Sensible Upgrades for my PC

Vinnny

Hello everyone,

My hardware will be posted below. I've recently been thinking about updating my CPU right now but I know doing that might change everything else. When upgrading do I need to only check the socket of my motherboard or even if the socket is the same I should change the motherboard?

I would also like to ask some advice on what's the best processor to get. Like the cheapest upgrade or a much sensible upgrade. Thank you for your time!

Motherboard MSI 7A70 (B250M-Bazooka)
CPU i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00 (4 cores)
GPU NVIDIA 1050 Ti 4gb VRAM
RAM 8gb Gigabyte

-Vinnny

3 minutes ago, Vinnny said:

I would also like to ask some advice on what's the best processor to get. Like the cheapest upgrade or a much sensible upgrade. 

A used i7 6700 or 7700 and/or 8GB of RAM.

EDIT: And if you don't have an SSD, that's the first thing you should get.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Well do you have an SSD? Does your motherboard support overclocking and if so will you get an overclockable cpus etc

On 12/31/2018 at 5:14 PM, Nolanl83 said:

Does your motherboard support overclocking and if so will you get an overclockable cpus etc

<removed> his motherboard has a B250 chipset (which doesn't support overclocking).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

17 minutes ago, Nolanl83 said:

Well do you have an SSD? Does your motherboard support overclocking and if so will you get an overclockable cpus etc

oof

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

29 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

A used i7 6700 or 7700 and/or 8GB of RAM.

EDIT: And if you don't have an SSD, that's the first thing you should get.

I've been putting this upgrade as well too long. I'll get this first then, I'm just not very knowledgeable about it. Is the cable the same for SSD?

30 minutes ago, JammyCreedog said:

The biggest impact on the speedy feel of your pc will be getting an SSD.

Alright, so this is a much higher priority for me now. :D

14 minutes ago, Finwillwin said:

Yes, as long as it is a SATA cable.

Gotcha, thanks!

And thanks to everyone who replied ^^