Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 cards with 2 screens.

Jonathan420
 Share

Basically i was wondering if using a second card for a second screen would affect performance in games running on the main display, compared to 2 screens on one card or one screen on one card. I dont know if what im trying to say is clear (probably not) but thats all i want to know.

Main card : GTX 1060 6GB (for the game itself)

Second card : some cheap amd card (only to run discord or something)

 

Im away from home rn i cant test. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jonathan420 said:

Basically i was wondering if using a second card for a second screen would affect performance in games running on the main display, compared to 2 screens on one card or one screen on one card. I dont know if what im trying to say is clear (probably not) but thats all i want to know.

Main card : GTX 1060 6GB (for the game itself)

Second card : some cheap amd card (only to run discord or something)

 

Im away from home rn i cant test. 

Bad idea, the cards would fight for video control and games would crash or run badly.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do it every once in awhile. I either use a second card or igpu. Never notice anything and I tend to notice everything. Wouldn't go out of my way to get a card for that sole purpose though.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean if it's just to use web browser and discord and such no actual 3d rendering or any thing then you can just use the 1060, no need to get any thing.

 

If you want to separate it for whatever reason though just use your iGPU (Assuming you have Intel because you didn't specify) you just have to enable it on BIOS and then plug the cable to the motherboard.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jonathan420 said:

Basically i was wondering if using a second card for a second screen would affect performance in games running on the main display, compared to 2 screens on one card or one screen on one card. I dont know if what im trying to say is clear (probably not) but thats all i want to know.

Main card : GTX 1060 6GB (for the game itself)

Second card : some cheap amd card (only to run discord or something)

 

Im away from home rn i cant test. 

the difference is negligible, i didn't notice a difference with 1 mon vs 2 mon, but i did notice a small boost with true fullscreen vs windowed borderless full screen

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I mean if it's just to use web browser and discord and such no actual 3d rendering or any thing then you can just use the 1060, no need to get any thing.

 

If you want to separate it for whatever reason though just use your iGPU (Assuming you have Intel because you didn't specify) you just have to enable it on BIOS and then plug the cable to the motherboard.

Well when i did this with my R7 260x (two screens on a single card) it lagged quite a bit. My CPU is AMD so i dont have integrated graphics and i already own the cheap card (not the 260x). The 1060 will probably handle it so you're most likely right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

I do it every once in awhile. I either use a second card or igpu. Never notice anything and I tend to notice everything. Wouldn't go out of my way to get a card for that sole purpose though.

I already own the second card so i dont need to buy anything. My CPU is an FX 8300 so i dont have integrated graphics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Bad idea, the cards would fight for video control and games would crash or run badly.

Really? Other people tell me that it works so ill have to try it out to know for sure. I don't see why that would happen since the game only runs on one screen tho. After all i don't know much about these things anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jonathan420 said:

Really? Other people tell me that it works so ill have to try it out to know for sure. I don't see why that would happen since the game only runs on one screen tho. After all i don't know much about these things anyways.

Their experience was different than mine, but it didn't break anything to try...see what happens

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most apps still use the primary graphics card to process what's on the 2nd screen, there's really very few uses where its worth it. Especially from different vendors it can lead to driver conflicts at times, and there can be a tiny delay making it less smooth/fluid moving things between screens, so generally its counter productive and better to keep both monitors connected to one gpu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×