WHat is the speed limit in a 100 mbps fiber optic connection?

Suvajit Majumder

my uncle recently upgrade to a decent fiber optic connection at his home.Now he has an asus rt ac 66u router.For some reason his room is a dead spot because a lot of other people uses a lot of wi fi around in the neighborhood.Now in the other room he attached a cat 7 short piece attached to the router and then made speed test.It is giving insane amount of speeds is this speeds true? I am attaching the file for ready reference.Then if the same CAT 7 wire is being attached to a new dual bandwidth laptop from hp, it doesn't even cross the 150 Mbps mark why such difference is my main question.The all in one in the other room is also from hp.

WOW!!!

Those speeds are insane, never seen that high!!! 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Are you sure it's a 100mbps connection? Fiber can easily be gigabit speed (or more), and cat7 is made for 10 gigabit, so there's nothing impossible about this.

1. What speeds do you pay for? 100Mb/s?
2. Try seeing if there's a driver update for the HP laptop? It should easily do 1Gb/s through CAT7 though
3. You might want to remove that photo, it has your public IP on it. You want to use the share button on the upper left corner for a link to the image of the speed test (will hide your public IP)

4. No programs running in the background that might be downloading?

14 minutes ago, Constantin said:

WOW!!!

Those speeds are insane, never seen that high!!! 

10gbps exists. I don't have it, but here's a pic of someone who has:

03965f6870.png

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

thanks for the info will keep the info when posting again with speedtest results.

And uncle pays around 14.39 $ for unlimited surfing and downloads no capping of speeds or data limit either.

18 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I tested it for a few months when we were looking at new ONTs. Its nice but completely overkill.

19 hours ago, Suvo31 said:

aptop from hp, it doesn't even cross the 150 Mbps mark

CPU. A lot of laptops can still only handle 100-200mbps because their hardware is limiting them. If this is not the same for other devices than I can almost guarantee its the laptop itself. 

On 1/1/2019 at 11:49 AM, Suvo31 said:

And uncle pays around 14.39 $ for unlimited surfing and downloads no capping of speeds or data limit either.

ok, so why is your mind blown on getting higher than 100 Mbit. Like others have said, fiber can handle more than 10Gbit. I have Gigabit at home. Try a high decent desktop PC, not a laptop.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:44 AM, NunoLava1998 said:

03965f6870.png

Do you have a speedtest server in your LAN? xD

Anyway it's definitely the hardware, if that laptop is old it can't handle such speeds, but even a core duo CPU should be able at least to get more than 150

Edit: I got a bit confused, check the CPU usage in the task manager instead when you speed test

Resists urge to beat head with rubber mallet until blackout... I can't get anything over 8MEG via cell, HughesNet, or carrier pigeon where I live. DSL is dead. Wave has fiber less than 200 feet from my house but won't run into our area. The HughesNet "guaranteed 22MEG service" shows stellar satellite link but won't give me more than 8MEG at the best of times. Also in a cellular pocket and 3G is about as good as it gets. Ugh. And the long range wifi guys want a kings ransom for slug speed connection. Internet hell.

23 minutes ago, GuruOfNothing said:

Resists urge to beat head with rubber mallet until blackout... I can't get anything over 8MEG via cell, HughesNet, or carrier pigeon where I live. DSL is dead. Wave has fiber less than 200 feet from my house but won't run into our area. The HughesNet "guaranteed 22MEG service" shows stellar satellite link but won't give me more than 8MEG at the best of times. Also in a cellular pocket and 3G is about as good as it gets. Ugh. And the long range wifi guys want a kings ransom for slug speed connection. Internet hell.

you talking bout this Meg?

latest?cb=20160525031609&path-prefix=es

anyway I only get 1Mbps over DSL with FREE 56K for whenever DSL is down which is at least 3-4 times /week and for JUST $39.99! killer deal if you ask me.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB