Vpn on router vs. on device

Java

Hello! I'm in the market for a new router and I was wondering if I should get a router that supports DD-WRT; or opt to just install the vpn on my devices.  Is there any major advantages/disadvantages to either option?

Thanks for reading, and happy new year!

"Hyper Demon" Build: 

Case: NZXT H440 Hyper Beast.  CPU: AMD R9 3900x (cooled by a KrakeX62).  GPU: AMD XFX RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black.  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 32GB ram @3600mhz.  Mobo: Asus Crosshair VI hero. PSU: Corsair RM850x.  Boot drive: Samsung 960 evo 500gb nvme ssd.  Game storage: Samsung 860 evo 1TB SATA SSD.  Bulk storage: WD Black 2TB.  

What do you plan on using the VPN for?

Anyway, I would never use a VPN server on my router. I'd have a separate device for it. I actually have my own Cisco ASA device that allows me to have 25 connections to my network. While my setup can get very complicated, expensive, it can be very complicated for the normal user.

I see no advantages of having VPN set on a router. Disadvantages such as having basic VPN settings such as PPTP which is not secure. Uses very weak encryption. 

I'd recommend getting a small affordable PC or even. A Raspberry Pi for that matter to run OpenVpN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

10 hours ago, Java said:

Hello! I'm in the market for a new router and I was wondering if I should get a router that supports DD-WRT; or opt to just install the vpn on my devices.  Is there any major advantages/disadvantages to either option?

Thanks for reading, and happy new year!

As someone who has a router that supports VPN and explored this option with PIA:

A) PIA specifically recommends using it on your devices because they have greater processing power compared to the router

B) never managed to get it to work anyway

C) PIA (AFAIK most VPNs) doesn't work with MS Office 365, Outlook and OneDrive, which show up as having "no connection to the internet" while the VPN is on, preventing access to files on OneDrive and emails. Netflix also refuses to play with VPN. On the device (desktop), it's just a matter of a click. Routers are typically more complicated.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

9 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

What do you plan on using the VPN for?

Anyway, I would never use a VPN server on my router. I'd have a separate device for it. I actually have my own Cisco ASA device that allows me to have 25 connections to my network. While my setup can get very complicated, expensive, it can be very complicated for the normal user.

I see no advantages of having VPN set on a router. Disadvantages such as having basic VPN settings such as PPTP which is not secure. Uses very weak encryption. 

I'd recommend getting a small affordable PC or even. A Raspberry Pi for that matter to run OpenVpN

The VPN is for privacy mostly, I'd have it connected to one of Nordvpn's servers.  I just thought it'd be easier to set up on a router rather than setting up the app on my devices.

3 hours ago, vojta.pokorny said:

As someone who has a router that supports VPN and explored this option with PIA:

A) PIA specifically recommends using it on your devices because they have greater processing power compared to the router

B) never managed to get it to work anyway

C) PIA (AFAIK most VPNs) doesn't work with MS Office 365, Outlook and OneDrive, which show up as having "no connection to the internet" while the VPN is on, preventing access to files on OneDrive and emails. Netflix also refuses to play with VPN. On the device (desktop), it's just a matter of a click. Routers are typically more complicated.

Yeah, I figured it'd run better on devices since a router's processor could have trouble keeping up.  As far as having issues connecting to Onedrive and Outlook, my VPN provider worked fine with those apps once I turned off 'cyber sec' (basically blocks malicious websites).  Idunno if PIA has something like that, but i'd recommend turning that off.

"Hyper Demon" Build: 

Case: NZXT H440 Hyper Beast.  CPU: AMD R9 3900x (cooled by a KrakeX62).  GPU: AMD XFX RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black.  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 32GB ram @3600mhz.  Mobo: Asus Crosshair VI hero. PSU: Corsair RM850x.  Boot drive: Samsung 960 evo 500gb nvme ssd.  Game storage: Samsung 860 evo 1TB SATA SSD.  Bulk storage: WD Black 2TB.