Building a PC out of CONSOLE PARTS?

TekkyTG

I thought it'd be a really good video to see Linus and his team do. I was reading about some of this the other day and I found out that the original XBOX actually used an Intel computer processor, and the newer console are getting more and more similar to being computers now. I'm sure it'd take more than wiping the memory on an XBOX One or PS4 and installing Win10 on it, but I feel like it's possible, and it's just the kind of video Linus would make.

Building a PC using console hardware isn't going to happen anytime soon I'm afraid, you can build a small form factor PC in a console chassis but you can't build a PC out of console hardware.  

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Yeaaah that's going to be a nope.

We know current gen consoles use either an APU with an older architecture (i think jaguar?) and a LOT of gpu cores (at least for an APU) and current stuff still uses older CPU's but a dGPU similar to an rx 580.

The architecture is not the problem, but the silicon is custom-designed to what microsoft want, including (probably) unique microcode and other stuff to make it more difficult for hackers to get into.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Old Xbox and PS used powerPCs as base. Maybe Anthony could make it happen, who knows. I'm waiting to see how well the DOS gaming PC thing goes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Old Xbox and PS used powerPCs as base. Maybe Anthony could make it happen, who knows. I'm waiting to see how well the DOS gaming PC thing goes.

Nope, original XBOX used an PIII derivate as its cpu, later 360 used a triple core ppc

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

12 hours ago, TechPrince said:

I thought it'd be a really good video to see Linus and his team do. I was reading about some of this the other day and I found out that the original XBOX actually used an Intel computer processor, and the newer console are getting more and more similar to being computers now. I'm sure it'd take more than wiping the memory on an XBOX One or PS4 and installing Win10 on it, but I feel like it's possible, and it's just the kind of video Linus would make.

Linux is already possible with the right fimware, but Windows is a big no no. Firstly, PS4 is not a typical x86 architecture,as it lacks certain instructions and chipset features (along with bios/uefi) to properly run Windows. Linux can be compiled against these limitations, while Windows has no such option.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

well, linux or openbsd could work, but windows? btw, it does use amd jaguar a polaris based gpu, so if some users are brave or good enough at the linux/openbsd community, it is possible. but don't expect windows

You can install Linux on the 360, as well as OtherOS on the PS3 (If you have very early firmware)

Just because it may be related to an existing piece of silicon doesn't mean it's not modified.

The Xbox was made with a lot of random extra features that even the Xbox 360 couldn't emulate properly.

The Xbox 360's silicon was modified extensively so that it could support a lot of (for the time, anyway) new and cutting edge features. Sure, early dev kits were Power Mac G5s with specific GPUs, but that doesn't mean they were on par with the 360.

The Xbox One's silicon is made, once again, with a lot of new and cutting edge features in mind, but also has a lot of hardware features from the Xbox 360 built into it so Xbox 360 emulation could be more accurately done with a mix of software and hardware.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

That's a lot of good info, and I'm glad so many people commented! I just thought with Linus and his team's skills or maybe the help of someone like Louis Rossman (idk if I spelled his name right), it might could be done. Linus has done some pretty crazy things before, too. I didn't actually expect this amount of controversy over this, I figured everybody would be one way or another. ?