Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSU making buzzing noise when playing games

Ragnar Lothbrok

So I'm a bit worried about this. Whenever I'm playing games like GTA V, AC Odyssey, etc. the PSU starts making buzzing noise. I ignored it until now because whenever my GPU draws more power, games just crash. 

So I decided to run the unigine heaven benchmark and before the benchmark would even start, the entire pc shuts down. Every time I try to run the benchmark, this happens. 

Everything was running just fine a couple of days ago. Also, I should mention that all of this only happens when the pc is under load. I have tried putting the CPU under load and nothing happens. The issues start when the GPU is under load. 

Here's my current build [This build is 2 weeks old]:

Core i5 8400

16GB corsair vengeance

Gigabyte B360M ultra durable mobo

RX 580 8GB

My PSU is Artis VIP500 Gold. It is a reputable company here in India.

Do you guys think the PSU might be faulty or is it the GPU? I doubt the GPU is faulty because I was able to run the unigine heaven & valley benchmarks when I assembled this build and they ran without any issues. The PSU was still making a buzzing noise back then. 

Also, do you think I should just stop using the pc altogether to make sure that no other parts are being affected if the psu is faulty, or I should just stop gaming for a while until I get a new psu?

Thanks. 

I'm really worried. 

That's what we in the business call

Spoiler

A dead PSU

Unfortunately these parts can arrive faulty so how about reclaiming the warranty?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

reputable does not mean quality.

That is true. I'll probably get a replacement from the shop I purchased it from. This time I'd go for corsair or antec or something like that. In the mean time, you think I should continue using my pc or immediately stop using it until I replace the psu?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

That's what we in the business call

Reveal hidden contents

A dead PSU

Unfortunately these parts can arrive faulty so how about reclaiming the warranty?

I'll probably end up just returning it to the shop and getting a different PSU. I know the owner personally. So he can deal with the reclaiming process himself. 

Just now, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

That is true. I'll probably get a replacement from the shop I purchased it from. This time I'd go for corsair or antec or something like that. In the mean time, you think I should continue using my pc or immediately stop using it until I replace the psu?

Thanks.

well, the worst that can happen is that the computer busts into flames and lets all the magic smoke out of everything.

the flipside of that is little to no gaming.

i know which one is cheaper.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

I'll probably end up just returning it to the shop and getting a different PSU. I know the owner personally. So he can deal with the reclaiming process himself. 

You could have him test it, he may have come across this before and set something right.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well, the worst that can happen is that the computer busts into flames and lets all the magic smoke out of everything.

the flipside of that is little to no gaming.

i know which one is cheaper.

Darnit. My new years is going to be boring without me GTA buddies. 

Thanks for the help. You really saved my pc from dying. 

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

You could have him test it, he may have come across this before and set something right.

He's too cocky. But I think that'll be the best approach to not argue with him and easily get a replacement.

Thanks for the help. 

12 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

Thanks.

I would try not to use that PSU, it seems a bit sketchy to me. I've never heard of Artis, and a google search of "Artis PSU" doesn't give me much information.

I would personally recommend the Corsair CX550M for your build. Corsair have really improved the grey label CX PSUs over the old ones.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

I would try not to use that PSU, it seems pretty sketchy. I've never heard of Artis, and a google search of "Artis PSU" doesn't give me much information.

I would personally recommend the Corsair CX550M for your build. Corsair have really improved the grey label CX PSUs over the old ones.

I'll make sure to mention that when I return it for a replacement

I'll make sure to mention that when I return it for a replacement

Well, I wouldn't say it seems sketchy. If I were you I'd say something like "I can't see any information for it on the internet".

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Well, I wouldn't say it seems sketchy. If I were you I'd say something like "I can't see any information for it on the internet".

Ya that's a given. Don't want to piss him off.

But I might end up saying it was sketchy after I get a new psu :D 

Ya that's a given. Don't want to piss him off.

But I might end up saying it was sketchy after I get a new psu :D 

Yeah, that's probably the best thing to do :) 

25 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

My PSU is Artis VIP500 Gold. It is a reputable company here in India.

>Reputable
>India

Choose one.

The only information I can find on that PSU is a "review" from 9 years ago. http://www.technostarry.com/vip-gold-500w-review/

As well as a Tom's Hardware forum post suggesting it's based on a FSP BlueStorm 500, which was reviewed by Tom's Hardware back in 2005... But I can't confirm the accuracy of the Tom's Hardware forum reply.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

>Reputable
>India

Choose one.

The only information I can find on that PSU is a "review" from 9 years ago. http://www.technostarry.com/vip-gold-500w-review/

As well as a Tom's Hardware forum post suggesting it's based on a FSP BlueStorm 500, which was reviewed by Tom's Hardware back in 2005... But I can't confirm the accuracy of the Tom's Hardware forum reply.

I know. Should've done the research before buying it. But the seller pushed it on me when I was selecting the parts for the pc build. Obviously I forgot to choose the right power supply as I was too focused on which GPU and CPU to pick. Huge mistake. 

Which budget PSU would you recommend I go for? 

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

I know. Should've done the research before buying it. But the seller pushed it on me when I was selecting the parts for the pc build. Obviously I forgot to choose the right power supply as I was too focused on which GPU and CPU to pick. Huge mistake. 

Which budget PSU would you recommend I go for? 

CX550 seems like decent value in India.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MRW2K79/?tag=pcp03-21

If your GPU only requires a single PCIe power connector, and you're not planning on upgrading it, you could get the CX450 for a bit cheaper. It only has 1 PCIe power connector.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MTZ96RU/?tag=pcp03-21&th=1

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

CX550 seems like decent value in India.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MRW2K79/?tag=pcp03-21

If your GPU only requires a single PCIe power connector, and you're not planning on upgrading it, you could get the CX450 for a bit cheaper. It only has 1 PCIe power connector.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MTZ96RU/?tag=pcp03-21&th=1

I was thinking on upgrading to a 1080 in the next 2-3 years but I think CX450 would be more than enough for now. 

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

I was thinking on upgrading to a 1080 in the next 2-3 years but I think CX450 would be more than enough for now. 

In 2-3 years time the GTX 1080 will be a 5-6 year old graphics card. Nvidia would have released the next generation by then.

Also found the new grey label Corsair VS450 for 2700 Rupees if you're on a really tight budget, but if you can afford the CX450 then that would be the better pick.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B078Y44N73/ref=psdc_1375390031_t3_B01MTZ96RU

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

In 2-3 years time the GTX 1080 will be a 5-6 year old graphics card. Nvidia would have released the next generation by then.

Also found the new grey label Corsair VS450 for 2700 Rupees if you're on a really tight budget, but if you can afford the CX450 then that would be the better pick.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B078Y44N73/ref=psdc_1375390031_t3_B01MTZ96RU

I was looking at the VS450 but since I've already spent so much on the build, I'd be doing a disservice to myself by cheaping out on a PSU. And it could really hurt the entire build if I made the wrong choice again. 

It'll be worth spending more on the CX450.

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

TomsHardware forum is a joke. Literally no one there knows how to read a PSU review.

Only 240V, only lists three basic output protections, only 360W on the 12V rail, probably group regulated. Doesn't look good.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:21 PM, Rexper said:

Only 240V, only lists three basic output protections, only 360W on the 12V rail, probably group regulated. Doesn't look good.

Correct.  It's not a good PSU.  Even by India's standards.