Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Got an Asus Strix 980ti used for build - which CPU to pair?

hazeyez
 Share

I purchased an Asus Strix 980ti used, for $200. Also got an EVGA Supernova G2 80+ Gold PSU with it for $40.

 

I am putting together a used parts build for fun. I need a solid foundation.

 

What CPU do you think this should be paired with? Used of course - I've been thinking maybe the Skylake i7-6700k?

 

Or do you think I should go older (i7-4770k??) or newer??

 

Unfortunately - because older CPU's are no longer manufactured - retailers' stock are low so their prices remain high - most of the times higher than brand new generation, better CPU's.

 

So people think they have gold and can charge crazy prices for 3+ years old hardware.

 

For example, i7-6700k's are going for $300 used, about. Why would anyone do that when they can just buy an i7-8700k?

 

I try to explain to the people selling them that the only reason someone would buy them over a newer model is because they absolutely need them to match other hardware - but most people don't NEED older stuff, especially CPU's.

 

 

Anyway, let me know what you think!

 

I have the chance to get an i5-7600k for $150 - you think that'll work? Overclocked?

 

 

P.S. - Oh, and do you think pairing it with an i3-8100 is a mistake?

 

 

 

 

980ti fpu and 650w evga psu.jpg.jpg

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

I have the chance to get an i5-7600k for $150 - you think that'll work? Overclocked?

I think thats a great match

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hazeyez said:

Anyway, let me know what you think!

 

P.S. - Oh, and do you think pairing it with an i3-8100 is a mistake?

For 60hz the i5 could work. Personally I wouldn't disgrace the 980ti with an i3.
For 144hz, or running anything beside the game, I think an i7 or ryzen would be better. I can't "just play my games", I always have something open in the background, youtube or the music player. If you don't do this, the i5 should work fine.
I often see my 7700k at 5G work 80-100% with the gtx 980 at 1450mhz also at 100% in Battlefield 1 (for example), pushing 120-145 fps.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the card :). I have my used 980ti paired with a used 4770 and it's great, the other logical option is one of the new higher core count CPUs. I would avoid the i5 and grab an i7/new i5 or Ryzen 

That's an F in the profile pic

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Avoid i5...you need more than 4 threads..4770k or better would do great..or ryzen 5...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Avoid i5...you need more than 4 threads..4770k or better would do great..or ryzen 5...

@i_build_nanosuits hey I've been looking at getting an i7-6700k used as it's really the cheapest one I can find other than the i5-7600k.

 

As for Ryzen which you mentioned, do you think I can go with the Ryzen 5 1600, would that be suitable? Or as far as Ryzen is concerned stick to the 2600 and up? Or get the i7-6700k over the 1600?

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hazeyez said:

@i_build_nanosuits hey I've been looking at getting an i7-6700k used as it's really the cheapest one I can find other than the i5-7600k.

 

As for Ryzen which you mentioned, do you think I can go with the Ryzen 5 1600, would that be suitable? Or as far as Ryzen is concerned stick to the 2600 and up? Or get the i7-6700k over the 1600

If you are just gaming the 6700k is faster in most games...but ryzen 1600 has 2 more cores so it might last you longer...if you can afford 2600 I think it would be the best choice over 6700k...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

If you are just gaming the 6700k is faster in most games...but ryzen 1600 has 2 more cores so it might last you longer...if you can afford 2600 I think it would be the best choice over 6700k...

@i_build_nanosuits

 

well i can afford the 2600 but it's just a matter of whether I want to or not. I am trying to keep this build a budget build with all used parts. finding a decently priced 2600 is out of the question at this point.

 

I have a 1600 lined up with an msi b350 mobo and a phanteks p400 case for $215

 

or someone else with a 1600 and a msi b350 mobo, and 16gb RAM asking $400 but obviously will need to be negotiated down - which if I cant I am going with the prior option.

 

Finally - the kid with the i7-6700k and Asus z170 mobo is asking $250 but willing to do $190, but he's just very flaky about responding and meeting up it doesn't seem promising as much as I would prefer that option.

 

SO FAR I have the Asus Strix 980ti for $200, the EVGA Supernova G2 650w GOLD for $40, I have $16gb RAM for $70 but planning to use it for another build...

 

So I need a case, cpu, mobo, ram to complete the 980ti build and I think I can do it all for $500 - $600, and flip it for $750 - $800

 

What do you think?

 

 

If you're saying the 2600 is alright compared to the i7-6700k, then I don't see why an overclocked 1600 wouldn't be alright? While the 6700k does have faster single-core speed, compared to the 1600/2600 with faster multi-core speeds, I JUST NEED TO MAKE absolute sure that the 1600 will not bottleneck the 980ti for gaming?

 

Please give me your input on all of that?

 

 

ANYONE ELSE with input is greatly appreciated!!!!

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hazeyez said:

@i_build_nanosuits

 

well i can afford the 2600 but it's just a matter of whether I want to or not. I am trying to keep this build a budget build with all used parts. finding a decently priced 2600 is out of the question at this point.

 

I have a 1600 lined up with an msi b350 mobo and a phanteks p400 case for $215

 

or someone else with a 1600 and a msi b350 mobo, and 16gb RAM asking $400 but obviously will need to be negotiated down - which if I cant I am going with the prior option.

 

Finally - the kid with the i7-6700k and Asus z170 mobo is asking $250 but willing to do $190, but he's just very flaky about responding and meeting up it doesn't seem promising as much as I would prefer that option.

 

SO FAR I have the Asus Strix 980ti for $200, the EVGA Supernova G2 650w GOLD for $40, I have $16gb RAM for $70 but planning to use it for another build...

 

So I need a case, cpu, mobo, ram to complete the 980ti build and I think I can do it all for $500 - $600, and flip it for $750 - $800

 

What do you think?

 

 

If you're saying the 2600 is alright compared to the i7-6700k, then I don't see why an overclocked 1600 wouldn't be alright? While the 6700k does have faster single-core speed, compared to the 1600/2600 with faster multi-core speeds, I JUST NEED TO MAKE absolute sure that the 1600 will not bottleneck the 980ti for gaming?

 

Please give me your input on all of that?

 

 

ANYONE ELSE with input is greatly appreciated!!!!

R5 1600 is perfectly fine for a 980ti build...that deal with the board and case is a good one and the phanteks case is a nice case...I would go with that for sure.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

R5 1600 is perfectly fine for a 980ti build...that deal with the board and case is a good one and the phanteks case is a nice case...I would go with that for sure.

@i_build_nanosuits hey thanks last question...

 

do you think buying a CPU that has been overclocked previously is a bad idea?

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hazeyez said:

@i_build_nanosuits hey thanks last question...

 

do you think buying a CPU that has been overclocked previously is a bad idea?

No it doesn't matter...cpu last forever...if it works now, it'll very likely still work in 8 years from now.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×