My iBuyPower nightmare

Deadsh0t

Backstory first,

Late April, early May, my wife and i were moving in together. she had always wanted a real gaming pc, but crypto-mining had kinda killed the market for buying parts (as all of your probably already know) IBP was doing a cinco de mayo sale, and at the time, it did actually save a bit to do it that way...product ships, cable management is crap, power plugged into the cpu fan (tested IBP says...suuuure) don't really care, ive built computers for about 12 years, it didnt take more than a day to unfuck the machine, didnt even have to replace any parts.

Annoyed, but no more problems...

or so i thought...

Fast forward to this week, wife's ram has always been a bottleneck, had to skimp and only get 16GB because she wanted her RGB...while i was looking around for replacements, had to check her ram to get a close match...

TURNS OUT, iBuyPower had decided to put half of a 4x8 module in her machine instead of spending the extra money to get her a full 2x8...testing with my ram, her computer doesn't post, because the gimped 4x8 module WONT RUN with 2 more ram modules unless they are the other  half of the 4x8... IBP is, of course, silent on the issue, and calling their tech support this week, they didn't see a problem, because they "never said the ram could be upgraded"

if it wasnt clear from linus' last video, DON'T GET IBUYPOWER...

if anyone knows how to fix this issue, i'd love any suggestions, because right now, im just angry and am probably missing an obvious solution

Just thinking here but could updating the BIOS help?  And the best thing you could do is maybe get ram that is in a set.  Since you want to go with 32 gigs of ram, the best would be to get four sticks of eight gigs but make sure that it is in a set of 32 gigs and that way you know the ram sticks are all a matched set.  I would also recommend checking the mobo's website to see if they had a Qualified Vendors List for that board but knowing what I know about IBP, the board is probably a knock-off of some Chinese electronics deal so a QVL is most likely not available.

A 4*8 set is literally two 2*8 kits. They are usually just the same ram, and it shouldn't even matter. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

A 4*8 set is literally two 2*8 kits. They are usually just the same ram, and it shouldn't even matter. 

it shouldnt, but her mobo keeps trying to run the ram in quad channel...even when only 2 of the sticks are in, it wont run anything but quad channel, when i move her ram to my motherboard it does the same thing, so i don't think its the mobo

37 minutes ago, Deadsh0t said:

Fast forward to this week, wife's ram has always been a bottleneck, had to skimp and only get 16GB because she wanted her RGB...

16GB is not skimping. Very few workloads will use that much.

39 minutes ago, Deadsh0t said:

TURNS OUT, iBuyPower had decided to put half of a 4x8 module in her machine instead of spending the extra money to get her a full 2x8

That's not how RAM works.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

16GB is not skimping. Very few workloads will use that much.

That's not how RAM works.

then please tell me how to fix this problem, because i am entirely lost

5 minutes ago, Deadsh0t said:

What are the part numbers on each stick and how many slots are there? And what motherboard?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

16 minutes ago, Deadsh0t said:

it shouldnt, but her mobo keeps trying to run the ram in quad channel...even when only 2 of the sticks are in, it wont run anything but quad channel, when i move her ram to my motherboard it does the same thing, so i don't think its the mobo

So do you mean they put in a 4x4 kit? I don't see how it could run half of 4*8 in quad channel. 

How is 16GB a bottleneck for gaming? Am I missing something here?

Also, like the others have said, it really shouldn't need the other sticks of a kit or even matter.

And beside, isn't Quad channel only a thing if the motherboard has 8 DIMM slots? If your motherboard only has 4 slots, it will run in dual channel. 

If your motherboard DOES have 8 slots, don't put all the ram in the same color coded slots. Put 2 stick in one color and 2 other sticks in the other color.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

what computer is it exactly? if you don't even know the parts and such you probably shouldn't be trying to use your memory on it, imagine if it uses DDR4 and you're trying to force DDR3 into it and complaining why it won't boot lol!

Like mentioned I doubt whatever CPU it has it doesn't support Quad Channel memory to begin with.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

34 minutes ago, Deadsh0t said:

Give us exact RAM and motherboard models.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

-= Moved to Troubleshooting =-

Due to the turn this discussion has taken - from a rant on a bad experience to finding out what is wrong and fixing it - let be sure to keep comments on assisting the OP with the issue.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

55 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Give us exact RAM and motherboard models.

motherboard is ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING

RAM is 2 sticks of VENGEANCE® RGB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

How is 16GB a bottleneck for gaming? Am I missing something here?

Also, like the others have said, it really shouldn't need the other sticks of a kit or even matter.

And beside, isn't Quad channel only a thing if the motherboard has 8 DIMM slots? If your motherboard only has 4 slots, it will run in dual channel. 

If your motherboard DOES have 8 slots, don't put all the ram in the same color coded slots. Put 2 stick in one color and 2 other sticks in the other color.

Its not just gaming, she also edits photos and videos and streams

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

what computer is it exactly? if you don't even know the parts and such you probably shouldn't be trying to use your memory on it, imagine if it uses DDR4 and you're trying to force DDR3 into it and complaining why it won't boot lol!

Like mentioned I doubt whatever CPU it has it doesn't support Quad Channel memory to begin with.

thanks for reading anything of what i said before posting

2 hours ago, Deadsh0t said:

You didn't give any specifics, just general terms. There's no need to be rude to people trying to help.

3 hours ago, Deadsh0t said:

motherboard is ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING

RAM is 2 sticks of VENGEANCE® RGB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 

If you want it to match perfectly, just buy another kit of this. That motherboard doesn't support quad channel (consumer boards in general don't), but it doesn't really matter anyway.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You didn't give any species, just general terms. There's no need to be rude to people trying to help.

Ok to this, "if you don't even know the parts" means that this person didnt read to the point that i knew that it was from a 32g kit (if you discount the part the part where i mentioned ive been building for 12 years) so yeah, thats not being helpful, that's just trying to act liek you know more than me, which even if you do, is so much ruder

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If you want it to match perfectly, just buy another kit of this. That motherboard doesn't support quad channel (consumer boards in general don't), but it doesn't really matter anyway.

Second, i have now tried TWO different kits with my wifes ram, and putting it with ANYTHING causes it to fail posting, both in my machine and hers. (as in, no bios errors, but her ram stops showing when anything else is plugged in) if that is really not how quad channel ram is supposed to work (never used it before) then something must be really wrong with the ram...

37 minutes ago, Deadsh0t said:

i mentioned ive been building for 12 years

And yet buys prebuild from ibuypower.

1 hour ago, Deadsh0t said:

I did and you were more focused on complain than troubleshoot given you amazing lack of information and belief that a Z370 actually had Quad Channel suggested in every way you're not aware of what you're doing.

Either ways quit worrying and call you costumer support since this is a prebuild let the people who actually gets paid to handle this.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

And yet buys prebuild from ibuypower.

I did and you were more focused on complain than troubleshoot given you amazing lack of information and belief that a Z370 actually had Quad Channel suggested in every way you're not aware of what you're doing.

Either ways quit worrying and call you costumer support since this is a prebuild let the people who actually gets paid to handle this.

ok, stop...read the post...why does the post say i bought a prebuild?

also read is some more and tell me what happened when i called support?

and JoostinOnline said you were just trying to help... turns out you're just an asshole

fixed the ram...i think did some iso scrubbing on both DIMMs and now the weird behavior has gone away..not really sure if what i did actually fixed the problem or not, because that shouldn't have been the problem, but at least its working for now