ASUS Q551LN laptop

jcoszb

Hello, not sure where to put this so I put it in general. 

I have an old ASUS laptop that I was hoping to increase the performance on. It was suggested to me that I increase the ram as well as overclock it. I do not have any experience with these things and was trying to find a good tutorial or help with it. 

The laptop has 8GB of ram which are two sticks of 4G DDR3-12800 RAM. I was thinking that I could replace one stick with an 8G one but am not sure if that would be beneficial. The other is soldered in, and i feel like I remember hearing somewhere that you should try and keep the sticks of ram matching?

Overclocking I know next to nothing about. I know you can do that with your cpu and your gpu but not sure about anything beyond that.

any direction on where to lookor help is much appreciated,

Thanks

Add a SSD

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

thanks for the recommendation. I apologize for not mentioning it but I did change out the hard drive to an SSD a while back

May I know the full specs of the laptop?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

• 1 month later...

sorry for the super long delay. the specs are basically the stock specs. The only difference was that my friend switched out the 1tb HDD to a 512gb ssd. and put the 1tb where the dvd drive used to be for me.

I don't recommend overclocking the memory and since you've changed the HDD for a SSD already, the also thing left to do is upgrade the CPU however it seems to me that the Q551LN CPU is soldered opposed to BGA. 

1 hour ago, bindydad123 said:

I don't recommend overclocking the memory

you can't do it in laptops

Desktop specs:

Spoiler