mATX s1150 SLI board

Hello lads, happy New Year. 

Cant seem to find any of those, do they even exist? 

Found the Maximus VII Gene, which does also support it. Found a killer deal on a GTX 980, sp i would SLI them, do u guys think its enough for 1440p/60?

16 hours ago, filippalfi said:

Cant seem to find any of those, do they even exist? 

Yes but 1150 is EOL and thus you won't find them no more as there is no stock left.

But its also rather pointless as you are limited to rather small cases and thus restricted airflow. And SLI doesn't even work with many games or causes Problems...

So why do you want that?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

45 minutes ago, filippalfi said:

Found the Maximus VII Gene, which does also support it. Found a killer deal on a GTX 980, sp i would SLI them, do u guys think its enough for 1440p/60?

No, because those cards only have 4GiB VRAM and that is the limiting factor.

When you don't have enough VRAM, the performance suffers heavily...

So you're better off selling the 980 and getting something with 8GiB VRAM - RX480/580 or 470/570 doesn't matter as long as it has 8GiB VRAM.

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes but 1150 is EOL and thus you won't find them no more as there is no stock left.

But its also rather pointless as you are limited to rather small cases and thus restricted airflow. And SLI doesn't even work with many games or causes Problems...

So why do you want that?

Because i already have a 1150 rig with a 980 which performs really well at 1080p,at least to me,and can get the mobo and another 980 for 200usd,few bucks less actually, which seems like a pretty good deal. Seeing some GTX 980 SLI benchmarks on YT, i say it does work pretty well at 1440p.

1 hour ago, filippalfi said:

Because i already have a 1150 rig with a 980 which performs really well at 1080p,at least to me,and can get the mobo and another 980 for 200usd,few bucks less actually, which seems like a pretty good deal. Seeing some GTX 980 SLI benchmarks on YT, i say it does work pretty well at 1440p.

1) because it seems like a decennt deal doesn't mean it is

2) 200 USD seems nice but isn't. As said, the VRAM is very limiting these days.

3) when are those GTX 980 SLI Benchmarks made? What Games are tested???

IS SLI actually supportet in the Games you play? I have tried Crossfire a while back and it didn't work with most games I've tried/played at the time. Most of them were Console ports like some "Warriors" Series style games from Koei Tecmo for example.

Right now I'm trying Assasin's Creed Odyssey and it uses around 5GiB with the settings I'm doing right now...

So with the 4GiB you're fucked now if you want higher textures and need a new GPU anyway.

So getting a second GPU with only 6GiB VRAM is just a waste of money that makes NO SENSE!

Because 4GiB is reached pretty easily in most "AAA" Games these days...

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

1) because it seems like a decennt deal doesn't mean it is

2) 200 USD seems nice but isn't. As said, the VRAM is very limiting these days.

3) when are those GTX 980 SLI Benchmarks made? What Games are tested???

IS SLI actually supportet in the Games you play? I have tried Crossfire a while back and it didn't work with most games I've tried/played at the time. Most of them were Console ports like some "Warriors" Series style games from Koei Tecmo for example.

Right now I'm trying Assasin's Creed Odyssey and it uses around 5GiB with the settings I'm doing right now...

So with the 4GiB you're fucked now if you want higher textures and need a new GPU anyway.

So getting a second GPU with only 6GiB VRAM is just a waste of money that makes NO SENSE!

200$ for a 980 and Maximus VII Gene is a very good deal for the parts themselves. Just to make it clear, i DONT need this, as it is now, it runs everything on 1080p with ease. The only reason for doing this is because i can get it for cheap, even if i wanted to flip the parts its gonna be good,so why not and try to run it, it cant be worse, and even if it somehow is, i can still flip that and make some money. 

Should be plenty. Have 3 friends that all use a 980 on 1440. Even for vram hogs like black ops 3. 

Id do it. Wanted to try that board myself or a griffin I think it was called. Only $200 bucks, no reason not to try it. 2 is better than 1, which is always true. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, filippalfi said:

200$ for a 980 and Maximus VII Gene is a very good deal for the parts themselves. Just to make it clear, i DONT need this, as it is now, it runs everything on 1080p with ease. The only reason for doing this is because i can get it for cheap, even if i wanted to flip the parts its gonna be good,so why not and try to run it, it cant be worse, and even if it somehow is, i can still flip that and make some money. 

I'm not a fan of paying for something you don't need or getting "a good deal from a friend", just to sell it elsewhere.

Thus I'm against it because of that.

And selling your GPU, getting a new one would make more sense.

SLI is just shit and you have to expect it to be something you have to fiddle around and other stuff...

50 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Even for vram hogs like black ops 3. 

That's so yesteryear...

Newer games are taking way more VRAM than that oldie...

Black Ops 3 is already 3 years old, going towards the 4th...

31 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I'm not a fan of paying for something you don't need or getting "a good deal from a friend", just to sell it elsewhere.

Thus I'm against it because of that.

I think you misunderstood my post completely,and yeah, fiddling around is something i can do by myself and dont mind doing it, otherwise i would get a prebuilt. 

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Should be plenty. Have 3 friends that all use a 980 on 1440. Even for vram hogs like black ops 3. 

Id do it. Wanted to try that board myself or a griffin I think it was called. Only $200 bucks, no reason not to try it. 2 is better than 1, which is always true. 

Plot twist! 

Turns out its a VI Gene, not VII, Z87 chipset it is. The only problem now is the CPU compatibility. It lists that Xeon E3-1230 V3 is supported, but not the 1231 i use. Any thoughts on that? 

4 minutes ago, filippalfi said:

I think you misunderstood my post completely,and yeah, fiddling around is something i can do by myself and dont mind doing it, otherwise i would get a prebuilt. 

What about the PSU?
What PSU do you have??

How old is it??

Do you have the needed connection?

PS: Why ask if you don't care about what people say??

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

What about the PSU?
What PSU do you have??

How old is it??

Do you have the needed connection?

PS: Why ask if you don't care about what people say??

PSU is 3 weeks old, 700w and 4 6+2pin PCIe connectors, plenty.

I do care about what people say regarding ths topic, not you having something against me selling MY stuff at MY prices, even tho i got it for cheaper,which is completely irrelevant for this topic. 

Just now, filippalfi said:

PSU is 3 weeks old, 700w and 4 6+2pin PCIe connectors, plenty.

So what is it exactly?!

700W looks like some crap like Thermaltake, Cooler Master Master Watt Lite or something liket hat.

Just now, filippalfi said:

I do care about what people say regarding ths topic, not you having something against me selling MY stuff at MY prices, even tho i got it for cheaper,which is completely irrelevant for this topic. 

Its still not a good idea, because look up µStuttering SLI

Because modern Games use more than 4GiB VRAM easily and that cost performance. So much that the second GPU is of no value. Because the framerate drops and the frame times are shit -> you feel stuttering.

So you're wasting money right now for nothing...

So in the end you're selling that stuff somewhere that some good guy sold you for cheap, so that you do what I said in the first posting -> getting a new, better Card with 8GiB VRAM.

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

So what is it exactly?!

700W looks like some crap like Thermaltake, Cooler Master Master Watt Lite or something liket hat.

Its still not a good idea, because look up µStuttering SLI

Because modern Games use more than 4GiB VRAM easily and that cost performance. So much that the second GPU is of no value. Because the framerate drops and the frame times are shit -> you feel stuttering.

So you're wasting money right now for nothing...

So in the end you're selling that stuff somewhere that some good guy sold you for cheap, so that you do what I said in the first posting -> getting a new, better Card with 8GiB VRAM.

FSP Hyper 700W 80+,is it crap or no,i don't know,works fine and has all the connections I need.

Like I said,i am happy with my rig,and if get the chance for upgrading it for good price,i will go for it,i cant be worse than It is,in the worst case SLI will not work,but I do get other stuff I actually WANT,which is 4 ram slots,more USB ports,front USB 3 connection etc... So its not just me wanting to have 2 980s and be "the man". 

And also,what if I sold some stuff way underpriced to that guy and now he sells some stuff to me? Does that make me a good guy also? Holy crap man,dont jump the conclusions.

Even if there are no improvements at all,i will still be happy that I managed to do it,because I like doing this,same way I like my cars,my job as a chef etc.. Doesn't really matter how much it costs,this just makes it better. And even if I sell my stuff down the road,wtf is wrong with that?

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's so yesteryear...

Newer games are taking way more VRAM than that oldie...

Black Ops 3 is already 3 years old, going towards the 4th...

Meant black ops 4. They use the same about of vram anyway. Some people still play old games btw. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz