New mobo with Windows 10 OEM... help me!

Jesse7012

So I made a horrible miscalculation while deciding on a new motherboard ... I didn't think about the fact that I have OEM windows .... so basically I need to figure out 1 how I can potentially activate windows when my new board get's here and 2 how to not lose all my files if I have to buy a new copy of windows because sadly I only have one lonely Hdd ... or if I even would lose all my files for that matter. I've never had to do this before I've only ever installed windows to blank drives so I have no idea lol if you could help that would be awesome! thanks!

First of all, before taking on the job of switching out your mobo, backup all your files, then backup the backup.  Second, there is a myriad of software out there that can tell you what your Windows key is.  The one that I use is called Belarc and you can get it from www.belarc.com.  It's free and will tell you not only your Windows key, but any other software keys that you have on your system.

Since you are replacing the mobo, and have backed up all your files, then you can replace the mobo and do a reinstall of Windows on the new motherboard.  Also, another thing you can think about is upgrading your system with the addition of an SSD drive.  You should do a complete, fresh install of Windows with the new hardware.  The link below will take you to the Windows Media Creation tool and that is what you use to install Windows on the new mobo and drive, (if you decide to do the drive too).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7593_159229&tduid=(ir__hlqsbebss0dmsish01evqcvdzm2xhyt3dl1vfzij00)(7593)(159229)()(UUwpUdUnU50931)&irclickid=_hlqsbebss0dmsish01evqcvdzm2xhyt3dl1vfzij00

Connect key to your MS account. Login to your MS account. Done. Microsoft decided they want users more than money from licensing so connecting key to account will remove most of restrictions placed in by licensing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

50 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Connect key to your MS account. Login to your MS account. Done. Microsoft decided they want users more than money from licensing so connecting key to account will remove most of restrictions placed in by licensing.

Well I have done that so I guess I'm in the clear thanks!

8 hours ago, kb5zue said:

First of all, before taking on the job of switching out your mobo, backup all your files, then backup the backup.  Second, there is a myriad of software out there that can tell you what your Windows key is.  The one that I use is called Belarc and you can get it from www.belarc.com.  It's free and will tell you not only your Windows key, but any other software keys that you have on your system.

Since you are replacing the mobo, and have backed up all your files, then you can replace the mobo and do a reinstall of Windows on the new motherboard.  Also, another thing you can think about is upgrading your system with the addition of an SSD drive.  You should do a complete, fresh install of Windows with the new hardware.  The link below will take you to the Windows Media Creation tool and that is what you use to install Windows on the new mobo and drive, (if you decide to do the drive too).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?irgwc=1&amp;OCID=AID681541_aff_7593_159229&amp;tduid=(ir__hlqsbebss0dmsish01evqcvdzm2xhyt3dl1vfzij00)(7593)(159229)()(UUwpUdUnU50931)&amp;irclickid=_hlqsbebss0dmsish01evqcvdzm2xhyt3dl1vfzij00

Thanks for all the info hopefully it helps!

1 hour ago, Jesse7012 said:

Thanks for all the info hopefully it helps!

Not really. Info about linked account was right, info about need to reinstall - not. Just plug your drive with system, boot and Windows detects new hardware. That's all.