is window 10 can transfer to new build computer

ZEKENZY

Hi. ALL.   I'm having old prebuilt  HP PC window 10 . I'm plan with Build New PC .  is that will work if I'm Clone  old computer window 10  transfer  to  New SSD and put in new build computer.  so I don't have to buy New window 10 key. is that will work ? Thank you .

It should move the os fine but it will detect the hardware change and won't auto activate for your. You still need a new key with a clone.

1 hour ago, ZEKENZY said:

Hi. ALL.   I'm having old prebuilt  HP PC window 10 . I'm plan with Build New PC .  is that will work if I'm Clone  old computer window 10  transfer  to  New SSD and put in new build computer.  so I don't have to buy New window 10 key. is that will work ? Thank you .

OEM license of Windows is not transferable. You'll need to purchase a new license of Windows 10.

No you cannot clone, not only for what Electronics Wizardy said, but also because cloning is only designed for copying 2 identical drive down to firmware. You don't have or barely have any error correction in the process, and this can easily lead to a broken experience, or issues that will reveal itself later (like Windows update failing).

You are always best to do a clean install. And depending on your setup and internet speed, it can even be faster than cloning.

3 hours ago, ZEKENZY said:

Simply answer - yes, you can. First link your local account to Microsoft Account, then you can change hardware and your Windows will be activated. Use Macrium Reflect to made clone of your OS (use rescue USB created by Macrium Reflect and boot computer from that USB, so you'll clone system that is not in use during clone - or use second computer or second operating system to clone). I made this lot of times - my current Windows was cloned from 120 GB SSD to 240 GB SSD, then I changed motherboard from 3rd gen i5 to 8th gen i7, then I cloned system again from 240 GB SSD to 500 GB SSD. Sill everything works, updates works etc.

Other that experience with my own system and computer(s), I cloned dozens of drives (always using second system to do that and image/restore - but that for archive purposes), swapped motherboards and everything (even from intel to Ryzen and from AMD to intel, from XP to win10).

If you want to clean up a little - use tools like Ghostbuster to remove old drivers (it's not necessary, since Windows using only drivers that are needed and do not use ones who are related to not existing devices).

We'll arguing about that forever I think. I still use Macrium Reflect, I still prefer clone over nonsense "clean install" procedure every hardware change. And I still have no issues (and people who I helped with clone have no problems at all too).

@GoodBytes: classic "clone" used by some old programs - maybe, it may works like you describe. But modern clone is more like image/restore on-the-fly. You can even move and resize partitions in that process. And drive identifier is not cloned.

We must separate people who works on their computers and uses lot of programs, configurations, registered components and plugins from those who uses only one browser and Steam with 2 games. In that second case - sometimes "clean" install may be easier and maybe even faster. I spend many days when I moved from win7 to win10 (80% was easy, then I start moving all my small useful stuff I forget - and that takes days). That was painful process and I don't recommend to anyone that waste of time.