980ti jumps to 90 degrees on launch

BAL3

When I start my PC my 980ti jumps to 90 degrees without touching anything. I've tried replacing the cooler and that didn't fix anything. I'm wondering if the card is just dying or if I should just get a new card. It's paired with a 6700k and neither of them are/were overclocked

2 minutes ago, BAL3 said:

Yes, they ramp up to 100% with the temps @JoostinOnline

Run HWMonitor for a couple minutes at startup and please screenshot the GPU values. It's possible that one of the sensors is damaged.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I'm scared to run the system because when I was troubleshooting it it jumped to 91 and my screen started flickering, would it still be OK to run for that small amount of time? @JoostinOnline

Just now, BAL3 said:

I'm scared to run the system because when I was troubleshooting it it jumped to 91 and my screen started flickering, would it still be OK to run for that small amount of time? @JoostinOnline

It's necessary. Worst case scenario is your card is dying. If that's happening, you're kind of screwed already. On the other hand, if something in Windows is messed up (cryptomining malware for example) then this will give the information necessary.

Unless it's already dead, there's no reason this will hurt it.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

It is currently very late where I live, so I'll check the HW Monitor tomorrow, thanks for the help

1 minute ago, BAL3 said:

It is currently very late where I live, so I'll check the HW Monitor tomorrow, thanks for the help

No problem. Tag or quote me when you post it.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:44 AM, Froody129 said:

Did you apply new thermal paste with the new cooler? 

Yes

On 12/31/2018 at 2:00 AM, JoostinOnline said:

No problem. Tag or quote me when you post it.

Of course just when I go to the forums the problem seems to disappear

hwmonitor screenshot.png

4 hours ago, BAL3 said:

hwmonitor screenshot.png

That's very strange, looks like it's a crypto virus I would imagine. 

That's an F in the profile pic

4 hours ago, BAL3 said:

hwmonitor screenshot.png

I think you've got malware using your GPU to mine cryptocurrency. I suggest removing your GPU and using your on board video for now. Run a full scan with Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:58 PM, JoostinOnline said:

I think you've got malware using your GPU to mine cryptocurrency. I suggest removing your GPU and using your on board video for now. Run a full scan with Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything.

Really? I ran a friends GPU for a while and it never had an issue. I'm running malwarebytes right now and what wrong with the screenshot? The GPU is at idle right? I'm still a bit new to PC life

On 12/31/2018 at 5:58 PM, JoostinOnline said:

On 12/31/2018 at 5:28 PM, Froody129 said:

That's very strange, looks like it's a crypto virus I would imagine. 

Malwarebytes didn't find anything, any other good options?

3 hours ago, BAL3 said:

Really? I ran a friends GPU for a while and it never had an issue. I'm running malwarebytes right now and what wrong with the screenshot? The GPU is at idle right? I'm still a bit new to PC life

It shouldn't have spiked up at all. The max GPU usage was 39%. Idle usage should be under 5%.  Try Avast Antivirus as well.

15 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It shouldn't have spiked up at all. The max GPU usage was 39%. Idle usage should be under 5%.  Try Avast Antivirus as well.

Avast didn't find any viruses either

You sure the fans are spinning on the card ?  Can you even play a game with that degree and what not ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

42 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

You sure the fans are spinning on the card ?  Can you even play a game with that degree and what not ?

The fans are definitely spinning, I put a new cooler on the card and can see them spining and hear them get loud when it jumps temp

19 minutes ago, BAL3 said:

The fans are definitely spinning, I put a new cooler on the card and can see them spining and hear them get loud when it jumps temp

Could be the contact between your HS block and the GPU.  I would re sit it.  Clean of thermal paste on video card and block,, then redo what you did carefully and tighten nice.  Let us know.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Could be the contact between your HS block and the GPU.  I would re sit it.  Clean of thermal paste on video card and block,, then redo what you did carefully and tighten nice.  Let us know.

But it's not staying at 90, it'll bounce to it every couple of minutes. A week ago it was just staying at 90 and I've done nothing to it. If it was a bad contact wouldn't it stay at 90 or higher than normal?