EK A240G installation on Prime X370

Wow what a nightmare. The installation of the pump, hoses, rad, and 1080ti went fine and all... but when it came to the CPU... OMG. Why in the almighty HELL did EK go with their custom backplate? It was TENSE getting the factory backplate off the board. The OEM gasket was double sided 3m grade STUCK on to the MB. There were times i wasn't sure if i was pealing the plate off the tape, or the tape off the board. and who knows what it would come with! SMDs? Trace wires? Holy crap.

It doesn't look half bad in the P400S, but I think something got screwed up bad, because i've reinstalled the OS from scratch on that MX300 M.2, and i'm at factory settings and I'll get black screens every now and again. Typical Ryzen instability. I've got a second kit of the Corsair RGB ram that I can't run because of instability. It'll only post with all 4 at 2133MHz. I'm not convinced this board is conducive to custom liquid cooling solutions. I can't control the pump speed so it's running at 2500 RPM all the time, I can't use AI Suite III because i think it's fan controlling software is causing the instability (almost every time it's blackscreed it was when i was modifying the fan curves) and SpeedFan doesn't see the fans.

Also for so reason, the system thinks there's a second copy of windows on the 2TB SSD i have my game library on. Always asks me to choose a OS at startup.

So three questions:

1: Is there a AMD MB that is easier to work on for custom LC?

2: Any suggestions for fan/waterpump control software

3: Any ideas on how to get rid of the annoying choose your OS message?

DSC00003.JPG

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

20 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

So three questions:

1: Is there a AMD MB that is easier to work on for custom LC?

2: Any suggestions for fan/waterpump control software

3: Any ideas on how to get rid of the annoying choose your OS message?

Sorry that you had a bad experience, but here are my thoughts::

1. I used a Crosshair 6 Hero and the backplate just dropped off when I took off the front mounts, so I suppose that sounds easier than what you describe.

2. Always BIOS control, no messy software, easy.

3. Hard to say without knowing the cause, of course a wipe clean would be easy. Perhaps look at boot order in the bios.

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Sorry that you had a bad experience, but here are my thoughts::

1. I used a Crosshair 6 Hero and the backplate just dropped off when I took off the front mounts, so I suppose that sounds easier than what you describe.

2. Always BIOS control, no messy software, easy.

3. Hard to say without knowing the cause, of course a wipe clean would be easy. Perhaps look at boot order in the bios.

That sounds infinitely easier.

BIOS control is great for CPU cooling, but i can't detect any t-sensors (even if i had one), and doesn't control pump speed. full throttle all the time.

I did a nuke and pave of the OS drive when i started having massive blackscreen issues, and then suddenly this choose your OS business started. It wants to start Windows on the 2TB drive. When i try it, it says run recovery. The m.2 doesn't even show up on the boot list so i can't prioritize it. Are you suggesting I nuke the 2TB storage SSD?

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

BIOS control is great for CPU cooling, but i can't detect any t-sensors (even if i had one), and doesn't control pump speed. full throttle all the time.

t_sensors require temperature probes, if you don't have them, they have nothing to detect (your board has at least 1 two pin header). Pump speed is regulated by PWM and can be done like a normal fan. Modern BIOS control is great for PWM and voltage control (which covers pretty much every device) and so software control like speedfan or other peripherals like Aquaero are completely deprecated imo.

I really can't help with the OS stuff without being there, but try to unplug the 2TB drive, and make sure everything is okay on the M.2 side of things and then re-introduce the 2TB drive at a later point.

well if the BIOS can control pump speed through the W_PUMP+ header, i don't see where...

System specs:

9 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well if the BIOS can control pump speed through the W_PUMP+ header, i don't see where...

You need to enable AIO_PUMP/W_PUMP control in the BIOS, by default it is locked to 100% to make sure AIO users don't mess up their pump. This is under the monitoring tab in the BIOS, refer to page 3-22 of your manual,

Having said that I would recommend you to follow EKWB's instructions and have the pump connected to the CPU_FAN so that you get an error if ther pump were to die. That's on you though.

Well hey! That's one down! Thanks!

System specs:

Maybe a fix for dualboot.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/remove-dual-boot-menu/

Fix #1: Open msconfig

Using the msconfig utility tool allows you to select which version of Windows you’d like to boot directly into when you restart your computer.

Follow these steps:

1. Click Start
  2. Type msconfig in the search box or open Run
  3. Go to Boot
  4. Select which Windows version you’d like to boot into directly
  5. Press Set as Default
  6. You can delete the earlier version by selecting it and then clicking Delete
  7. Click Apply
  8. Click OK
  9. Restart your computer

If you choose to delete a version from the Boot tab of msconfig, that Windows version won’t be deleted, but it won’t be displayed on the Windows Boot Manager screen.

YUUP!

2 down!

System specs: