Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Limitations Based Question for Windows Movie Maker

I have installed a copy of Windows Movie Maker from Microsoft before they discontinued it, although I think that there may be some limits on advanced editing using their software. I used it for many video projects before without any issues although I wanted to go into more advanced editing and add a countdown timer to a video project which I was working on and I was not sure on how to add a timer, from what I know I think that there is not a function integrated to add timers or any other way then creating a caption every second on the timeline. If anyone knows how to get a timer added to a Windows Movie Maker project then please let me know. I have Windows 10, so I tried using the photos based movie maker although it did not work out because I need to be able to add video files and not just pictures to projects which I am working on. Please let me know how I would accomplish this besides with the adding a caption every second which is going to be tedious for countdowns which are like hours or many minutes, if at all possible.

Thank you in advance,   @Boomwebsearch

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Just bootleg Premier like everyone else. 

Davinci Resolve has a free version as well if you want legit 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Just bootleg Premier like everyone else. 

Davinci Resolve has a free version as well if you want legit 

Thanks for the reply, I can't use Premier because it costs way too much for my budget and it does not meet with my PC's specifications at minimum. I tried installing Davinci Resolve today (version 15.2.2) and it would not work because it said I did not have GPU installed and that it needed one (issue with minimum specs for the system). Note that this is not a very powerful machine, so since I can't run software such as those which you mentioned, I use Windows Movie Maker.

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Thanks for the reply, I can't use Premier because it costs way too much for my budget and it does not meet with my PC's specifications at minimum. I tried installing Davinci Resolve today (version 15.2.2) and it would not work because it said I did not have GPU installed and that it needed one (issue with minimum specs for the system). Note that this is not a very powerful machine, so since I can't run software such as those which you mentioned, I use Windows Movie Maker.

specs? Maybe we can find something that works for you 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

39 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

specs? Maybe we can find something that works for you 

I have a pre-built machine from HP it is the elite 8000 small form factor PC with the following listed specifications (some were upgraded and the following contains my current PC with the upgraded values of RAM and HDD storage:

- Intel Core 2 Duo e7500

-1TB Segate branded hard drive

-8GB of RAM

- 240 watt PSU which came with the machine and was not changed out

*I know that this system seems quite old, although I bought it around the end of last year for about 190 USD and that is the price I paid with them upgrading the RAM and hard drive (which I paid extra for) plus it was a refurbished machine, also. Now I realize that it may have been a really bad purchase considering the other options which are out there and offer a lot better performance. I also can't really add a GPU because the build is a small form factor variant. Have talked to some people at Best Buy about GPU upgrades and they have said that you are going to have a hard time to get it to fit within the machine and the power supply limitations are additionally going to needed to be considered. 

@Boomwebsearch 

6 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

- Intel Core 2 Duo e7500

Yeah, Resolve is nope. It requires 1.5Gb video memory to work properly. 1gb if you are only running Resolve.

There's Hitfilm Express, another free video editor. But I haven't used that further as its so badly made. Doesn't scale well when using custom dpi settings. Then there's Blender VSE, but it has quite a learning curve, even if you would have experience from Premier and likes.

Its been a while since I edited with MovieMaker. I think remembering that you can change length of text elements. So having 1s long text elements with diminishing numbers is possible. One way would be using some online tool, or smartphone is you have one, to create video clip with timer. With WMM limitations, this would mean no overlay of two video's (correct me if I'm wrong).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Its been a while since I edited with MovieMaker. I think remembering that you can change length of text elements. So having 1s long text elements with diminishing numbers is possible. One way would be using some online tool, or smartphone is you have one, to create video clip with timer. With WMM limitations, this would mean no overlay of two video's (correct me if I'm wrong).

Okay, I did some research and finally found and decided on changing to a different software which some say is similar to Premier and supports advanced options including overlaying objects on screen. I have went through the many features within the application and I could not find the one which would let me overlay the timer from a video. This is really a lot more advanced than Windows Movie Maker, although I don't want to go and spend the time and money into learning how to use this fully without first knowing that it is not going to be very limited. If anyone happens to have had any experience with this software then please let me know if it works well and what the limitations are and if they would prevent the user from making a project like this where I need a timer in the video project. Also, this looks not that expensive to buy the full version at around 60 USD which is a lot more affordable than other options which I have looked at.

link to the aforementioned piece of editing software for reference:     https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/

@Boomwebsearch 

7 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Okay, I did some research and finally found and decided on changing to a different software which some say is similar to Premier and supports advanced options including overlaying objects on screen. I have went through the many features within the application and I could not find the one which would let me overlay the timer from a video. This is really a lot more advanced than Windows Movie Maker, although I don't want to go and spend the time and money into learning how to use this fully without first knowing that it is not going to be very limited. If anyone happens to have had any experience with this software then please let me know if it works well and what the limitations are and if they would prevent the user from making a project like this where I need a timer in the video project. Also, this looks not that expensive to buy the full version at around 60 USD which is a lot more affordable than other options which I have looked at.

link to the aforementioned piece of editing software for reference:     https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/

Good thing is that most video editors have very similar way to them. How to work with timeline, do cuts etc. But you should check with trial version first if its even working. System requirements say you need modern CPU (Intel Core i or MAD of same gen) and 2gb of VRAM for HD quality videos. If you edit in 240-480p, you may get things working with less.

I don't have experience on that software, but one similar, in price. If you get trial working, its probably good pick for entry-level editing. Nothing fancy, but nothing that you couldn't do with Resolve for example. Probably it has some more like effects packs and stuff like that included to make it competitive vs Hitfilm Express (which sells effects as separed package).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

But you should check with trial version first if its even working. System requirements say you need modern CPU (Intel Core i or MAD of same gen) and 2gb of VRAM for HD quality videos. If you edit in 240-480p, you may get things working with less.

I downloaded the trial version of Filmora 9 and loaded in my video project to edit. It works and it does not crash or anything like that, although the timeline scrubbing is very slow and even playing back the video with the quality set to half in playback mode (so I could see the effects I applied) ran very poorly and presented low frame rate on the video playback. I usually edit in 720p and 1080p, and after I finished the project despite of the lag, the export time were around 10-15 minutes which was very similar to what I was getting with Windows Movie Maker. I think that this processor could be upgraded to a core 2 quad version, although not sure if that would work and benefit my performance in Filmora 9. Playing around with the software, already it is not very advanced and lacks that in some parts of the program especially with the effects which Windows Movie Maker has, therefore I managed to complete the project although had to use both Windows Movie Maker and Filmora 9. Given the low cost, if there is not something else that will give better performance without a hardware upgrade, I will likely buy the full version of this software.

@Boomwebsearch 

3 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I downloaded the trial version of Filmora 9 and loaded in my video project to edit. It works and it does not crash or anything like that, although the timeline scrubbing is very slow and even playing back the video with the quality set to half in playback mode (so I could see the effects I applied) ran very poorly and presented low frame rate on the video playback. I usually edit in 720p and 1080p, and after I finished the project despite of the lag, the export time were around 10-15 minutes which was very similar to what I was getting with Windows Movie Maker. I think that this processor could be upgraded to a core 2 quad version, although not sure if that would work and benefit my performance in Filmora 9. Playing around with the software, already it is not very advanced and lacks that in some parts of the program especially with the effects which Windows Movie Maker has, therefore I managed to complete the project although had to use both Windows Movie Maker and Filmora 9. Given the low cost, if there is not something else that will give better performance without a hardware upgrade, I will likely buy the full version of this software.

Your hardware just isn't meant to edit anything in age of HD. It would be fine for 1280x1024 and lower, or 900p at max, but c2d was a thing over 10 years ago.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

41 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Your hardware just isn't meant to edit anything in age of HD. It would be fine for 1280x1024 and lower, or 900p at max, but c2d was a thing over 10 years ago.

I have been considering upgrading the processor to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 and an HP NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 although I have not yet because I am not really sure if it would benefit performance much to be worth the 57.60 USD which would be needed to have it upgraded (not including the thermal paste). I have never changed out a processor on this machine before and am not exactly sure on how HP has built this machine, I think that this uses intake fans at the front of the case and then that goes to the processor's heat-sink although not exactly sure. Also, since this is my primary system I do not want to have it damaged in an attempt to have it upgraded. Would anyone be able to let me know if this should be worth upgrading my system to and if the power supply would be able to supply this increased load from the components which are upgraded from their previous ones?

Thanks, @Boomwebsearch

@Boomwebsearch 

18 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I have been considering upgrading the processor to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 and an HP NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 although I have not yet because I am not really sure if it would benefit performance much to be worth the 57.60 USD which would be needed to have it upgraded (not including the thermal paste). I have never changed out a processor on this machine before and am not exactly sure on how HP has built this machine, I think that this uses intake fans at the front of the case and then that goes to the processor's heat-sink although not exactly sure. Also, since this is my primary system I do not want to have it damaged in an attempt to have it upgraded. Would anyone be able to let me know if this should be worth upgrading my system to and if the power supply would be able to supply this increased load from the components which are upgraded from their previous ones?

Thanks, @Boomwebsearch

CPU upgrade is fine as long as mobo supports it. This might need long googling about chipset, or motherboard model to find any info about. GPU is probably gonna be waste of money. It doesn't have enough video memory to help you at all, so better to save for real upgrade. Like card with 1gb of video memory.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv