Okay Google... What Happened?

Tried one out today at Best Buy. It's not bad for a tablet. Much more usable as a tablet compared to, say, a Surface Pro, even with Windows in "tablet mode".

It's also sexy. I love Google's design aesthetic.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'd like a mid-range Chromebook( kind of like the Slate) to just complement my desktop PC. It can useful for editing documents(Google docs) and similar light work on the go. But, I would have a full desktop PC at home.

Does it actually run Android apps natively? Or does it require the developer to make a version of their app for it?

PS: Can I charge using both ports at the same time?

I already watched Marques' review, and was pretty shocked at ChromeOS's performance - even on a Celeron thats just too poor, for $599 you can do way better, and lag is just not excusable. 

But watching Linus' review, those hinges! Every time I saw him folding it up, its just seems flimsy and about to fall off. Can't believe anyone would give the green light on that. 

What is wrong with the audio on this one? It is all over the place, Linus sounds like he is talking from the bottom of a cup sometimes, the music is way too loud to the point of being annoying and distracting, this is not the LTT standard

How are these things the promise of whats to come?

An iPad is a cut down computer, that is easy to use for the masses. I get that, I wouldn't choose one over a laptop, but I understand why some people would.

A laptop, Macbook, etc is a fully featured portable computer with a proper clamshell design and keyboard.

I don't get what the point of mixing these two concepts are. If you want more than an iPad, you get a computer.

2 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Why are you making black bars a thing again? 16:9 exists, use it.

There are no black bars in the video. Any extra space is YouTube filling in the space that your display happens to have.

5 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

There are no black bars in the video. Any extra space is YouTube filling in the space that your display happens to have.

LTT is responsible for those black bars by choosing a bad aspect ratio.

Do chromeOS run debian apps? If so it would be a great linux distribution

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Google is taking another swing at a premium Chrome OS device with the Pixel Slate, a tablet that CAN replace your laptop. Wait... this sounds familiar...

Buy Google Pixel Slate :
On Amazon: http://geni.us/himSOKR
On Google Store: http://geni.us/hsCQawd
On Newegg: http://geni.us/c7nzWH

What if they installed Windows on this? I think something like this with a full Desktop Windows 10 would be great.

Desktop:

Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.7GHz, 8GB x 2 GSkill Ripjaws, Gigabyte Gaming B8 Motherboard, 256GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe SSD, 1.27 TB of Spanned Goodness, GTX 1050 Ti, and GT 710. Runs both macOS High Sierra and Windows 10, and Pop! OS 20.04 LTS.

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

7TB Array in Proxmox server

Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

4 hours ago, Sakkura said:

LTT is responsible for those black bars by choosing a bad aspect ratio.

Any aspect ratio is fine as long as they aren't producing a feature film.

3 hours ago, elin13 said:

What if they installed Windows on this? I think something like this with a full Desktop Windows 10 would be great.

thats called a surface go/pro

On 1/1/2019 at 12:21 PM, Sakkura said:

Agree!  So tiresome to see videos not using the whole screen. For now I use YouTube's dislike to show discontent. 

On 1/1/2019 at 2:59 AM, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Google is taking another swing at a premium Chrome OS device with the Pixel Slate, a tablet that CAN replace your laptop. Wait... this sounds familiar...

Buy Google Pixel Slate :
On Amazon: http://geni.us/himSOKR
On Google Store: http://geni.us/hsCQawd
On Newegg: http://geni.us/c7nzWH

ha i bet dat laptop can't run crysis at 4k 16x aa

Reminder to always be happy even in tough situations 🙂

54 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Agree!  So tiresome to see videos not using the whole screen. For now I use YouTube's dislike to show discontent. 

Maybe, in the future, you can use your wallet a and buy a magical monitor that can change aspect ratio. Or use the Crop option on your video card(or monitor) settings.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:17 PM, xnamkcor said:

Does it actually run Android apps natively? Or does it require the developer to make a version of their app for it?

PS: Can I charge using both ports at the same time?

It has something like an emulator to run Android apps.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:21 AM, Sakkura said:

I think that the future of entertainment is widescreen and tall displays for productivity. Though it surely will be a problem to chose the right screen.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, williamcll said:

Do chromeOS run debian apps? If so it would be a great linux distribution

It can run Linux apps.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:46 AM, karmanyaahm said:

It can run Linux apps.

I wonder why it isn't more popular then.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

I wonder why it isn't more popular then.

Because linux isn't popular, and "can" run Linux apps sounds like a very literal definition of "can" as a result of it being possible to install Linux on the device.