Should i upgrade Superhub 3 (Virgin Media)

RobertS
In the UK, there is a network provider (virgin media) that gives the highest upload and download speeds in my area, however provides one of the worst routers (https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/virgin-media-super-hub-3). I am wondering if i replaced the router with something like the Nighthawk D7000 (https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/netgear-nighthawk-d7000-wifi-modem-router-ac-1900-dual-band-10137115-pdt.html) how much of a difference it would actually make

i know next to nothing about networking

none.you pay for what speed you get. 

pay more get faster.

the way it is with BT (wankers) at least

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

4 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:
In the UK, there is a network provider (virgin media) that gives the highest upload and download speeds in my area, however provides one of the worst routers (https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/virgin-media-super-hub-3). I am wondering if i replaced the router with something like the Nighthawk D7000 (https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/netgear-nighthawk-d7000-wifi-modem-router-ac-1900-dual-band-10137115-pdt.html) how much of a difference it would actually make

i know next to nothing about networking

I take it it's your Wi-Fi coverage you're having issues with?

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

2 minutes ago, wANKER said:

I take it it's your Wi-Fi coverage you're having issues with? 

Yes, mainly however there is also high latency most of the time

4 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:

Yes, mainly however there is also high latency most of the time

Yeah. I've been with VM. Their Routers are total garbage.. I'd get a WiFi AP to increase your WiFi coverage.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I'd get a WiFi AP

that still wont help with the latency though.  The latency is even high when using ethernet

Just now, RMSONE01634 said:

that still wont help with the latency though.  The latency is even high when using ethernet

Can you do a speedtest and share the results?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

the ping doesnt show on the speedtest, but in games its usually 50-60ms

image.png.6ec1708b44a75131e6b1ec0e250d0aa3.png

Edited by RMSONE01634
Added ping from CS GO

I used to have VM in the past and had a 3rd party router and an older SuperHub set to modem only, but it didn't make a huge diffrence with the connection itself, although it helped when there were lot of devices connected to the home network, the older SuperHub had problems with wifi when there were more than 5-6 devices connected, even if only one was actually using the network. Don't know how horribly bad is the SH3, I was lucky enough not to have to test it.

50-60ms in-game isn't that bad (in Virgin at least :p).

24 minutes ago, Arttu89 said:

50-60ms in-game isn't that bad (in Virgin at least :p).

Who are you with now and what ping do you get?

29 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:

Who are you with now and what ping do you get?

Right now with TalkTalk, they run on BTs lines. They don't offer the speeds that Virgin offers, but the connections been pretty solid ever since it was installed (roughly 3 years now I think).

Here's results from my Speedtest:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7920936714 - laptop over wifi (the wifi on the laptop ain't the best)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7920938274 - PC wired

If I remember correctly the contract states 38Mb connection, so the speeds we're getting are about right most of the time, on a good day they go around the 40Mb mark. On Virgin we use to have 100Mb and I can definetely feel the speed diffrence when trying to download something large, but overall I'd say the experience with TalkTalk is more solid than it was with VM. TalkTalks router doesn't look like it's anything special, the wifi coverage from it isn't spectacular, so I'm running a separate router for downstairs anyway, but I've definetely had a lot less problems with it than I had with the SuperHub.

I don't play CS: GO myself so can't tell what my latency there is, but in WoW it's around the 20ms mark similar to the speed test.

Edit:

I forgot to mention, on Virgin my latency (in WoW) used to be usually around the 40ms mark from what I remember with some spiking to 70-80ms, but that was roughly 3 years ago so difficult to say if they got better or worse in my area.

1 hour ago, RMSONE01634 said:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7920828790

This is using a £80 powerline on a pc with gigabit ethernet, paying for 200 download 20 upload

Well that's the problem. You're using a powerline adapter. If you use an Ethernet cable. You'd get the full speeds. 

Please quote so I know you've replied.

These routers are notoriously bad - they're based on the Intel Puma 6 SoC which has known issues and struggles to push everything properly. I would recommend switching to modem mode and using a third-party router if you are concerned about latency/packet loss. That being said, for most use cases the SH3 is fine, however their older revisions are better.

However, in addition to this - as @Abdul201588 said - powerline is pretty poor for full speed. If your speed continues to fall below standard over Ethernet you may be having issues with the power level on DOCSIS (it's a nightmare) and you may want to speak to big red about resolving this.

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

You're using a powerline adapter

Its difficult to use an ethernet cable directly as i am in the opposite side of the house.  I went for a relatively expensive powerline, thinking it would be almost the same as plugging it in directly.

8 minutes ago, Admiral Koba said:

you may be having issues with the power level on DOCSIS

It has been like this since about 3 years ago (maybe more however i never noticed).  How will i know if i am having that issue, and what can VM do about it?

11 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:

Its difficult to use an ethernet cable directly as i am in the opposite side of the house.  I went for a relatively expensive powerline, thinking it would be almost the same as plugging it in directly

It's not the same. Powerline adapters uses your house's electrical wiring. If your house is old then the electrical wiring can have an affect on the powerline. Pricing won't matter. Any device you get will yield the same results.

16 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:

It has been like this since about 3 years ago (maybe more however i never noticed).  How will i know if i am having that issue, and what can VM do about it?

Use a test device over Ethernet (not permanently, of course). If it's not going near the advertised speed - give VM a call and explain the situation when over wired, they should check the power levels if they follow procedure correctly and if it's low then VM will send an engineer out and resolve it either at the cab level or by using an amplifier closer to you.

You can have a little check for yourself by going to your router's admin page (http://192.168.0.1/) and without logging in click Check Router Status - click on Downstream and you should see a heading in a table saying "Power (dBmV)". If that level is above -6dBmV and below 10dBmV - you're fine on that front. 

In addition to this - VIVID 200 is only 12 mbit/s upload. Your upstream is fine. It's most likely your power line adapter causing the issues on the downstream.

quick question, how much would you be willing to pay someone to run an ethernet cable outside your house to the room directly above? (Outside>Up 1 floor>In the room) I am wanting to hardwire my PC permenantly but am afraid it costs lots

33 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:

quick question, how much would you be willing to pay someone to run an ethernet cable outside your house to the room directly above? (Outside>Up 1 floor>In the room) I am wanting to hardwire my PC permenantly but am afraid it costs lots

I wouldn't know. It all depends of the length of the cable, how long it'll take the person to do the work.