PC Autoshutdown due temperatures

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
16 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

So you think that the temperature of the CPU and GPU isn't the issue, but the power supply is? I'll probably upgrade it, but why would the power supply be the issue? The PC works fine for the first 10 minutes or so on high load, and then shuts down. I would've thought it keeps slowly heating up then crashing. I'm not really huge on computers, so I'm not quite sure how I plugged it in correctly, but it works just fine... 

It's not going to be a temperature issue

53 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

When i play games on ultra settings, my frames are amazing, my GPU reaches 60-70 degrees celsius, CPU around 60.

Those temperatures are normal and definitely would not cause the system to shut down. CPU will only start to throttle itself at around 100°C, and it's only if it keeps rising beyond that it will shut down to protect itself.

If you open up the side panel of the case you should be able to see if there are any power connectors plugged in to the graphics card or not. If you're unsure, take a photo of the inside of the case and post it here and we can have a look at it and see what's going on. It's possible that you're using a molex to 6pin PCIe connector to power the graphics card, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Your power supply is not compatible with your system and it needs to be replaced. What country are you in and what's your budget? We can help you find something more suitable for your system.

Hello!

I've upgraded my rig recently, now I'm experiencing overheating issues (atleast that's what i believe).

Nothing has been overclocked.

Windows 10, 64 bit

SL-500A power supply (500 Watt output)

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

NVIDIA 1060 3GB

ASRock A320M-HDV

Predator Z1 (2560 x 1440)

When i play games on ultra settings, my frames are amazing, my GPU reaches 60-70 degrees celsius, CPU around 60. The PC shuts down after about 10 minutes of high load, the reason of shutdown being: Event ID 41, Source - Kernel Power. I've updated my graphics card and BIOS settings to the latest ones, I've cleaned and re-applied the thermal paste, cleaned the fans.

I'm using two monitors, the second one being 1440 x 900

Here's a benchmark of my PC

While updating the BIOS, I noticed that the motherboard can shut itself off automatically, to prevent damage. I haven't unchecked it yet, though I'm considering trying it.

23 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

SL-500A power supply (500 Watt output)

Probably the $5 power supply.

https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/sl-500

25 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

NVIDIA 1060 3GB

How are you powering this when your power supply does not have any PCIe power connectors? There should be a 6pin power connector on the side/front of the graphics card where a cable from the PSU should be plugged in to. The PSU you listed does not have any PCIe connectors so you would be unable to power the card properly.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Probably the $5 power supply.

https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/sl-500

How are you powering this when your power supply does not have any PCIe power connectors? There should be a 6pin power connector on the side/front of the graphics card where a cable from the PSU should be plugged in to. The PSU you listed does not have any PCIe connectors so you would be unable to power the card properly.

Thanks for the reply, Spotty!

So you think that the temperature of the CPU and GPU isn't the issue, but the power supply is? I'll probably upgrade it, but why would the power supply be the issue? The PC works fine for the first 10 minutes or so on high load, and then shuts down. I would've thought it keeps slowly heating up then crashing. I'm not really huge on computers, so I'm not quite sure how I plugged it in correctly, but it works just fine...

16 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

53 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

When i play games on ultra settings, my frames are amazing, my GPU reaches 60-70 degrees celsius, CPU around 60.

Those temperatures are normal and definitely would not cause the system to shut down. CPU will only start to throttle itself at around 100°C, and it's only if it keeps rising beyond that it will shut down to protect itself.

If you open up the side panel of the case you should be able to see if there are any power connectors plugged in to the graphics card or not. If you're unsure, take a photo of the inside of the case and post it here and we can have a look at it and see what's going on. It's possible that you're using a molex to 6pin PCIe connector to power the graphics card, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Your power supply is not compatible with your system and it needs to be replaced. What country are you in and what's your budget? We can help you find something more suitable for your system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Glad that it's not a temperature issue, was already planning to purchase some beefier cooler. If you're interested, i can take a couple of photos for you, but that doesn't worry me, since it's working just fine. Since you're going as far as suggesting me something, I live in Latvia, so I can get deliveries from all over Europe. The budget is around 100 euros, since I'm not planning to upgrade my system any time soon, I don't want to spend too much money on it. I have an acquaintance who works in a warehouse, so if you'd throw me a couple of ideas, we should be able to find it in storage. Thanks a lot for your help, you replied super quickly and you're going the extra mile, surprised that the linus forum is so active!

If you're in Europe then check to see if the Be Quiet Pure Power 10/Pure Power 11 400W PSU is available and how much it costs. It costs about 50-60 Euros in Germany, but cost might be a little higher in Latvia.

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you're in Europe then check to see if the Be Quiet Pure Power 10/Pure Power 11 400W PSU is available and how much it costs. It costs about 50-60 Euros in Germany, but cost might be a little higher in Latvia.

Alright, I'll speak to him later about these two suggestions, I'll see what he offers as well. Is the Pure Power 11 going to be good enough? It only has 400W. I've noticed you have an Acer Predator monitor, how is it working out for you? My Predator Z1 has an odd glitch/feature - when I'm watching a YouTube video, or a movie using VLC, the screen turns on and off for a second or two, when i move my mouse. During gaming, while watching movies without moving my mouse it works flawlessly.

Just now, MiiaBestLamia said:

Alright, I'll speak to him later about these two suggestions, I'll see what he offers as well. Is the Pure Power 11 going to be good enough? It only has 400W. I've noticed you have an Acer Predator monitor, how is it working out for you? My Predator Z1 has an odd glitch/feature - when I'm watching a YouTube video, or a movie using VLC, the screen turns on and off for a second or two, when i move my mouse. During gaming, while watching movies without moving my mouse it works flawlessly.

400W is fine for your Ryzen 2600X + GTX 1060 3GB. Your CPU will use less than 100W and your graphics card around 120W. Everything all up maybe 200-250W under load with overclocking.
It's worth noting that the "500W" Inter-Tech SL-500A PSU you currently have only claims 360W on the 12V rail, and even then I would be surprised if those claims are true. So your current unit isn't really what we would consider a 500W unit. The wattage isn't your issue, it's the poor quality of the unit and the lack of PCIe connectors.

Also that doesn't sound like an issue with the monitor itself. Since it happens when you move the mouse it sounds more like a system issue, most likely graphics card related.

Can you post those photos of the inside of the system?
I'm actually curious about which model GTX 1060 you have. Do you know the manufacturer and model name? Where did you buy it from?

42 minutes ago, Spotty said:

400W is fine for your Ryzen 2600X + GTX 1060 3GB. Your CPU will use less than 100W and your graphics card around 120W. Everything all up maybe 200-250W under load with overclocking.
It's worth noting that the "500W" Inter-Tech SL-500A PSU you currently have only claims 360W on the 12V rail, and even then I would be surprised if those claims are true. So your current unit isn't really what we would consider a 500W unit. The wattage isn't your issue, it's the poor quality of the unit and the lack of PCIe connectors.

Also that doesn't sound like an issue with the monitor itself. Since it happens when you move the mouse it sounds more like a system issue, most likely graphics card related.

Can you post those photos of the inside of the system?
I'm actually curious about which model GTX 1060 you have. Do you know the manufacturer and model name? Where did you buy it from?

Here's the link

If you need more, just tell me what exactly interests you. Seems like it's using an adapter of sorts, not that i really know that.

34 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

Here's the link

If you need more, just tell me what exactly interests you. Seems like it's using an adapter of sorts, not that i really know that.

Yeah, it's using Molex to 6pin adapters to power the GPU. Replace the PSU with a good quality unit and it should stop the unexpected shut downs, if by chance you still have issues after replacing the PSU we can go from there and look at other things but the unit needs replacing first regardless.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yeah, it's using Molex to 6pin adapters to power the GPU. Replace the PSU with a good quality unit and it should stop the unexpected shut downs, if by chance you still have issues after replacing the PSU we can go from there and look at other things but the unit needs replacing first regardless.

Great, thank you very much for the help, felt like i was using customer service or something, haven't had someone help me with a question that well... ever, i think.