current unlimited data plans but in exchange for more money because deploying 5G from what I’ve read is expensive. They have to use beamforming and small cells to offset the constant interference of millimeter waves. 

Of course it's no different, they are faking it up. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

No wonder @leadeater is gloating on how NZ internet is better. xD /jk 

It's just nice to not be the butt end of the joke anymore, Aus internet in the early 2000's was a lot better than ours. Have to seize the opportunity while we can ?

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's just nice to not be the butt end of the joke anymore, Aus internet in the early 2000's was a lot better than ours. Have to seize the opportunity while we can ?

Isn’t early 2000s are the glory days of 56K dial up internet and DSL is the new technology? Does it mean Australia had DSL first before NZ? 

Meh.  It's AT&T.  There's a reason they've consistently been rated as the lowest scoring customer satisfaction of any major company.  They basically lie, take advantage of customers, and provide piss-poor service.

I would need to look in to this more, but at this stage I believe that this network is not the same as the rebranded "5Ge" LTE network that AT&T is deceiving customers with which I posted about a few weeks ago here.

While the fake "5Ge" runs on 4G LTE devices and is just AT&Ts 4G LTE with a name change, the Nighthawk hotspot modem used by the reddit user uses the Snapdragon X50 5G Modem for actual(?) 5G connection. Some areas in Louisiana are part of AT&Ts trial locations for actual(?) 5G, branded by AT&T as "5G+", which is also what is shown to be connected to in the images on reddit. From what I've read it's only select test locations and it's not available at all towers in Louisana yet.

My guess is whatever tower he's connecting too isn't properly supporting "5G+" yet. Network congestion could still play a factor. It might need other upgrades such as backhaul upgrades to fully enable 5G speeds for users.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's just nice to not be the but end of the joke anymore, Aus internet in the early 2000's was a lot better than ours. Have to seize the opportunity while we can ?

How bad was your internet? I was on dial-up until the early 2010s. (3G was available, but only one cell tower for my town and it was $100 for 10GB and would be slower than dial up between 3pm - 12am, and the frequent drop outs meant it wasn't reliable enough to do anything with).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

48 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Aussiebroadband have 250/100 consumer plans, and our LTE in Australia is generally faster than those speed tests. Our mobile networks are some of the best in the world.

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

When our wireless carriers started rolling out LTE, prices for phone plans didn’t change but in exchange they killed unlimited data plans after a year and a half. With 5G they can in theory keep current unlimited data plans but in exchange for more money because deploying 5G from what I’ve read is expensive. They have to use beamforming and small cells to offset the constant interference of millimeter waves. 

So you'd have to think it could be a considerable price increase?

19 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Isn’t early 2000s are the glory days of 56K dial up internet and DSL is the new technology? Does it mean Australia had DSL first before NZ? 

Yep they had DSL first, was more wide spread and they also got VDSL in places years before we anything faster than ADSL2+. They also had cable options as well in certain places. Also most of our road side boxes were really old, long cable runs and old cable so DSL services over those were really bad and a lot of the trenches had water ingress issues during rain (very common here) so internet would break or go extremely slow during rain.

22 minutes ago, Spotty said:

How bad was your internet? I was on dial-up until the early 2010s. (3G was available, but only one cell tower for my town and it was $100 for 10GB and would be slower than dial up between 3pm - 12am, and the frequent drop outs meant it wasn't reliable enough to do anything with).

Being stuck on dailup here was common too, even if you were not that far out of town. In towns not so bad but DSL services weren't that good due long cable lengths and age of the cables. 3G was not an option either, 3G was in towns only. If you were lucky you could get long range wireless in more rural areas but that was extremely expensive.

This is exactly why Apple decided to wait until American Telecom can start being honest and deploy a real 5G system before making a 5G phone. A steady pace wins the race.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

So you'd have to think it could be a considerable price increase?

I don’t know. Could mmWaves scale up to a large country like the US? Maybe for smaller countries it can scale up properly. That’s why I’d rather see more LTE-A (aka true 4G) deployments because it will still use sub-1GHz spectrum together with frequencies >1GHz. 

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is exactly why Apple decided to wait until American Telecom can start being honest and deploy a real 5G system before making a 5G phone. A steady pace wins the race.....

Gotta be in it to win it ?

Honestly it doesn't make any difference, it isn't actually Apple or any other company being smart or tactical, just waiting for 5G cellular modules to be cheaper. They'll still support 4G when used anyway so there is no need to actually wait other than profit margin on the devices.

Speed isn't the only change that will come with 5G, the big change with 5G is latency. Since the wavelengths are so much shorter in the higher frequency waves that 5G uses, the latency for consumer wireless connections will be drastically reduced, in the order of possibly a 50 times reduction in latency from 4G.

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep they had DSL first, was more wide spread and they also got VDSL in places years before we anything faster than ADSL2

I remember those days of early DSL and my ISP offered 256 kbps, 512 kbps and 1 mbps. Kids nowadays don’t know the struggle of downloading songs from the virus factory Limewire, when I could’ve just bought the CD. ? 

B60E900A-090B-452D-AF96-1F9FA468581E.jpeg

A0ADCBA5-237B-4A37-8B21-9ABD09B084C3.jpeg