CPU stuck at 0.79GHz

jerocom

1849812958_Screenshot(47).thumb.png.b4f5d4f9430e13a7abb80b1ac7e1716c.png905660240_Screenshot(48).thumb.png.bd16fb001bf8c38ea1ee0989a158a56b.png402048007_Screenshot(49).thumb.png.83fa11a2b89d71b6f33865b25d1cd7ac.pngSo, my laptop was running like garbage, so I started investigating.

Tried everything (windows settings, BIOS reset, update power management drivers blah blah) and after playing with it for a while (with CPU burner, throttlestop and other things), I noticed that whenever my laptop is plugged in (and the PSU is in the outlet), my BD prochot is throttling the CPU (when the PSU is without power it doesn't happen and it doesn't happen on battery) so my question is: What would you advise me to do? Because I don't want to disable BD prochot to just let my processor toast my laptop from the inside :D, when it overheats and doesn't throttle.

PSU with power

PSU without power

battery (PSU disconnected)

Also, when I disconnected the PSU (no throttle, it had no power), the BD prochot was going of for like 3 seconds but after that it stabilised itself so...

Also big thank you to anybody that can help me :D.

23 hours ago, badreg said:

Do you have any charger you can try? This seems to be the culprit.

I do not have any other charger, but I can try and get one.

Also when I hold the charger up, it stops the throttling, so I took it apart to take a look and nothing looked wrong, but what do I know...

My laptop is also facing this problem. The temporary solution is shutdown and reboot. First, shutdown!!completely! Second, power up.

Thrid, see if it work.(not work, then try again)

On 12/29/2018 at 9:02 PM, jerocom said:

I don't want to disable BD prochot to just let my processor toast my laptop from the inside

Did you know that BD PROCHOT has nothing to do with PROCHOT?  If you disable BD PROCHOT, your CPU will throttle and slow down to protect itself if it should ever get too hot.  PROCHOT is the processor hot signal.  This signal is generated internally within the processor so it cannot be disabled with software.  BD PROCHOT is completely different.  It is an overused throttling method.  If it is causing problems for you, obviously it is, disable it and never look back.  Your CPU will thank you for doing this and your computer will be infinitely more usable.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:44 PM, unclewebb said:

Did you know that BD PROCHOT has nothing to do with PROCHOT?  If you disable BD PROCHOT, your CPU will throttle and slow down to protect itself if it should ever get too hot.  PROCHOT is the processor hot signal.  This signal is generated internally within the processor so it cannot be disabled with software.  BD PROCHOT is completely different.  It is an overused throttling method.  If it is causing problems for you, obviously it is, disable it and never look back.  Your CPU will thank you for doing this and your computer will be infinitely more usable.

Thank you, did not know that, can you explain the difference to me? (Between PROCHOT and BD PROCHOT)

Hey guys, thank you all for helping me, I have not resolved it yet, but I am applying for warranty claim since my charging port stopped working as well :D. (its just braking down, damn HP :D).

So once again thank you and may the force of Linus be with you.

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2019 at 1:51 AM, jerocom said:

Hey guys, thank you all for helping me, I have not resolved it yet, but I am applying for warranty claim since my charging port stopped working as well :D. (its just braking down, damn HP :D).

So once again thank you and may the force of Linus be with you.

I have the same problem, please did you solve it ?