8700, 2700x, or wait?

Hey guys,

I´d love to hear your opinions on the idea of upgrading of my pc :)

My use case has shifted from Gaming machine (purely) to: Gaming / Music Production / Office work

Reasoning for upgrade: I want ATX->MiniITX (flat is small, I want my table more tidy and studio-esque) / 8700 or 2700x: both are an upgrade for producing, office and gaming / I would use the i5 build as a hackintosh project for fun / maybe pass it on in the family / maybe sell

Aware of: both CPUs prob being overkill for me;

Current setup: - i5 6600k - msi gtx 1070 twin frozr - 1440p, 75Hz ASUS monitor - asus z 170k - 16gb corsair ram (I think 2133 mhz)

I will not go back to 1080p screens. So staying @ 1440p, my guesses / questions are:

- at 1440p gaming the 8700 and 2700x will perform almost identically with a GTX 1070, right?

- despite of the resolution of 1440p: Some games will still perform better on the 8700, because of the nice 4.(?)6 GhZ boost clocks (e.g. WoW, HOI 4 etc.), right?

- streaming and hosting games will be solid on both, right?

- apart from gaming (light use of DAW programs and other than that, office work and multitasking) I wont notice a difference here, right?

- I suppose that the 2133mhz ram will be more of a problem should I go with amd, right? (its slow speed will cripple it more than intel; as of now I really want to avoid buying RAM)

- If I want a super super silent mini itx on my table, the included amd cooler might be too loud. That will force me to buy a proper cooler anway. (In Austria the 8700 and 2700x are roughly the same price - about 330€ So, guessing that the 2700x would force me to get new RAM, the intel option is actually cheaper)

- I thought of going for a thunderbolt enclosure for my 1070, so I could also use it with my T 480s on the go. While not gaming, my desktop would be really cool, the noctua fans going rly slow, so basically silent. Are there reasonably priced mini itx coffe lake boards with thunderbolt usb c?

- both of these cpus will let my 1070 probably unfurl like 3-10% higher performance right? I feel like the 6600k is a sliiiiiiiight bottleneck, even at 1440p. Though I gotta say, I never pushed its OC hard.

What do you guys think? I dont need this upgrade asap, I could wait for new CPUs. I'm a little concerned with coffee lake because of the temperature <-> noise. AMD on the other hand.... I kinda rly wanna support them at this point in time, but I feel like the 2133 mhz ram is gonna hurt it much more than it will hurt the 8700. Getting it to run smoothly - I just feel like thats gonna be more of a struggle with the 2700x.

Also, I know that a 1600x or sth would probably also do just fine, but I want to keep that mini build for a while and Im just a sucker for it haha. Im also kinda more on the intel side, as I wont need to buy a GPU, should my 1070 die (gaming is by far not my nr 1 use case anymore. looking like 2yrs into the future, it could very well be that I dont game at all anymore. For music and office work, I dont need a GPU, but the 2700x would force me to buy one.)

Anyway, Im really looking forward to hearing your opinions, and thanks for taking the time ! :)

Greetings from Austria,

Chris

Wait.
Be it to buy the new CPU from AMD that will be announced in a couple days or for the predictable price drops on older hardware when said AMD CPUs are near release.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

thank you guys for your replies, that seems very reasonable! I didnt know we were that close to new announcements. Is it reasonable to expect 3000 series AMD processors to also really bottleneck off of that 2133 mhz ram? Or is the nature of these CPUs to shift at least a little in that regard?

I'd wait. CES is just around the corner and AMD will most likely unveil Zen 2. The prices for Zen+ chips like the 2700X will probably drop.

1 minute ago, Chris Breezy said:

thank you guys for your replies, that seems very reasonable! I didnt know we were that close to new announcements. Is it reasonable to expect 3000 series AMD processors to also really bottleneck off of that 2133 mhz ram? Or is the nature of these CPUs to shift at least a little in that regard?

it might be better, but we don't really know yet...

2 minutes ago, Chris Breezy said:

Is it reasonable to expect 3000 series AMD processors to also really bottleneck off of that 2133 mhz ram? Or is the nature of these CPUs to shift at least a little in that regard?

Due to the way AMD has implemented multithreading, it benefits from having faster RAM(infinity fabric), so yes, it would "bottleneck" with 2133 Mhz RAM.
Unless this has completely changed with Zen, but I doubt it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2133mhz memory will bottleneck even the i7 8700 just not as severely as it does on Ryzen.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Due to the way AMD has implemented multithreading, it benefits from having faster RAM, so yes, it would "bottleneck" with 2133 Mhz RAM.
Unless this has completely changed with Zen, but I doubt it.

Ok thanks. Alright, alrdy thought so. If only I had bothered more, when I bought that RAM back in 2016 haha. Now, the prices are insane and I just kinda wanna refuse. So I guess an even lower price 2700x / very interesting 3000 series option, will just increase my dilemma haha.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

2133mhz memory will bottleneck even the i7 8700 just not as severely as it does on Ryzen.

definitely yeah. Realistically I wouldnt really notice either way I guess. But just knowing that my RAM is holding the CPU back by alot, that would just drive me crazy at some point haha

4 minutes ago, Chris Breezy said:

Ok thanks. Alright, alrdy thought so. If only I had bothered more, when I bought that RAM back in 2016 haha. Now, the prices are insane and I just kinda wanna refuse. So I guess an even lower price 2700x / very interesting 3000 series option, will just increase my dilemma haha.

You could sell you current RAM and buy a new kit of at least 3000 Mhz RAM.
Or wait a couple months. RAM prices are going down now.

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You could sell you current RAM and buy a new kit of at least 3000 Mhz RAM.
Or wait a couple months. RAM prices are going down now.

True that, but wont I need a more expensive board then? One idea was to cheap out a little bit on the board, as I wont need to OC and intel prob isnt gonna support that board in future. On the other hand, thatd definitely kill the whole idea with the thunderbolt enclosure, I guess cheap boards wont come with TB3. Also, its questionable how much Id rly be able to save.

1 hour ago, Chris Breezy said:

but wont I need a more expensive board then?

Depends on your boards. On the AMD side, even the cheapest boards on the latest chipset can support 3200MHz through a simple overclock.

On the Intel side though, that's a different story, you're limited to slower speeds, like 2666MHz because Intel is garbage greedy and they want you to buy their premium boards for features you'll likely never use or even need, just to be able to get better speeds.

If you wanted to save money, you wouldn't be buying Intel in the first place though.

9 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Depends on your boards. On the AMD side, even the cheapest boards on the latest chipset can support 3200MHz through a simple overclock.

On the Intel side though, that's a different story, you're limited to slower speeds, like 2666MHz because Intel is garbage greedy and they want you to buy their premium boards for features you'll likely never use or even need, just to be able to get better speeds.

If you wanted to save money, you wouldn't be buying Intel in the first place though.

Alright thanks for all your help! You truly helped out alot. Even though im interested in tech, things changed alot since I last bought parts and getting a clear picture of all the relevant factors can be quite demanding.

Thank you guys all so much! :)