Mystery Laptop, but it's super cheap.

Bitter

So I've been desiring a cheap laptop for work, doesn't need to be super fast just not 100% crap. I see this pop up in my email for $149 and free shipping, but like anything I may buy I try to do some research first. I can find NOTHING about this laptop anywhere, not even a manufacturer website! My plan would be to dump Windows and toss on Xubuntu or some other light weight *buntu and use it just for simple web browsing, youtube videos, and other work related tasks. However I can't even find out if the RAM is soldered on (I'm sure it is), or what CPU it has. I seem to recall Linux and some Atom platforms not being too friendly, one or more of the Trail series is what I recall. Should I bother or not?

https://www.frys.com/product/9696623?nearbyStoreName=false&site=tueemail010119

I'm probably better off in the used market or just using my N570 based Acer Assfire One, but that's just a bit too tiny to be comfortable to use and it supposedly maxes at 2GB of RAM, which is my second question. Does the N570 really only take 2GB of RAM? I have a D525 based Atom system that currently has and is using a full 8GB of RAM despite Intel literature stating it can use only 4GB. I can swap a stick over to test but taking apart that system to get to the RAM can be a bit of a chore.

2GB of memory so it's almost worthless, even at $249. How about an HP Stream 11?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

It's $149, as I mentioned in the second sentence. A light *buntu will run OK with 2GB of RAM but it's not ideal. The Stream 11 is or nearly is the same size as the uncomfortable to use Acer Aspire1 N570 system I have currently. If the N570 based Acer wasn't so tiny it would work out OK, but it's difficult to type on the keyboard and the screen being so small makes viewing pages of text or technical diagrams more difficult. 14" is about as small as I think I can comfortably use.

My issue is, I can't find any actual specs on this particular laptop, like which Atom system it uses, 1.4Ghz 4 core Atom is pretty vague, I highly doubt it's an x5 series since they all turbo and any seller is going to advertise that turbo speed not the base speed. The x3 series are the wrong clock speed. I'm coming up bupkiss on what it could be.

You'd have much better luck/performance with a used laptop.  

or even just spending extra money for a  "Better spec'ed" new laptop than this one.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

I think that's what I'll do, I found an Inspiron 14z I'm going to try to low-ball offer on that's got 0 bids and ends in 10 hours, contacted the seller for the service tag number or serial number so I can check the exact configuration with the Dell website so I can make a fair but low offer on it. Only naggle is he states that the hard drive doesn't stay put but that it could just be a loose screw. Nothing I can't fix with some double sided mounting tape or whatever, I'll be chucking the 500GB platters for a cheap SSD anyway, I don't got time to wait when I need a torque spec!

Well what the f@#k, seller cancelled my order with no reason!?! Can they even do that?