Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Budget PC build for university/casual gaming

Hello everyone! First time poster here. So, as the title suggests, I need some help figuring out the right pieces for a brand new build focused on both school work and casual gaming on a budget. Here's some additional info that might be useful:

• I live in Mexico and for personal reasons I'd very much rather buy all the pieces on the Amazon Mexico website (i.e., no Newegg or Amazon USA prices considered)
  • My budget is around 16K mexican pesos max (roughly 800-850 USD)
  • I'm a physics student (this will be relevant a bit later)
  • I'm planning on using only one monitor and perhaps adding an extra one in the future (not sure yet so it's not prioritary for the build)
  • I want this PC to run as many AAA games (both existing and upcoming) at 60 FPS minimum, in 1080p and at least medium settings, high if possible. I won't demand ultra settings in any game at all, it's just not necessary to me.
    • As a sub-bullet here, most of the games I tend to play are single-player titles, e.g. GTA, Darksiders, Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls; with a few multiplayers here and there like Minecraft, Overwatch, Street Fighter or League of Legends.
  • The school work I mentioned includes software like KiCad, Maple, Mathematica and Matlab. I think this is fairly light usage for the PC I'm aiming to build but I know next to nothing about the topic so I'm all ears to your opinions.
  • Some additional uses I have planned: aficionado level graphic design, video editing and music recording. Nothing too fancy, I just want to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Sony Vegas and some digital audio workstation with no performing issues and decent rendering times. (The music recording gear is NOT included within the budget, as this aspect I will cover separately).
  • The monitor is included in the budget, but it doesn't have to be one of those hyper performing, no lag, 4K displays. 1080p, as mentioned, serves me more than well.
  • An optical drive should also be included within the budget (mostly to create music CDs and some DVDs for my parents who are not very fond of modern tech).
  • The case I'm considering right now is the Corsair Spec 02, as it is an ATX case which features two 5.25" bays, three 3.5" bays and two 2.5" bays according to Corsair's official website.
    • I'm planning to include two SSDs and one HDD. I will use one SSD to install Windows 10 and the other one to mess around with Linux distros. The purpose of the HDD is solely to keep my files and games in it.
  • No fancy LED stuff is required.
  • I'm not contemplating overclocking but if it is a viable option, please let me know and suggest some proper thermal solution.

Some people have told me that pretty much any Ryzen 5 1st gen and a 1050TI would fit me perfectly, but as I said, I have no clue about PC parts and I don't want to get neither an overkill setup nor choose underperforming components or creating bottlenecks between them. A friend of mine suggested a build like this:

• B350 AM4 ATX MOBO
  • Ryzen 5 1400 or 1500X
  • 8 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM
  • GTX 1050 TI
  • 500 W PSU

That'd be it. Also, if I'm asking too much for the budget I have in mind, please let me know so I don't have you guys wasting your time. Thank you all in advance!

14 minutes ago, shaddapmfk said:
  • B350 AM4 ATX MOBO
  • Ryzen 5 1400 or 1500X
  • 8 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM
  • GTX 1050 TI
  • 500 W PSU

It's a good start, here's a few more specific pointers:

You'll want an SSD. When it comes to a modern PC, there's no reason to stick with an old mechanical hard drive.

The "500w PSU" can be many different things, you should check out the PSU tier list on our forum here in the "cases and power supplies" section, it'll help you find a quality unit. Don't get anything below tier 4, tier 3 if you can help it.

When it comes to graphics cards, don't get an MSI armor cooler, they're real crap 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19k is ok, or not? (Includes absolutely everything however)

image.png.674407104b78d5ae5fafa4e17dd087de.png

(Ryzen 5 1400, RX 570, two A400 SSDs, one 240gb and the other 120gb, one 1TB HDD, 1080p monitor, corsair cx450 power supply, corsair 100r atx case, asrock b450m pro4. a pretty decent build overall.)

Main PC:  MacBook Air (M1, 2020), 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage; running macOS, but waiting for Linux to be ported to the M1

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

19k is ok, or not? (Includes absolutely everything however)

image.png.674407104b78d5ae5fafa4e17dd087de.png

(Ryzen 5 1400, RX 570, two A400 SSDs, one 240gb and the other 120gb, one 1TB HDD, 1080p monitor, corsair cx450 power supply, corsair 100r atx case, asrock b450m pro4. a pretty decent build overall.)

It's pretty good, but there's no point in 2 SSD, a single 500GB would be nice instead. Also, slow ram isna bummer for 2nd gen Ryzen, but OC is easy.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It's pretty good, but there's no point in 2 SSD, a single 500GB would be nice instead.

I'm planning to include two SSDs and one HDD. I will use one SSD to install Windows 10 and the other one to mess around with Linux distros. The purpose of the HDD is solely to keep my files and games in it.

Also, it actually costs more to get a 500GB SSD somehow

Main PC:  MacBook Air (M1, 2020), 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage; running macOS, but waiting for Linux to be ported to the M1

10 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Also, it actually costs more to get a 500GB SSD somehow

That's interesting. If the 500GB were more cost effective (which it usually is) I'd just recommend two partitions, and they'd be of custom size too. @shaddapmfk something to consider if you find a deal on a 500GB SSD.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6: