Are laptop cooling pad effective

My laptop gets too hot even during light gaming sessions. So laptop cooling pads are of any use??? Also I am noob in this kind of stuff so be gentle

Cooling pads do help but if your laptop is getting hotter than expected you may need to take it apart and re-apply thermal paste on the component getting hot.

-KuJoe

In short: No (I tried before, only the expensive ones work a bit)

Better do repaste and undervolt

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Laptop coolers don't really do anything. Blowing air on the chassis doesn't really help because the chassis isn't quite in good contact with the heat sink, plus it would only really help if it was made of metal. And if the laptop cooler isn't forcing more air in than the laptop's fans can suck, then it's not going to help.

i have an asus gl702vs and it get extremely hot. when playing rocket league at 250 it will throttle down to 150-220 bouncing around.

With my cheap cooler i have underneath it it does help it, stay well above 200.

It definitely isn't a permanent fix but it does help me a lot.

I also only spent like 20 $?

An easy, free yet effective trick to lower some temps in a laptop is to lift up the rear of the laptop by something that is thin but hard enough (eg notepad file)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Laptop coolers only work when the fans are blowing air into the laptop's intake vents or if the laptop utilizes passive cooling via its chassis.

Like my GL502VM. With a cooler, temperatures are only marginally better. The real issue is the combination of restrictive intakes combined with mediocre thermal paste 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

20 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

it would only really help if it was made of metal.

Actually some are made out of metal and they do help somehow by heat conduction.

As previously mentioned, lifting the laptop also helps with the airflow. I would also recommend taking apart to clean the fan as dust limits the airflow. You also might want to repaste it or even undervolt the CPU.

You also might want to check this review. As you can see, it does help but not a lot.