Why is Witcher 3 so overrated?

MyName13

It's impossible not to notice the hype surrounding this game, people made it sound like the best game ever made.Everyone keeps mentioning attention to details and yet the game has very few NPCs that are reused in most quests.Every quest is just doing some boring jobs (I don't remember this being an issue in TES Skyrim).I have a theory that all this hype was created by bots in order to sell the game, does anyone else think the same?

The game is great with an amazing storyline. All the quests are in line with the "job" of being a Witcher, not necessarily to advance the game or story. Basically they are mercinaries for hire and go around to the villages taking the jobs and getting paid for it and to slay monsters. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

The game is great with an amazing storyline.

Interesting, I've heard the opposite a couple of times.I can't say that the story is great because it's just chasing someone without any progress.Just like Mario, go to place A, she's not there, go to place B, she's not there, repeat.

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

Interesting, I've heard the opposite a couple of times.I can't say that the story is great because it's just chasing someone without any progress.Just like Mario, go to place A, she's not there, go to place B, she's not there, repeat.

but if you actually played through the story, you learn new bits of information and clues on her wear abouts and work with other friends and frenemies to eventually find her. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

And from the sounds of it, you're basing your information off others experiences, not your own playing it. its a highly regarded game for it story and game play... as the old saying goes.. dont knock it until you've tried it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Spoiler

Also you go to place A, she's not there, but you help someone who is, then you go to place B, get mixed up with the underworld, help murder a king...

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

6 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Just like Mario, go to place A, she's not there, go to place B, she's not there, repeat.

If you are going to be that extreme with comparisons, you can name any game and it can be reduced to such simplistic summary. Literally any game.

The fact that you mentioned that Skyrim didn't have such problems kind of makes you lose any kind of credibility on the issue.

The only thing bad in Witcher 3 that I can think of is those small miniquests where you find a map on a body and get to look for hidden stashes. Too many of them and make the game map too crowded. I've heard that there is an excellent mod that gets rid of those but to compensate you get more gold for contracts.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Why is OP's opinion so overrated?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Why is OP's opinion so overrated?

not so much overrated, but from his talk, sounds like hes never actually played the game to experience it themselves and make an informed opinion on something rather than others. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

not so much overrated, but from his talk, sounds like hes never actually played the game to experience it themselves and make an informed opinion on something rather than others. 

Well, yeah. Obviously, tastes vary and I wouldn't expect everyone in the whole world to care for W3, like e.g. my boyfriend doesn't really seem interested, but none of OP's comments had any substance to them -- all I see are extreme simplifications and conjecture. Personally, I enjoyed the heck out of the game and I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming TV-show, too.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Well, yeah. Obviously, tastes vary and I wouldn't expect everyone in the whole world to care for W3, like e.g. my boyfriend doesn't really seem interested, but none of OP's comments had any substance to them -- all I see are extreme simplifications and conjecture. Personally, I enjoyed the heck out of the game and I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming TV-show, too.

Yep, same. I love the game and feel its probably one of the best story games out there available. It has the power to elicit emotions which is what you want. I am interested to see how the tv show comes out too. Its not going to be related to the game, but the books, so should be interesting. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

And from the sounds of it, you're basing your information off others experiences, not your own playing it. its a highly regarded game for it story and game play... as the old saying goes.. dont knock it until you've tried it. 

I did play it.I also played first two Witchers and realised that they were far worse (Witcher 1 is one of the worst games I've ever played).The combat isn't interesting either, slash-dodge-slash-dodge.

11 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

If you are going to be that extreme with comparisons, you can name any game and it can be reduced to such simplistic summary. Literally any game.

How would you simplify Subnautica and Deus ex 1/  HR?What's wrong with Skyrim?

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yep, same. I love the game and feel its probably one of the best story games out there available. It has the power to elicit emotions which is what you want. I am interested to see how the tv show comes out too. Its not going to be related to the game, but the books, so should be interesting. 

Personally, I don't like the casting; especially the guy who played Superman just doesn't have the kind of fit for Geralt, IMHO (And he's not nearly as smexy as Geralt is in-game. I mean, damn, Geralt just oozes sex-appeal in-game!) I wish they'd have gone with a less-known actor. What little I've read about the people behind the script, though, seems promising, and I am adult enough to be able to ignore the casting and enjoy the story, if it feels good, so the casting is only going to me a minor annoyance for me, not a problem per se.

What's wrong with Skyrim?

Skyrim can be reduced in the exact same way as you reduced Witcher: you just run around killing stuff, increasing your power until you get to kill the big boss. Doesn't sound much fun when described like that, does it?

Extreme simplifications like that are dishonest and misleading and just make you look stupid.

How would you simplify Subnautica and Deus ex 1/  HR?What's wrong with Skyrim?

IDK, haven't played those games so I can't say.

Skyrim is an excellent game but it's totally different experience than Witcher. It's a sandbox, it's plot is very simple, interactions with NPC are shallow, many quests are mediocre at best. 90% of the fun you get from the game is being able to create your own character and explore the world. In W3 you will always be this particular Geralt but in return, the quests on average are at least one level above Skyrim.

Complaining about Witcher 3 is fine, it can't be the right fit for everyone. Complaining about Witcher's NPC and quests while praising Skyrim on the other hand is something else entirely.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Just now, Lathlaer said:

Complaining about Witcher 3 is fine, it can't be the right fit for everyone. Complaining about Witcher's NPC and quests while praising Skyrim on the other hand is something else entirely.

I didn't praise Skyrim and I complained about Witcher 3 not being what everyone else tells it is("attention to detail" - you see the same NPCs in most quests).

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Skyrim can be reduced in the exact same way as you reduced Witcher: you just run around killing stuff, increasing your power until you get to kill the big boss. Doesn't sound much fun when described like that, does it?

Extreme simplifications like that are dishonest and misleading and just make you look stupid.

Except Skyrim didn't even have a story (at least a decent one) and it was still better (at least to me) while this "exceptional" story in Witcher 3 is just about chasing someone and doing uninteresting quests.That doesn't sound like a game everyone hypes so much.

14 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Deus ex 1/  HR?

You are looking for a girl. You go place A, she's not there, you go place B, she's not there, do I need to continue?

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

why should anyone care that you like/dont like a game

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Except Skyrim didn't even have a story (at least a decent one) and it was still better (at least to me) while this "exceptional" story in Witcher 3 is just about chasing someone and doing uninteresting quests.That doesn't sound like a game everyone hypes so much.

I'll give you a hint: those are all your opinions and they don't matter. The vast majority of gamers clearly do find the quests interesting and the story a great one to go through. Also, like I said, the way you completely ignore all nuance in the game just makes you look like a moron and I won't bother wasting any more of my time on you after this reply.

15 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

You are looking for a girl. You go place A, she's not there, you go place B, she's not there, do I need to continue?

You're not.She's considered dead.

14 minutes ago, Neftex said:

why should anyone care that you like/dont like a game

Nobody shouldn't, you have clearly missed the point of my first question.

48 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

It's impossible not to notice the hype surrounding this game, people made it sound like the best game ever made.Everyone keeps mentioning attention to details and yet the game has very few NPCs that are reused in most quests.Every quest is just doing some boring jobs (I don't remember this being an issue in TES Skyrim).I have a theory that all this hype was created by bots in order to sell the game, does anyone else think the same?

personally i went into this game not knowing anything other than it was Game Of The Year and it had 10/10 on Steam, i didn't know it had such strong followers and all that craze, and i didn't play it at release, first time i played it (not sure when) i completely hated it, and i uninstalled the game because i wasn't interested, turns out it was only the tutorial area.

second time i've played it in 2017 or something, decided i should push through it maybe the game gets better, and oh boy... the game just keeps on giving and giving and giving, it was the best experience i've had in a game in such a long time, immediately after i finished it, it became my #1 favorite game, and as for the side quests and such, im the kind of person that REALLY despises side quests because they have no purpose and they're repetitive, but in Witcher 3 i almost finished them all because they were very interesting.

maybe the game isn't your cup of tea, that's understandable, but it's no mistake that this game is praised so much.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

You're not.She's considered dead.

Sure.

The HUMBLE Computer:

Just now, MyName13 said:

Nobody shouldn't, you have clearly missed the point of my first question.

did i? you shit all over a game other people liked and it sold millions of copies without any real outcry of it being bad.

and other developers take inspiration from it

then theres also the fact its not piece of shit bethesda game which modders have to fix to be playable

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

I've never played but hated The Witcher 2, which was also very hyped. But I'm okay with other people liking it, after all I don't like Fortnite or Rocket League either, which are just as hyped if not more.