Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EGPU performance vs laptop 1050ti

ccryt

So, I have a dell g3 17 with a i7 8750 and a 1050ti. Its been going well for gaming, can't run anything on ultra sadly but hey it was a good deal and I still consider this a good laptop for the games I want to play. I want to be able to upgrade the GPU to something like a 1080 or even a 2080 in the future, so I've been looking at a EGPU. This laptop has TB3 so that's no problem. I'm under the impression that if  im going to get a EGPU to do better then my 1050ti,  ill have to shell out some money so I don't mind that. I hope It'll still end up being cheaper then buying a 1080 laptop for like 2000 or more dollars. Getting a desktop is not a option. Will a 1080 egpu with TB3 perform better then my 1050ti laptop? 

Just now, filippalfi said:

Yes, it will. 

By how much? I've heard it bottlenecks a lot, is it really significant? or in the end will it still be much better?

Yes but remember that it is going to be limited by the bandwidth of the port especially if you don't use an external display. Using an external display could gain you 20 fps in some cases. Also as your CPU gets older it will limit more modern GPUs.

You'll lose about 20-30% of the potential performance of the 1080 in a Thunderbolt 3 dock depending on the scenario.  It'll still kick the crap out of the laptop 1050.  Though, realistically, after dock and GPU purchase why not buy a desktop.

Just now, Tarun10 said:

Yes but remember that it is going to be limited by the bandwidth of the port especially if you don't use an external display. Using an external display could gain you 20 fps in some cases. Also as your CPU gets older it will limit more modern GPUs.

I definitely understand and I'm prepared to leave this laptop in the next year or two. But for now I just want a cheap option to enjoy some modern games. 

Just now, ccryt said:

By how much? I've heard it bottlenecks a lot, is it really significant? or in the end will it still be much better?

It will still be much better. There are few videos on YT where they explain it all in depth. Linus also made one, check it out. 

Just now, ccryt said:

Much better. Bottleneck really depends on the hardware. Use an external display, a short TB cable, maybe undervolt your CPU and repaste it and you might expect a bottleneck of anywhere between 5-30% or more depending on the game. If you are sure that eGPU is your only option then go for it.

7 minutes ago, ccryt said:

This laptop has TB3

Only the 1060 model has TB3

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

You'll lose about 20-30% of the potential performance of the 1080 in a Thunderbolt 3 dock depending on the scenario.  It'll still kick the crap out of the laptop 1050.  Though, realistically, after dock and GPU purchase why not buy a desktop.

Im going into the military , not really trying to bring a desktop onto barracks. 

Just now, ccryt said:

Im going into the military , not really trying to bring a desktop onto barracks. 

Ah, fair enough.

1 minute ago, ccryt said:

I definitely understand and I'm prepared to leave this laptop in the next year or two. But for now I just want a cheap option to enjoy some modern games. 

Then look for deals on boxes plus GPU but later down the line you should get a good gaming laptop which might cost more but will give you better build thermals, a better display, etc.

1 minute ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Only the 1060 model has TB3

And here is the twist in the story....

Just now, Tarun10 said:

are you sure i see the TB3 port on the side and it has the thunderbolt program installed

4 minutes ago, ccryt said:

are you sure i see the TB3 port on the side and it has the thunderbolt program installed

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g3-17-gaming/spd/g-series-17-3779-laptop

Ports & Slots

1. 2-in-1 SD / MicroMedia card | 2. USB 3.1 Gen 2 | 3. Noble lock security slot | 4. Power/DC-in Jack | 5. Optional Type-C™ Thunderbolt™ 3* with support for 40 Gbps Thunderbolt and DisplayPort | 6. HDMI 2.0 | 7. Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 | 8. SuperSpeed USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A | 9. Headphone/Mic

*only available on systems with the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060MQ video card

It's also possible you have a different revision than these sales documents though, or maybe it's Thunderbolt 2, or you're mistaken on the model you have.

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g3-17-gaming/spd/g-series-17-3779-laptop

Ports & Slots

1. 2-in-1 SD / MicroMedia card | 2. USB 3.1 Gen 2 | 3. Noble lock security slot | 4. Power/DC-in Jack | 5. Optional Type-C™ Thunderbolt™ 3* with support for 40 Gbps Thunderbolt and DisplayPort | 6. HDMI 2.0 | 7. Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 | 8. SuperSpeed USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A | 9. Headphone/Mic

*only available on systems with the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060MQ video card

https://www.adorama.com/deg37797934b.html?discontinued=t tb3?

6 minutes ago, ccryt said:

Yep no TB3 port. I suggest you undervolt your CPU and GPU to get a little better performance for now. Save up around 1400-1700$ for a good GTX 1070 or 1060 laptop. 1080 laptops usually have bad thermals or are very bulky.

13 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

And yet no one realized that...

4 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

1080 laptops usually have bad thermals or are very bulky.

Agree. 1080 is hard to be cooled in laptops, even the bulky ones

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

1 minute ago, GeneXiS_X said:

And yet no one realized that...

Agree. 1080 is hard to be cooled in laptops, even the bulky ones

I remember you mentioned it many times before in other posts but it didn't strike me. Lucky he didn't buy a 1000$ eGPU setup to have it not work. 

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Well, 1160 laptops are already in planning so, there's that.

Max-Q also seems to be decently good if priced well.

Wait im confused, I see a typce C usb with a thunderbolt thingie on the side of it. is that not a sign of TB?

2 minutes ago, ccryt said:

Wait im confused, I see a typce C usb with a thunderbolt thingie on the side of it. is that not a sign of TB?

Probably means it can be used as a charge port if im not mistaken. 

2 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Lucky he didn't buy a 1000$ eGPU setup to have it not work. 

That's what worries me

2 hours ago, ccryt said:

USB C is not always equal to TB3. Mind taking a photo of the symbol?

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler