I have both SSD and HDD but I want to play games on the HDD

NetworkNerd3

My SSD seems to have taken over my computer, and I cant play old games that were on my hard drive without re-downloading them onto my SSD, however I am out of space on my SSD. Is there a way to play a game such as fortnite through my hard drive?

Depending on how they're acquired, you can move them to your hard drive and change the location there. Steam directly allows you to do this, as long as you have a library pointing to the hard drive in Steam(it'll move all your files for you and ensure everything is set up correctly). Origin also allows you to do this. If you haven't installed Fortnite yet, you can have the installer point to the hard drive, either just the drive, or a particular folder for it to sit in.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have fortnite already downloaded onto my hard drive. I also deleted a copy of fortnite off of my SSD to gain more space. And when I open the epic games launcher and it says "Install" and it also wont let me select to download on my HDD or straight up play the copy I already had downloaded. Wierd

4 minutes ago, NetworkNerd3 said:

I have fortnite already downloaded onto my hard drive. I also deleted a copy of fortnite off of my SSD to gain more space. And when I open the epic games launcher and it says "Install" and it also wont let me select to download on my HDD or straight up play the copy I already had downloaded. Wierd

What do you see when you hit Install? I went to install SuperMeatBoy and I was able to browse to a different folder on a completely different drive. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It literally wont let me install. The button cant be clicked.

image.png

1 minute ago, NetworkNerd3 said:

It literally wont let me install. The button cant be clicked.

image.png

Is the drive above your hard drive or SSD? It appears to be your SSD based on the pathway being shown.

The thing is, the directory isnt empty because this should be already downloaded onto my HDD. and this is my HDD

-

2 minutes ago, NetworkNerd3 said:

The thing is, the directory isnt empty because this should be already downloaded onto my HDD. and this is my HDD

-

Can you launch the game without the Epic Game Launcher? 

I've been playing around with it for the past 10 or so minutes, and I was able to launch SuperMeatBoy without the launcher.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Can you launch the game without the Epic Game Launcher? 

I've been playing around with it for the past 10 or so minutes, and I was able to launch SuperMeatBoy without the launcher.

I tried looking through the files and couldnt find the "fortnite" application. I found one earlier and it game me an error

6 minutes ago, NetworkNerd3 said:

I tried looking through the files and couldnt find the "fortnite" application. I found one earlier and it game me an error

I was able to get around the limitation that Epic imposes on game installations twice, so hopefully it'll work for you too.

Copy the files from your hard drive to your SSD...Basically, keep a copy of them somewhere that is easily accessible. Uninstall the game using the launcher. Start installing the game at the intended installation location, and once it started, pause it. Close the launcher and navigate to the folder that was created and remove the folder that the launcher created. In its place, copy your game files over, and re-open the launcher. Once it opens, resume the installation and it should just verify the files.

If you have any questions, let me know.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I was able to get around the limitation that Epic imposes on game installations twice, so hopefully it'll work for you too.

Copy the files from your hard drive to your SSD...Basically, keep a copy of them somewhere that is easily accessible. Uninstall the game using the launcher. Start installing the game at the intended installation location, and once it started, pause it. Close the launcher and navigate to the folder that was created and remove the folder that the launcher created. In its place, copy your game files over, and re-open the launcher. Once it opens, resume the installation and it should just verify the files.

If you have any questions, let me know.

I do not believe I have enough room in my SSD. I only have 20 Gigabytes. dang it!

Just now, NetworkNerd3 said:

I do not believe I have enough room in my SSD. I only have 20 Gigabytes. dang it!

Any way you can move some stuff on the SSD to the hard drive temporarily?

2 minutes ago, NetworkNerd3 said:

Yes, let me give this a try. 

Let me know how it goes.

Im copying it over now. The only thing is this will end up on my SSD not my HDD?

Im copying it over now. The only thing is this will end up on my SSD not my HDD?

No. 

All the files must be removed from the actual destination device for the game. The launcher will either use an empty directory or create a new one. Once the installation starts(pretend you're going to download all the files to the hard drive), pause it, and close the launcher. Delete the folder that now exists within the game folder, and copy over the files you backed up, and re-open the launcher, and then resume the download. It should see the files and just verify they're there, and now show it as being installed.

has anyone ever mentioned how smart you are? THANK YOU!

No problem. :)