Booting Ubuntu on an SSD

Interesting problem. I've installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on a SanDisk 240GB SSD in a USB Type C Enclosure. Now I can easily boot it on my gaming PC. It's detected and I can boot it from the MOBO's boot menu. But when I try to boot it on my HP Pavilion x360 Laptop I can't figure out how to get it to boot. Like I go into the boot menu and it just isn't detected. I've tried it in a USB Type C port, and a USB Type A 3.0 port. I've tried with Secure Boot on and off but still nothing. Any advice?

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

I doubt it has anything to do with ubuntu if the drive isn't detected in the bios. There might be an option that disables usb boot...?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I doubt it has anything to do with ubuntu if the drive isn't detected in the bios. There might be an option that disables usb boot...?

USB Boot says it's enabled too. I have no idea what's going on

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

10 minutes ago, Inversion said:

USB Boot says it's enabled too. I have no idea what's going on

Do any other external drives get recognized?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You need to add an UEFI boot entry in the computer that points to the bootloader in the external drive

🙂

1 hour ago, duncannah said:

You need to add an UEFI boot entry in the computer that points to the bootloader in the external drive

How do I do that? I'm new to linux

I guess you need to enter the pc BIOS and set uefi from there.

It might also be a Grub issue. Grub is GNU/Linux bootloader that is in charge of listing available oss on the system, if the other OS was not present when you installed GNU/Linux that might be the issue, Grub is unaware of its existence.

It is now probably easier to reinstall GNU/Linux (with other os drive attached) than edit Grub conf file.

For more info on how to do that, the web is full of guides.

You need an application that can change UEFI boot entries, the only one out there that I can find is EasyUEFI, which is paid but you can use it within the free trial. (There's also BOOTICE that I would've recommended but the site has been down for a while)

With that, create a new entry that points to `/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi` in the first partition of the SSD.

🙂

2 minutes ago, duncannah said:

You need an application that can change UEFI boot entries, the only one out there that I can find is EasyUEFI, which is paid but you can use it within the free trial. (There's also BOOTICE that I would've recommended but the site has been down for a while)

With that, create a new entry that points to `/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi` in the first partition of the SSD.

Is this done in windows or ubuntu?

29 minutes ago, Inversion said:

Is this done in windows or ubuntu?

Do it in Windows, on the laptop 

🙂